testing 5.10 kernel

Forum Forums antiX-development Development testing 5.10 kernel

• This topic has 84 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Nov 22-11:30 am by ModdIt.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

There have been reports of issues with the 5.10 kernel.

My latest build is available for testing here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/

I would like feedback from those who have had issues with any antiX 5.10 kernel.

NOTE: This kernel on my lenovo box boots but my hp mouse is not detected.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

calciumsodium

I tried this new kernel (5.10.142) on two separate computers. In both cases, I cannot power down. The terminal screen pauses at the prompt: powering down.

I can reboot with this new kernel.

When I revert back to the 5.10.137 kernel, I can power down.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by calciumsodium.
        • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by calciumsodium.
        Wallon

Thanks anticapitalista,

I am also affected by this problem with my new laptop that I bought second hand. It is a Dell Latitude 5590 with 16Go RAM (Intel Core i5-8350U cpu) made in 2019. This professional laptop is UBUNTU certified. Debian even has the keyboard for this business laptop. All FN keys on my keyboard are functional. It is really a pleasure to work with this laptop and antiX.
          The Dell Latitude 5590 is pure Intel juice. There is no AMD or NVIDIA graphics card. It is the normal i915 driver to manage the graphics chipset.
          As I have screen tearing, I also have to add a “20-intel.conf” file in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory with the script that works fine.
          If I use a 5.10 kernel and the script to remove screen tearing, the laptop freezes completely. I have to leave my finger on the OFF button for 7 seconds and the USB stick doesn’t work anymore.
          I don’t have this problem with other kernels (4 or 5.18)
          I did some research on the internet. The 5.10 kernel creates a lot of problems for Intel CPUs that use the i915 driver. It is said that this kernel has been botched for Intel CPUs. That’s why I didn’t put anything on the antiX forum.

For your test, I downloaded your 2 files “linux-headers…” and “linux-image…”. As these are 2 “deb” files, I have to do sudo apt install. But which file should I start with? Do I have to redo the grub?
          Would you please give me the right commands?
          I’m going to do this on an installed version and not on a live USB stick.

Best regards,
          Wallon

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

I tested on my Sid install which runs 10.5.104 without problems that I am aware of.

Booting 5.10.142 only produced a blinking line and there was no icon indicating hard drive activity.

I am not sure if any video boot codes might have helped; I couldn’t remember how to set “failsafe” or safe boot on the grub editing menu.

If you think that will make a difference, I will be happy to retry if a particular code (or codes) are recommended.

stevesr0

Robin

Hello Wallon,

As these are 2 “deb” files, I have to do sudo apt install. But which file should I start with? Do I have to redo the grub? Would you please give me the right commands?

This is actually very easy.
              Open a console window (e.g. Roxterm)
              type in:
              sudo apt-get update
              (this makes sure the apt database copy on your pc has the most recent information about changes)
              sudo apt-get upgrade
              (this updates all packages of your system to the most recent version available, so no compatibility issues with outdated packages installed on your system should occur when installing the new kernel.)
              sudo apt-get install './linux-headers….deb' './linux-image….deb'
              (this installs your two packages. Make sure you have moved (cd) to the folder the debian packages are residing in. Instead moving to the folder you can also replace the leading ./ by the fully qualified path to the packages, e.g. copied from zzzFM context menu “Edit → Copy path”. In this case you’ll notice the single quotes around the paths are added automatically by zzzFM, but they are actually needed only in case of blanks within the pathname. Watch carefully for any error messages within the console output here.)

That’s all. The grub entries should get updated automatically by the postinstall scripts included within the kernel package.
              So just reboot and select the new kernel from the grub menu. If it fails coming up, reboot again and select the former kernel from the grub menu.

And in case you have too many kernels installed and run out of disk space, use
              sudo apt-get purge linux-headers… linux-image…
              to remove unused old kernels which you don’t want to keep any longer from your system. (Replace the … by the actual kernel package identifier you want to get rid of)

To get an idea which old kernels you have installed on a system the commands are:

apt list --installed | grep linux-image
              apt list --installed | grep linux-headers

From this output you can copy the proper package names for removal.
              But make sure not to remove the recently used kernel your system is running accidentally. Which kernel actually is running you can find out with the command
              uname -a

Many greetings
              Robin

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

@anticapitalista: I can confirm 5.10.104-antix.1-amd64-smp runs fine here, no issues. Hadn’t time to upgrade to the most recent 5.10.x versions, sorry.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

mikey777

I would like feedback from those who have had issues with any antiX 5.10 kernel.

I’ve just tried antiX version 142: as before, with previous antiX 5.10 versions, it has failed to boot an Asus X71Q.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
                  - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                  ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
                  - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                  - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

Brian Masinick

No wonder the Dell Inspiron has issues but the Acer Aspire does not – the Inspiron 5558 also uses Intel i915 graphic card; Acer does not.

My recent inxi and pinxi information listings should confirm that but if not I will run a report with the G options and verify…

The solution appears to be to use a kernel without the Intel graphics defects; I have read that Debian based distributions tend to exhibit this but if we can isolate and figure out where the problem is located maybe a patch or replacement will fix the issue.

--
                    Brian Masinick

mikey777

On an Asus X71Q: I’ve just downloaded & installed image & headers for 5.10 version 142, for both the linux-libre and antiX kernels for direct comparison.
                      This is what I found: laptop boots normally with linux-libre version, but doesn’t complete booting with the antiX one.

- (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

olsztyn

My results of testing kernel 5.10.142:

Tested on antiX 21 runit Live.
                        – Installed kernel 5.10.142 as provided
                        – Remastered Live and rebooted
                        – Switched kernel from 5.10.104 to 5.10.142.
                        – Booted new kernel: Starts booting but fails to find linuxfs due to not detecting USB. Detects just sda (hd) partitions and sr0.
                        – Choosing ‘p’ to power-off fails to power off.

I may want to install Live on hd and re-test from sda, but without usb support usefulness is limited even if works fine from sda, except with no power-off capability…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by olsztyn.
                        • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

I rebuilt another one.
                          Available from same link with suffix antix2.

This should work for most people (unlike the previous build).

Anyone got any links showing intel and 5.10 kernel issues?
                          I find it very hard to believe that upstream kernel.org has not fixed this.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

calciumsodium

I tried this second version of the new kernel (5.10.142 v2) on a computer that uses the intel i915 driver.

Boots up good.
                            Powers down good.
                            Plays youtube video with ytfzf good.
                            Plays youtube video with firefox good.
                            Plays youtube video with google chrome good.

Have not seen any problems so far.

$ inxi -b
                            System:    Host: jakersfan Kernel: 5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: IceWM 2.4.0 
                                       Distro: antiX-bullseye-b1_x64-full Grup Yorum 11 June 2021 
                            Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Acer model: Aspire XC-703G serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends 
                                       v: P11-B2 date: 08/28/2014 
                            CPU:       Quad Core: Intel Celeron J1900 type: MCP speed: 2156 MHz min/max: 1333/2416 MHz 
                            Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display driver: i915 v: kernel 
                                       Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
                                       resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
                                       OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (BYT) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.3.4 
                            Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
                                       Device-2: Realtek 802.11n type: USB driver: rtl8188fu 
                            Drives:    Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 21.85 GiB (9.4%) 
                            Info:      Processes: 152 Uptime: N/A Memory: 7.66 GiB used: 201.5 MiB (2.6%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.36 
                            jakersfan@jakersfan:~

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by calciumsodium. Reason: added info about google chrome
                            caprea

I also encountered problems with freezes with the 5.10 kernels on a lenovo laptop with the intel i915 driver.
                              But for me it was the opposite from Waloons experience, the freezes were there as long I used the modesetting driver.
                              If a “20-intel.conf” is created in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and the intel driver is used (also together with the screentearing solution) the freezes are gone.
                              Going to download the 5.10.142 kernel and will report.

mikey777

I rebuilt another one.
                                Available from same link with suffix antix2.
                                This should work for most people (unlike the previous build).

Feedback: running antix2-142 gives same negative result as the antix1-142 version of kernel 5.10, running on the Asus X71Q laptop.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by mikey777.

Wallon

Be careful, the kernel can be installed very well and antiX can also work but you need to go further in the tests.
                                  You need to launch Firefox or Chromium or Google Chrome.
                                  The final test that freezes my Dell Latitude is zzzfm. Each time, antiX is paralized with the “20-intel.conf” file in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory with a 5.10 kernel!

If you want a confirmation on the internet, you have to type the words “screen tearing kernel 5.10”. Many Linux distributions talk about problems with this kernel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.