The update on 01/10/2023 lost translations of the first level menus

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” The update on 01/10/2023 lost translations of the first level menus

• This topic has 62 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Jan 29-5:52 pm by Wallon.
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    Dave

The updated package would have changed the file /etc/skel/.icewm/menu which then desktop-session would see as being newer than the ~/.icewm/menu file and copy it over from /etc/skel to ~/.

When was the configuration of desktop-session set? I do not know but generally since the time the user was created. Otherwise it would have needed to be manually copied there at sometime.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Robin

Great work, Dave!
        Your finding explains clearly how the change of menu and taskbar, being updated from /etc/skel after package installation, occurs.

I believe the best way to fix the issue completely (along with the new account wrong English language issue after update) is to craft the antiX package desktop-defaults-icewm-antix to respect the master language of a system when updating the files in /etc/skel to make sure they match the language present there before. We should keep in mind the /etc/skel files are present in proper language in antiX, so they should be replaced by updates in proper language also (these are present in the package already!) rather than by a reset to English. As mentioned somewhere before, this could be achieved easily by a postinstall script within the package: Check for system master language, then copy the proper (updated) installed language version to the /etc/skel folder, give user chance to check the localised update vs. previous localised version.

When then running desktop-session from the apt-hook, it will no longer change the menu to another language, and the same time new user accounts will keep to be created in the expected language properly after package-update.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Wallon

Dear All,

Here is an additional observation.

On my USB sticks, every time I said “yes” to the upgrade, I lost my main menu in French. But I can use the submenus in Google Chrome!

Every time I said “no” for the upgrade, I kept my main menu in French but the Google Chrome sub-menus don’t work anymore.

I’m surprised that no one has talked about the benefits or improvements of this upgrade.

Best regards,
          Wallon

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.