The volume icon disappeared

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo The volume icon disappeared

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Sep 7-10:17 pm by caprea.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wilson

Greetings, I installed antiX 23 yesterday. Configure and 2 things happened to me.

1. All the applications in the start menu, in the applications submenu, disappeared. I searched the forum and fixed it.

2. The other thing that happened is that the volumeicon disappeared. At startup I was able to read that there was an error with alsa mixer, but I don’t know what the terminal command is to read the startup messages. I have not modified the file that is in /home/wilson/.desktop-session, I found that out by doing some research. The only thing that activated was ClipIt. So my question is: How do I recover the volumeicon in the icewm taskbar when starting icewm? I also tried and something similar happens to me with the other windows managers.

And a third thing I went into Synaptic and I noticed that there is the UMTS-Panel package, I think it is keeping it anti-capitalist. I installed the mentioned package and it didn’t work. It showed me an error related to gtk when I tried to open its GUI interface through the terminal. And when I tried to open its interface in the internet applications menu, it didn’t open either. This information as I don’t know where to put it, I transmit it here.

abc-nix

2. The other thing that happened is that the volumeicon disappeared.

Is this antiX base or full? If it is antiX full, probably it is related to pipewire. If it is, try this proposed solution:

I have found that adding the launch option inside pipewire.conf seems to work properly.

Make a custom folder for pipewire in your config folder
        mkdir $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire
        Copy the default config file for pipewire
        cp /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire/
        Edit $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pipewire/pipewire.conf and add anywhere inside context.exec
        { path = "wireplumber" args = "" }
        or
        { path = "/usr/bin/wireplumber" args = "" }

Optionally, you could also add pipewire-pulse in the same manner,

Then, edit /usr/local/bin/pipewire-start with privileges and remove or comment the line that launches wireplumber (and pipewire-pulse if you also added it into the pipewire config file).

Save and reboot.

Now we only need people who suffer with the volume-icon problem to test. I rebooted the live system a few times and it seems to work OK. I didn’t touch the volume-icon sleep delay though.

And a third thing I went into Synaptic and I noticed that there is the UMTS-Panel package

I have read that network manager includes mobile broadband functionality (though the init service is no longer provided, so you will have to search for it on the internet). Also, this antiX user said that other packages work:

Mobile Broadband works also using gnome-ppp and Wvdial. Both of them are included in antiX 22.

wilson

Very grateful for the answer. Yes, I have full antiX. I copied the commands into the terminal and it created the pipewire.conf file for me, in /home/wilson/.config/pipewire , I opened this file, locate the context.exe part:

**************************************************** ************************
          context.exec = [
          #{ path = <program-name> [ args = “<arguments>” ] }
          #
          # Execute the given program with arguments.
          #
          # You can optionally start the session manager here,
          # but it is better to start it as a systemd service.
          # Run the session manager with -h for options.
          #
          #{ path = “/usr/bin/pipewire-media-session” args = “” }
          #
          # You can optionally start the pulseaudio-server here as well
          # It can be interesting to start another daemon here that listens
          # on another address with the -a option (eg. -a tcp:4713).
          #
          #{ path = “/usr/bin/pipewire” args = “-c pipewire-pulse.conf” }
          #
          # modify it like this, option 1
          { path = “wireplumber” args = “” }
          { path = “pipewire-pulse” args = “” }
          ]
          and also like this:

context.exec = [
          #{ path = <program-name> [ args = “<arguments>” ] }
          #
          # Execute the given program with arguments.
          #
          # You can optionally start the session manager here,
          # Run the session manager with -h for options.
          #
          #{ path = “/usr/bin/pipewire-media-session” args = “” }
          #
          # You can optionally start the pulseaudio-server here as well
          # It can be interesting to start another daemon here that listens
          # on another address with the -a option (eg. -a tcp:4713).
          #
          #{ path = “/usr/bin/pipewire” args = “-c pipewire-pulse.conf” }
          #
          # modify it like this, option 2
          { path = “/usr/bin/wireplumber” args = “” }
          { path = “/usr/bin/pipewire-pulse” args = “” }
          ]
          But it didn’t work for me, have I done something wrong?

the pipewire-start file located at /usr/local/bin/pipewire-start

comment it like this:

“#!/bin/bash”
          pidof pipewire || pipewire &
          #pidof wireplumber || wire plumber &
          #pidof pipewire-pulse || pipewire-pulse &

but the volume icon still does not appear, that’s why I ask: I did something wrong. He also mentioned that I’m just a newbie, I don’t know programming. I have only learned by researching and testing.

Regarding these points:

I have read that network manager includes mobile broadband functionality (although the init service is no longer provided, so you will have to search for it on the internet). Also, this antiX user said that other packages work:

RJP wrote:
          Mobile Broadband works also using gnome-ppp and Wvdial. Both of them are included in antiX 22.

I have a usb modem that still works, but I haven’t used it, I’m going to try what you mention in this answer and if I can’t, I’ll check again, because I would like a simple way to connect it, with sakis3g it’s problematic.

wilson

This part where “#!/bin/bash” has quotes, in my file I wrote it like this:
            #!/bin/bash

The one above was put in quotes, intentionally. I was going to correct it, but I couldn’t. My code is like this:
            #!/bin/bash

Sorry for the mistake.

abc-nix

Sorry for jumping to conclusions before checking the basics.

Lets check first if pipewire is running. Run in terminal:
              pgrep -l wire
              It should list pipewire, wireplumber and pipewire-pulse

Now check to see if volumeicon starts from terminal, and if it doesn’t, share the error message you see.
              volumeicon

If it shows up, then for some reason it didn’t start from the starup file properly. Edit $HOME/.desktop-session/startup
              xdg-open $HOME/.desktop-session/startup
              find the line that has voumeicon and add a few seconds to the sleep command. It could look like this:
              sleep 7 && volumeicon &

And reboot.

If something fails on any of the steps above, stop there and report what error you found.

wilson

I use:

pgrep -l wire: should list pipewire, wireplomber and pipewire-pulse:

$ pgrep -l wire
                2247 pipewire-start
                2249 pipewire
                2431 wireplumber
                2436 pipewire-pulse

If they appear

Now check if volumeicon is launched from the terminal and if not, please share the error message you see.
                volumeicon

Yes, volumeicon is started from the terminal.

My startup file configuration file in $HOME/.desktop-session/startup looks like this:

## Puts a volume icon on the taskbar
                sleep 5 && volume icon &

Now it’s like this

## Puts a volume icon on the taskbar
                sleep 5 && volume icon &

The solution to put it in sleep 7 worked! It is something strange for me.

This is the solution. Why would adding 2 sleep to it work?

wilson

The other doubt of the 3g modem. It was difficult for me to install it. Can I ask right here?

I read what RJP wrote, but there is no solution, clue or hint to reach a solution.

Before with umts in antix 17, if it worked relatively well, but not now. Here where I’m from this technology still works.

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

umts uses the now deprecated python2 so is no longer supported

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

abc-nix

The solution to put it in sleep 7 worked! It is something strange for me.

For some computers, pipewire may take longer to start. It could be because of dbus not being ready, or simply there are too many services or processes asking the CPU for attention that it is delayed.

The other doubt of the 3g modem.

You could try the other solutions proposed, or decide to replace connman with NetworkManager.

It has been some years since I last used a 3G modem, so I can’t help here. Here is what I found searching the web:
                      3g Modem configuration on Debian
                      3G Modem configuration with Network Manager (for Ubuntu, but it should work with Debian).

If you decide to follow the Network Manager path, you will need the service file for your init system.
                      This one is for sysvinit (place it in /etc/init.d and then run in terminal: sudo update-rc.d network-manager defaults)

If using runit, I think there was one published on the forum, but I cannot find it right now.
                      Edit: found this forum post.
                      How to install NetworkManager in antiX 23 runit

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by abc-nix. Reason: fix init.d instructions
                      caprea

What about sakis3g in antiX23, does it not work for you?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.