Terminal as desktop instead of wallpaper

Forum Forums General Screenshots Terminal as desktop instead of wallpaper

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Sep 29-3:54 pm by oops.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    anti-apXos

I’ve always liked having a terminal for my desktop instead of a wallpaper. That way the Show Desktop key shortcut and taskbar button just give you a terminal. It’s also a convenient way to launch apps without having to go through any menus or use the App Selector.

Generally the way I’ve done this done is by having a full screen terminal with no window decorations and set as the lowest layer. Getting it to work properly in antiX with icewm and urxvt took a little more work than I expected since I had to use a combination of winoptions settings and urxvt command line options, but once set up it works just as expected.

Here’s the command I use to launch urxvt, placed in ~/.icewm/startup so it comes up at boot:

urxvt -name vt-desk -cr lightgrey -uc -bc +sb -bl -geometry 150x41+0+33 &

and here’s the lines I added to ~/.icewm/winoptions:

vt-desk.URxvt.layer: Desktop
      vt-desk.URxvt.ignoreWinList: 1
      vt-desk.URxvt.ignoreTaskBar: 1
      vt-desk.Urxvt.ignoreNoFocusHint: 1

I didn’t realize urxvt had such a comprehensive list of commandline options. The “-cr lightgrey -uc -bc” part is all just to have an underline cursor, which looks just like the default Show Desktop button on the icewm toolbar, almost as if it’s meant to be!

The -name option in urxvt is especially cool and allows you to have multiple instances of urxvt with different settings in winoptions. For instance, I also set up urxvt to be a sort of taskbar dropdown, like the battery info shown in the second screenshot.

That tool gets launched with a shortcut in my personal menu like this:

urxvt -name vt-popup -dockapp -bl -geometry 40x20+1001+33 -e watch cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent

and uses these winoptions:

vt-popup.URxvt.tray: Exclusive
      vt-popup.URxvt.icon: arrow-down
      vt-popup.URxvt.layer: OnTop

The result is pretty cool and I expect I’ll end up making several of these little terminal-based widgets for different purposes.

• This topic was modified 7 months ago by anti-apXos.
      anti-apXos

Update: After playing around more, I see that using ‘urxvtcd’ instead of ‘urxvt’ to start this terminal on the desktop makes more sense. This starts urxvt in daemon mode, which means that any additional urxvt instances you start after will use much less memory. Additional instances just need to be launched with ‘urxvtc’ instead of ‘urxvt.’

A very cool feature.

When you set it as the default terminal in zzzFM, there’s a warning that urxvtc may not support some features, but so far everything has worked for me.

oops

Hello,
          A good idea, I will try.

oops

Tried. That’s work great, even with a wallpaper.jpg
            urxvt -name vt-desk -cr lightgrey -uc -bc +sb -bl -geometry 90x30-10-32 -bg rgba:0000/0000/0000/4444 -fg "[80]pink" -fade 40 -backgroundPixmap "/usr/share/backgrounds/mine.jpg"

anti-apXos

Nice one! I hadn’t thought of that. Why choose when you can have both a terminal AND wallpaper on your desktop.

From my testing, you can’t also have files on the desktop if you do this since they end up underneath the terminal window.

You can have Conky, though.

oops

Thank you mostly to you for this good idea. (need sometime a “clear” for the wallpaper clear 😉 … and maximized with the full screen resolution in pixels )

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by oops.
                • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by oops.
                blur13

I like this! Other terminals also support naming the windows, alacritty –class name, st -n name. I use this extensively in combination with winoptions.

oops

I like this! Other terminals also support naming the windows, alacritty –class name, st -n name. I use this extensively in combination with winoptions.

alacritty. Good to know, but not a lot I guess.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.