Things to do after installing antiX 19 (beta2)

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Things to do after installing antiX 19 (beta2)

• This topic has 76 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Nov 20-8:19 am by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Hooboy…
    Flashback to 2015

skiterm is a wonderful app, we’ve been using it locally for 4yrs.
    Didn’t bother arguing with fathead when he stepped on my rainbow…

The python+gtk app derived from clicompanion would have added about 72kb (kilobytes) to the ISO.

Plurality ?

although I would never use this (we do not “dist-upgrade”) <10kb amenity script which PPC has advocated…
    toward supporting PPC’s effort, I have further tweaked it https://gitlab.com/skidoo/odds-n-ends/blob/master/updater-misko.sh

and here’s another amenity script, “window switcher” (for any wm environemnt) suitable for Alt+Tab global keybind:

https://gitlab.com/skidoo/odds-n-ends/blob/master/winswitch-misko.sh

@PPC
    read the inline comments within the script. I still consider it to be a WIP; want it to test for general internet availability + test availability of each of the servers active in sources lists prior to attempting the update operation.

re: note the percentage always remains in “0%”
    fixed that and a few other rough edges which were attributable to the change from zenity to yad ~~ not all of their commandline options are identical.

Or, alternatively, you just get yourself Ubuntu updater. This one got installed in Wheezy times and still works flawlessly, despite 2 upgrades.

I would like to know the name of that package.
    Debian stretch+buster repos (still) have a similar “software-properties-gtk” package,
    but some of its functionality depends on (perl-driven) “aptdaemon”
    which has been dropped from the debian binaries repositories.

software-properties-gtk was maintained downstream in ubuntu & contains some features unsuitable for use with antiX/Debian (ubuntucloud ~~ install canonical-hosted OpenStack components) (install opensource and proprietary hardware drivers from launchpad-hosted PPA). By the time I ripped out the code for those, along with some other stuff I find opjectionable (packagekit//appstream) (apport ~~ uploading crashes/bugreports to remote server) (popcon, aka “popularity contest” telemetry)… the remainder still contained thousands of lines of code and spanned multiple packages (not counting appdaemon pkg) so… I decided to fuggedaboutit

fatmacfatmac

Didn’t bother arguing with fathead when he stepped on my rainbow…

Watch it, use the proper name, no matter what you think of my opinions, I’m still a moderator on here.

Yeah, I may be old fashioned in my opinions, but they work, no need for bloat in a lightweight system.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

on my current system, I don’t have roxterm. I had to experiment a bit, but came up with the following statement that at least works; it could be tweaked or modified to produce a simple, workable tool.

Hi, Mr Masinick (sorry if I’m too formal, but you look old enough to be my father): and yes, lxterminal is the default terminal in the current antix 17.X… but anticapitalista changed that to roxterm, in antiX 19, for some reason… (I read somewhere Rox file manager is no longer being maintened, and Roxterm’s last version is from December 2015- maybe the dev’s consider it to be “perfect”, meaning no longer needing new security upgrades or more features… that does not mean it’s no longer being actively developed, look at Fluxbox, for example, it’s latest oficial version is years old, but it’s still under development…).
    Your modified version it’s workable in the current antiX 17.X, but not antiX 19… Now users wanting to have this small amenity and try it in any antiX version!

P.S.- the single benefit from using this kind of “one line script” is that you the user can more easily create a icon to run it… For example, if you want to add a “update” icon to JWM desktop, just fire up the control centrel, edit JWM settings, edit it’s tray file and add:
    <TrayButton label="" icon="/usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/symbolic/emblems/emblem-synchronizing-symbolic.png" popup="antiX Updater">exec: sudo -k && roxterm --geometry 90x20+150+250 --hide-menubar -z 0.75 -T " antiX Updater- Please don't close this window" -e /bin/bash -c "gksudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade; yad --button=gtk-yes:0 --center --height=100 --width=350 --text-align=center --title="Updater" --text="Done.""</TrayButton>

(or your lxterminal version of the script, if using < antix 19) next to the other “traybutton” entries (or before the clock, if, like me the user likes the update icon there).
    When the user restarts the JWM desktop, there’s a shiny new GUI update antiX always available…
    It’s not as elaborate as the larger script I adapted, and Skidoo went full terminator on it, taking it to a next level of refinement, thanks for that, Skidoo!!! , but there’s no need to create a new script, somewhere, make it executable and create a new icon. It’s all in a simple config file!

@Skidoo: thanks, I’ll be testing your scripts and later, I’ll write some feedback!

P.

and here’s another amenity script, “window switcher” (for any wm environemnt) suitable for Alt+Tab global keybind:

@Skidoo – unfortunatly, on antiX 19b2 live, winswitch-misko.sh returned the error: “ERROR: 13 Dependency ‘/usr/bin/convert’ not met.”

Now, about your revamped updater-misko.sh:
    1- You removed the title bar icon… was there a thecnical reason for it or was it just a design option?
    The difference being every Yad window had a –window-icon=”$ic” option, and Ic was set as ic=/usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/symbolic/emblems/emblem-synchronizing-symbolic.png (or to a more colourfull /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22×22/categories/software-update-available.png (available on antix 19))?
    2- I read your notes, so I would stick with “Update” as Appname (line 33- I believe it’s a universal expression, like Hardware or Software, right?).
    My single “problem” with this script is that, if for some reason the Dev team decided to put it in the distro, it has really too much text to be easily translated, it would need one version of the script for every language antiX is provided!!!)
    It’s not a biggy, this is the kind of script where the user basicly clicks OK all the way through, even a rudimentary knowlege of english would sufice for the user to do this… I removed options, like “about” and “show log” to avoid confusion to a newbie user that just wants to update this OS and stay away from the terminal.

Off topic: More multilingual is the on-line script I already provided on a earlier post. The only things that needs translating is the Title window (that displays a warning, so newbies don’t close the “strange black window”) and the yad windows confirming the process is finished. Perhaps using “Ok” on the button and a icon instead of the blunt “Done.” message (something like /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22×22/status/dialog-information.png
    or /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/symbolic/status/process-completed-symbolic.png or /usr/share/icons/gnome/22×22/status/info.png or /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/16×16/status/package-install.png )

3- gksu was originaly sugested by misko, and it makes sense to me- because if the user does not want to update using the terminal, there’s no need to force the user typing the password in the cli… Is there any other simple way to do this and avoid displaying the terminal to enter a password?
    4- Lines 217-223 are kept just in case you want to re-add those options to the main menu, I guess you went along with my opinion…
    5- I like the idea of telling the user where the log is, it does not add unneeded features and still provides valuable information

Back to the main subject of this thread:

More stuff to do after installing antiX 19: get Chromium with accelerated video decoding running:
    For now it’s a potentially dangerous endeavour that I’m only trying “live”, it uses deb files meant for Ubuntu…:
    Go to https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+archive/ubuntu/chromium-dev , more precisely, https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+archive/ubuntu/chromium-dev/+packages
    Download these .deb files for Xenial, they work well in antiX 19: Chromium amd64 and codecs and vdpau video – install the codecs first (they are a dependency), then chromium…
    Note: also install h264ify chromium extension to get youtube videos running on 720dpi even on a intel single core netbook (at about 65- 70% cpu usage, only once in a while peaking to 90%-100%- smooth playback after the first couple of seconds)
    Note2: I really didn’t want a browser with hardware video decoding for viewing youtube videos (I have SMtube for that), I wanted it to have my tv streaming service running smoothy on that machine (without hardware decoding, the video stops about every 2 seconds, CPU always at 100%)- but no luck- Chromium seems to be missing some DRM stuff- anyonw knows how to go around that? I was to tired to experiment any further…

P.

XecureXecure

lxterminal is the default terminal in the current antix 17.X… but anticapitalista changed that to roxterm, in antiX 19, for some reason…

Your modified version it’s workable in the current antiX 17.X, but not antiX 19… Now users wanting to have this small amenity and try it in any antiX version!

It isn’t so difficult to make it “terminal agnostic”
    sudo -k && x-terminal-emulator -T " antiX Updater- Please don't close this window" -e /bin/bash -c "gksudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade; yad --button=gtk-yes:0 --center --height=100 --width=350 --text-align=center --title="Updater" --text="Done.""

Thanks for that- it makes the “basic” one line script universal across all antiX versions, but my original script had small “eye candy” stuff, like a more centered window (mine kept popping on wierd random positions (I believe related to the position of the last open window), without a menu and with particular window and font sizes – all mixed together to make the “updater” window look less like a “normal” terminal window (a bit silly, I know)…

P.

masinickmasinick

on my current system, I don’t have roxterm. I had to experiment a bit, but came up with the following statement that at least works; it could be tweaked or modified to produce a simple, workable tool.

Hi, Mr Masinick (sorry if I’m too formal, but you look old enough to be my father): and yes, lxterminal is the default terminal in the current antix 17.X… but anticapitalista changed that to roxterm, in antiX 19, for some reason… (I read somewhere Rox file manager is no longer being maintained, and Roxterm’s last version is from December 2015- maybe the dev’s consider it to be “perfect”, meaning no longer needing new security upgrades or more features… that does not mean it’s no longer being actively developed, look at Fluxbox, for example, it’s latest official version is years old, but it’s still under development…).

@skidoo: thanks, I’ll be testing your scripts and later, I’ll write some feedback!

P.

No problem on any count… I’m now enjoying retirement.

Re. Rox as a file manager or roxterm. The only development or maintenance of any kind that has taken place over the past 4 years has been antix package maintenance. so if the development team chooses to support it, enjoy!

Brian Masinick

XecureXecure

Thanks for that- it makes the “basic” one line script universal across all antiX versions, but my original script had small “eye candy” stuff, like a more centered window (mine kept popping on wierd random positions (I believe related to the position of the last open window), without a menu and with particular window and font sizes – all mixed together to make the “updater” window look less like a “normal” terminal window (a bit silly, I know)…

P.

Sorry if it came out strange. I had no intention of offending anyone, but sometimes things I write don’t come out as I want them to. As you say, for customizing the terminal look, your script works very well. A pitty there is no “standard” for configurating all terminals (except -T for title, and so on).
    Unfortunetly, –hide-menubar and setting fonts doesn’t work with lxterminal. 🙁 I cannot overcome that. But –geometry=90×20 does.

Just recently, while testing Dave’s app-select.py I discovered that using the x-terminal-emulator would call for the terminal program set as default by x-terminal-emulator. I thought it was a very smart way of making it terminal agnostic, and I ported my scripts to use it. I would really like to know if there is a better way, as if x-terminal-emulator is not installed, the scripts won’t work.

By the way. I beliebe changing the prefered terminal with “Prefered Applications” will not change the terminal used by x-terminal-emulator. To change it, you must set it in the command line:
    sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator
    And then choose the default one you want to use.

hi!
    How could I forget to include skippy-xd task switcher, MacOS like (I use the MX linux 64bits .deb file from http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/s/skippy-xd/)
    It’s probably the only piece of real eye candy I have installed (Skiddo task switcher script reminded me of this cool little app- once installed it takes up about 200kb and runs and looks great)

P.

EDIT: This one can be handy for users with very low RAM: my one line script to use YAD to adjust the volume :

yad --scale --max-value 100 --value $(amixer -M get Master | awk -v FS="[[%]" '/%/ {print $2}') --print-partial --undecorated --width 300 --fixed --sticky --mouse --on-top --escape-ok --no-buttons --close-on-unfocus --hide-value | while read VolNew; do amixer -M -q set Master ${VolNew}%; done

I didn’t create this script, it was adapted from one in PUPPY Linux forum. I use it like this: in my netbook, I use min-JWM that removes the volume applet from the tray, saving 2 Mb of iddle RAM. To manually adjust the volume I created a tray file entry, with a fixed icon, right before the clock line:

<TrayButton label="" icon="/usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22x22/actions/stock_volume.png" popup="Volume">exec:vol=$(amixer get Master | grep "\[on\]") && vol=( $vol )&& VolCur=$(amixer -M get Master | awk -v FS="[[%]" '/%/ {print $2}') && yad --scale --max-value 100 --value $VolCur --print-partial --undecorated --width 300 --fixed --sticky --mouse --on-top --escape-ok --no-buttons --close-on-unfocus --hide-value | while read VolNew; do amixer -M -q set Master ${VolNew}%; done</TrayButton>

This works in JWM, but I’m unable to make this one line script run in the IceWM tray configuration file, IceWM just runs the first part of the script…

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
    wildstar84wildstar84

Why not just use synaptic for graphical updater?

Which is the IceWM Tray configuration file?

I know about the toolbar file, but not how to put anything on the tray over to the right…

masinickmasinick

Which is the IceWM Tray configuration file?

I know about the toolbar file, but not how to put anything on the tray over to the right…

<TrayButton

Starts the correct form if I am reading it correctly. That’s the second one.

Brian Masinick

Huh, all that instead of
    sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade
    I think I’ll stick to the commandline.

But, if it works for you, that’s OK too.

I agree. I update using the command line.

One thing I hate with the MX updater is that sometimes it just fails and it quits without actually updating anything. I then open the terminal and proceed to use commands to accomplish what the script failed to do.

I also don’t think I need to update all the time. Having that little green icon telling me an update is available is hard to ignore. I feel compelled to update! Then something goes whacky and I end up not getting the work done that I intended because I’m now “upgrading”! No thanks, I’ll update when I need to, on the command line.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by seaken64.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by seaken64.
    masinickmasinick

Interesting.

One other thing to consider:

Instead of upgrading the system or packages, how about listing the proposed changes to the system.

If there are any questions or concerns, then examine the difference between the previous code and the software change.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.