Things to do after installing antiX 19 (beta2)

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Things to do after installing antiX 19 (beta2)

This topic contains 37 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by BobC Aug 11-11:37 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    BobC

I finished implementing 19 yesterday, and got it burned to a flash drive, and implemented and tested with no problems on a 2nd machine.

My only nagging issues at this point are with the double height menu disappearing before I can click, and getting a root partition space monitor working so I have everything I really need from the conky in my status bar.

My todo list will be fairly short when the time comes to finalize everything. I am running live in the beta at this point.

PPC

Which is the IceWM Tray configuration file?

I know about the toolbar file, but not how to put anything on the tray over to the right…

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this question, Bob:
    Putting icons on the right part of the toolbar, as far as I know can only be done in JWM, not IceWM… in that regard, JWM is more configurable (for example- if you run antiX 19b2 JWM desktop, you get a “exit” button to the right of the clock, just like the one in MX-Linux … but I found no way to do the same in IceWM… 🙁 )

P.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by PPC.
    BobC

I have found some ways to do that with IceWM, but the problem is that each of them are costing at least 15 mb (up to 26 mb) of memory per icon.

Unbelievable the waste…

skidoo

BobC, are you are wrestling with a “solved problem”?
    in antix19b2:

$ icewm -V
    IceWM 1.5.5+git20190610, Copyright 1997-2003 Marko Macek, 2001 Mathias Hasselmann

apropos icewm
    ^——- icewm-toolbar, icewmtray, and several others exist as freestanding manpages

IceWM v1.5.5 (June 7, 2019) ref: https://packages.debian.org/sid/icewm

This release contains many bugfixes and many portability fixes compared with previous version of IceWM 1.4.2.

The order of buttons and icons on taskbar, tray bar and system tray is now fully configurable.

A new quickswitch, hotkeys, focus behavior FocusCurrentWorkspace and theme option TaskbuttonIconOffset which is used in theme Outside-ice.

Quickswitch can be either horizontal or vertical.

Now, you can change focus model without restart, can change preferences via menus. Also, improved locating and loading of icons.

Extended window list menus and monitoring applet options.

We can easily change focus or work spaces by mouse wheel.

The monitoring applets has been revamped and it’s consuming very less processor time to gather information’s.

The improved system tray supports more applications compared with old release.

Mailbox monitoring was overhauled and now supports TLS/SSL connections to POP and IMAP servers, Gmail and Maildirs.

Support for 32-bit visuals and compositing managers was added.

The order of buttons and icons on taskbar, tray bar and system tray is now fully configurable.

Many new manual pages have been written and documentation is fully updated.

The address bar now has a re callable history of previous commands.

BobC

Wow, I didn’t realize it was different. Yes, definitely I need to look at that.

Thanks much.
    BobC

BobC

Skidoo,

I see that applications can run and automatically be minimized to the tray.

So, if I had a script, and it was hooked to a desktop, and the desktop had an icon, and that icon was really a link to an icon file, then if I was to change the link to point to a different icon file, then it would display the other icon instead.

Now, if only I could get it to change the icon on the screen after I change the icon picture its linked to…

I tested the theory using the wallpaper icon, and even literally overlaying the icon file wouldn’t make it change. I could have 100 small icons for 1% to 100% in a folder and have the script replace the icon or change the link anytime the percentage full changed if I could get it to refresh what I see on the screen afterwards.

skidoo

” if I could get it to refresh ”

? set the script to periodically kill & restart itself
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/130829/how-to-self-terminate-a-bash-script-after-timeout

BobC

Although difficult, and maybe insurmountable for me, I think the best answer is to take the battery status monitor in IceWM and clone it into a drive space monitor if I really need a visible reminder. All the other options I found require a lot of memory, and it should just be built in.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.