The Philosophy behind my attachment with antiX

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX The Philosophy behind my attachment with antiX

• This topic has 30 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Oct 20-9:17 am by rayluo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

The capitalist would want to make more money by coaxing the consumer, to buy new and improved products, the consumers would get themselves busy trying to become a ‘greater’ consumer. The capitalists encourage the consumer to yield and the consumer perseveres to yield. However there are some people who do not want to participate in this Cat & Mouse game. They neither want to be the Cat nor the Mouse.

How many people want the latest, hi-tech hardware that can run the latest software? I presume, most of them just get carried away by the current and trend. Most home users don’t have to change their Hardware. They can ply on what they have. However, Microsoft and Apple want to offer us new things, better things, but the question is, are they necessary for everybody. They are not. Manufacturers make it inevitable. They stop support for older platforms, and bring newer versions which require newer machines. An average home user can continue to use the ten year old computer, for his simple home use tasks. Why should they buy new hardware and the new software? This is where Antix, comes in. What Antix says on its FAQ page is very much true.

antiX should run on most computers, ranging from 192MB old PII systems with pre-configured 128MB swap to the latest powerful boxes.

antiX-core and antiX-net will run with 128MB RAM plus swap, but don’t expect miracles!

192MB RAM is the recommended minimum for antiX. 256MB RAM and above is preferred especially for antiX-full.

antiX-full needs a 5GB minimum hard disk size. antiX-base needs 3GB and antiX-core needs 1GB. antiX-net needs 0.7GB.  

I have two machines one almost 30 years old and another 10 years old. Both run smoothly on antiX, and do their job without posing any problems. Moreover I have another one with latest hardware, which will soon be outdated and useless by market standards in a few years. If I go by the trend I will have to throw it away and buy a new one. Thank to antiX, I need not.

The OS on any newest machine would also loose support in time.

FLOSS development is a revolution.

When, Eric S. Raymond said “Every good work of software starts by scratching a developer’s personal itch” in his book “The Cathedral and the Bazaar”, he was wrong.

The “FLOSS developers” does not start working on a software, to scratch his personal itch. They do it to keep themselves self reliant and others who join hands with them.

However, Eric S. Raymond was right in saying “Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix obvious to someone and a large user base leads to rapid code improvement and effective debugging.”. That’s the advantage of the benevolent FLOSS revolution.

Is antiX, good?

You have to try it to know it.

Of the 4 flavors, Full, Base, Core and Net, I have tested and am using Full and Base.

Full is for those who want a ready-made, out of the box system.

Those who want to go through a bit of learning process and install applications they want, they can go for Base. Though it is a bit of a learning curve to those who are totally new to Linux and antiX, it is fun to learn and tweak. I had set up a Base system and it worked fine. If you need, I have given a step by step HowTo guide to install antiX, here (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/step-by-step-guide-to-install-antix-base/). Additionally, you have the fantastic forum, that is ready to help with any issue.

FRUGAL INSTALL

Moreover, there is the most interesting option, apart from all the above, the Frugal install. Though I was aware of this, I simply felt, it is not for me, without even testing it, before @Olsztyn, whom I can’t thank enough, initiated me into it (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-create-isolated-underprevileged-but-standard-user-accounts/). I just love its speed and crispiness. Can you imagine? It boots up in less than 38 seconds flat, on my computer with an early i3 processor. With a Frugal install you should certainly look at changing to Extlinux or Syslinux, as the bootloaders. They are simple and just do what they are intended to do. @Christophe and @Olsztyn have given guidance here (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/booting-antix-frugal-only-from-hdd-without-any-full-installed-os-with-extlinux/) to setup Extlinux and Syslinux.

One great advantage of Frugal install is, you can tweak, mess with your system, however you want, without worrying about breaking your system. Once you restart, your system is as it was before, fresh and clean, lean and mean. It is the best setup to learn Linux.

Moreover Frugal install is secure. Malicious programs cannot do permanent damage to your system. Once you restart, it is fresh as before. Read Olsztyn’s posts in this (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-create-isolated-underprevileged-but-standard-user-accounts/) discussion.

Thank you antiX team and all the members of the forum.

Thanks & Regards

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by anilkagi.
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Thank you for your essay; it’s worth reading and contains helpful and useful information and opinions.

Brian Masinick

@ Anilkagi:
    In the posts you quoted on Frugal I was just a humble messenger. The original message on the antiX Frugal architecture and implementation was conveyed in antiX tutorials and videos by Dolphin_Oracle, one of antiX’ great leaders. Frugal/Live architecture is perhaps the strongest aspect of antiX…
    Just as my conjecture, the pseudonym Dolphin_Oracle I understand as a paraphrase of ‘Delphi Oracle’, which is the ancient oracle in Greece, conveying message of the will of the gods… Just my interpretation…

One great advantage of Frugal install is, you can tweak, mess with your system, however you want, without worrying about breaking your system. Once you restart, your system is as it was before, fresh and clean, lean and mean. It is the best setup to learn Linux.

clarification for the benefit of future readers:

When booting a frugally installed antiX system, “fresh and clean” at each boot isn’t the only option.
    During each boot, you can choose whether or not to enable persistence.
    ref:
    http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html#_frugal_install
    and
    The Most Extensive Live-usb on the Planet!

The original message on the antiX Frugal architecture and implementation was conveyed in antiX tutorials and videos by Dolphin_Oracle, one of antiX’ great leaders.

However, there was a great self made barrier between me & the message and the videos. I thought it (Frugal install) was not for me. You broke that barrier. Without you highlighting the usefulness of Frugal install for my setup, I wouldn’t have cared to go through that info material. Even before this, while I was testing DSL or Puppy or some other, which one I don’t remember, or both, I had come across the Frugal install, but I didn’t care to get acquainted with it. Thanks again for introducing the Frugal install.

Thanks Skidoo.

clarification for the benefit of future readers:

When booting a frugally installed antiX system, “fresh and clean” at each boot isn’t the only option.
    ref:
    http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html#_frugal_install
    and
    The Most Extensive Live-usb on the Planet!

Just so people appreciate this, I’ve been using Live CDs and other live media (more recently the small pocket-sized USB devices) to have a live booting experience. One of the reasons I latched onto MEPIS was that it was a relatively light distribution that ran quite well with a Live CD, considering the size and speed of hardware and the capabilities of distributions at the time.

When antiX was introduced, it was even more nimble than MEPIS; both were excellent systems to run in Live mode; today MX Linux and antiX remain excellent examples of “live” system technologies and our distribution has come up with additional names for the capabilities – “persistence”, Frugal, and the ability to handle persistence at the root system level, the home folder, or both. Though our distributions are not the only ones capable of “live” operation, and some also include persistence, these features have been improved over the years and are mature and reliable. Frugal systems are convenient, flexible, generally fast, and portable (easy to carry in a pocket).

Though I have used both live systems and the frugal systems with persistence, I have not necessarily made them an every day thing. I also have a lot of time, effort, and resources that have been expended on systems with several different distributions installed on the disk. I have recently added a freely available USB utility called Ventoy, and I have copied several ISO images (from which distributions are built) onto the Ventoy system.

I did a bit of work with antiX in that configuration; to me the Ventoy is a great way to store and recall numerous system images, but it’s not ideal for the effective use of persistence; for that I recommend a device devoted to the live instance, coupled with Frugal and/or persistence capabilities. Since I work with all of these technologies, that’s why I do not devote all of my time to frugal and persistent images – I definitely USE them, just not every day. When I am either traveling or I am experimenting, those are the most likely times I will use a pocket-sized system image and take full advantage of antiX and it’s many great persistence features. Right now I’m using antiX in another effective way – permanently installed on my multi distribution computer system.

Brian Masinick

ref:

My understanding is that Anilkagi is fully aware of various persistence options for booting Frugals, that can be specified on each entry in Extlinux.conf and ‘No-Persistence’ Frugal was adopted on purpose as one of such options.
    Considering that the quoted original documentation appears to assume one Frugal only in any given partition, such limitation is not in reality a requirement and you can have multiple Frugal installations as presented by Dolphin_Oracle using Grub entries or using Extlinux boot entries documented by Christophe.
    The capability of having multiple Frugals in partition, each with their own persistence specification is very powerful and the quoted original documentation seems way behind what Dolphin_Oracle presents in video, what Christophe documented as Extlinux procedure and what has been implemented in practice by Anilkagi.
    These powerful capabilities are unique to antiX for the main reason that:

– antiX Frugals are enclosed in compact linuxfs files containing the entire system in half the size, which means faster read on slower speed media.
    – antiX provides all the tools to manage Live and Frugal instances, such as Live USB Maker, Remaster, ISO snapshot, which means replicating of Frugals or Live instances a piece of cake. This completeness of important management tools is not typically provided with other distros…

One capability that is critical for Live USB antiX installs, which does not seem to have been implemented for Frugal installs is encryption. I have not yet done experimenting with such implementation but perhaps antiX team would like to chime in whether such encryption of Frugal instances is possible to accomplish?
    Thanks and Regards…

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.
    christophechristophe

That’s my favorite part of antiX — the live system. I suppose it’s because I mess up sometimes, and I like the ability to just delete my persistence file if I do. But the freedom of application — regular install or live system — as well as the flexibilty of “only” the window managers (no DE) — are excellent features. I enjoy how there are 4 choices (and more “sub-choices” with rox/space/min desktops sessions). And the integration of of the desktops into one “antiX DE” is seamless. The only reason this isn’t called a DE, it seems to me, is that it isn’t packaged separately for other system users (such as debian, arch, etc.) to download & install for their systems. And it’s light enough to work on all old & new hardware I’ve come across.
    I could go on and on, I suppose. But I see antiX as “my” OS. I think I’ll be here as long as antiX remains.

When I am either traveling or I am experimenting, those are the most likely times I will use a pocket-sized system image and take full advantage of antiX and it’s many great persistence features.

The frugal persistence is the best for mobile computing.

Nicely put, Christophe.

It is my favorite too, now. Coupled with extlinux, it is a beauty. A simple but powerful system.

That’s my favorite part of antiX — the live system.

Live and Frugal, which is HD instance of Live are not only my favorites but also the only antiX implementations I am using…
    As Frugals are the entire antiX system contained in one linuxfs file about half the size of traditional antiX installation, it should be faster on read operation on slower media than tradional antiX installs. I did not perform any formal benchmarks though, so it is based on my conjecture.

Also antiX is the only distro I know that includes all important Live/Frugal management tools – Live USB Maker, Remaster and ISO Snapshot, which makes cloning and management a piece of cake… The only important capability included with Live and missing for Frugals is encryption.
    I will be experimenting with somehow porting encryption capability to Frugals but perhaps our antiX team would know if it is possible to implement…
    Thanks and Regards…

The only important capability included with Live and missing for Frugals is encryption.

Oh, I didn’t know this.

I will be experimenting with somehow porting encryption capability to Frugals but perhaps our antiX team would know if it is possible to implement…

👍

How many people want the latest, hi-tech hardware that can run the latest software? I presume, most of them just get carried away by the current and trend. Most home users don’t have to change their Hardware. They can ply on what they have. However, Microsoft and Apple want to offer us new things, better things, but the question is, are they necessary for everybody. They are not. Manufacturers make it inevitable. They stop support for older platforms, and bring newer versions which require newer machines. An average home user can continue to use the ten year old computer, for his simple home use tasks. Why should they buy new hardware and the new software? This is where Antix, comes in.

Many of us do want the latest. Not all of us can afford it. Some of us don’t need it.

Most people just want their computer to work. If it no longer works the way they need it to work they look to replace it with something else that will work. Given the lack of understanding about computers in general it is no surprise that most people buy new, rather than repair a used computer. You are of course correct about the need for capitalist manufacturers to continue to sell new stuff and stop supporting old platforms. Then again, how many of us want to use an old IBM PC for word processing when we can have a new computer that also does video editing and HD games? Buying new is not inherently wrong. But throwing away perfectly good equipment is not always right either.

For those of us who can take advantage of it, antiX is in fact a great solution for keeping older equipment useful and productive. Not everyone needs a new computer. But they may not know how to make antiX or any other alternative software platform work for them. That’s where people like us come in. But in practical terms we will remain a small cottage community and not in the mainstream of computer hardware and software. That’s because the majority of computer users either don’t know what antiX is or they have the money to buy what they want at the local store. Some of us do not need or want the latest, but we are in the minority. For many who cannot afford a new computer from the local store, or don’t even have local computer stores, then guys like us can be a great resource for someone who is willing to take a chance on something different than what the mainstream has to offer.

Thanks for sharing your philosophy behind your attachment to antiX.

Seaken64

@seaken64: I agree with you.
    I primarily use pre-installed software, but I also have a nice supply of USB stick devices that I use to install antiX on additional old equipment and also to bring with me on trips.

I run antiX more often on the older ones but I have it (or MX Linux) on all of my regular computer systems.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.