Things to do after installing antiX 19 (beta2)

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Things to do after installing antiX 19 (beta2)

• This topic has 76 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Nov 20-8:19 am by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Sorry for that Bob I’m quite attached to my old netbooks- as much as I can be to a machine- because I use it with my little girl and have very good memories associated to it. Other than that, yes… hardware only last so long- modern computers aren’t build to last 10 or more years…
    I hope you have a spare pc you can use!

P.

masinickmasinick

I have been having pretty good success using the Brave Web browser. It is challenging to get installed on some systems but the performance is solid.

I also generally install all 3 variations of the Firefox Web browser: the current release, the Beta release and the Nightly Build, in addition to the ESR build. That way if I encounter any issues I can report them and usually determine which daily build introduced an issue. I don’t have a very intense workload any more so I rarely have issues.

Brian Masinick

I have about 8 or 10 PC’s left that run, but only one Pentium II that only has 256 mb, and one Pentium IV that runs XP to control a robot in the basement, so I don’t have any 32 bit machines that can run antiX 19 386 with X-Windows. It’s not the end of the world, but the advantage of testing on older, slower, lower memory machines is that it was easy to spot anything that was resource intensive, and to tell when the code was improved to being efficient or not.

It’s probably the power supply on the P-III. Many P-III’s use the same power supply as P-II or P-4 class machines. It should be pretty inexpensive to swap in a new PS. Or pick up an old P4 on auction site or garage sale.

I do the same as you and run 32-bit antiX on P-III and P-4 machines. If you are near the Hudson Valley New York you can stop by and pick one up for free. I have a few P-III and P-4 just sitting around unused. Some dead on the MB but with good Power Supplies. Most of them are fully functional. I almost threw them away a couple of years ago but haven’t tossed them yet.

Seaken64

Working on replication soon. Slim is using 40 mb of memory, so I still need to reduce that before I make my snapshot to replicate out to my other machines. This time I will be putting all my program changes in $HOME/bin, so that will reduce the maintenance effort in future.

My no frills dieting tricks for Slim didn’t do so well today. I took if from 40 mb down to 35 mb, better than nothing, but not good. I will stop, make my ISO snapshot, burn my Super flashdrive, and load it onto a test machine, to avoid making a big brick out of my main machine, LOL.

masinickmasinick

BobC, I think that you did very well with your effort.

First, you did reduce the memory consumption by removing non essential components and you learned a lot as you performed the tasks and you effectively communicated with us, which is definitely helpful.

Nice work!

Brian Masinick

Slim didn’t do so well today. I took if from 40 mb down to 35 mb…

whaddaheck ?

on a 64bit antiX 19 system I just checked:

slim -v ---} 1.3.6 (preinstalled stock version)
    Uptime: 3d 16h 38m
    ps_mem.py ---} 4.3 MiB + 1.2 MiB =  5.5 MiB	slim

on a 64bit antiX 17 system I just checked:

slim -v ---} 1.3.8 (custom build)
    Uptime: 56d 1h 47m
    ps_mem.py ---} 18.9 MiB + 165.0 KiB =  19.0 MiB	slim

shared memory as reported by htop:
    ... 19324 ... /usr/bin/slim -d
    ... 39772 ... /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/slim.auth vt07

edit:

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by skidoo.

Ok, I found that some guy named skidoo posted a custom version slim_1.4.5_amd64.deb about 6 months ago on github, so I tried that, and that bought me another 5 mb. So then I put that version on my 1 byte at a time diet and got it down to 27 mb.
    26.4 MiB + 1.3 MiB = 27.6 MiB slim

Much better than 40 or 35. I guess that’s the best I’m going to do.

But then again, there I go installing unofficial code, LOL (just kidding).

Thanks skidoo!

So that leaves me wondering why that isn’t the stock antiX version? It has my vote at the moment. And yes, I noticed the 1.3.6 on my synaptic screen. I wish I could actually help, but at least I noticed it. Thanks again…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by BobC.

As for resurrecting my old friend the Pentium III, I dunno. I really shouldn’t be putting any more money into it.

I found a PCI-X Adaptec Raid Array that does 300 mb/s with SATA drives and have a 32 gb SSD (one of my homemade flashdrives) I could put into it to kick it up another notch, but maybe its time to let it rest after over 20 years of faithful service. I may have just overheated the CPU’s. I noticed they were both at a solid 100% for a while before it rebooted and died.

I powered it up again tonight and it came up, so it might have been a heat issue, but we all know that trying to run things like Firefox are going to push it to those limits again. I bet it would still run the DOS and Win/95/98 games like it did, just fine.

Hey, I wasn’t pimping the “custom version”, was just emphasizing that I checked multiple versions and that I stood in disbelief that, on your system, SLiM is truly using the amount of RAM stated in your post(s). Lookup the definition of RSS (Resident Set Size) & understand that it’s nearly impossible (and is inaccurate//unfair) to “blame” any one process for the (“VM-Size“) RAM occupied by the shared libraries it utilizes.

FWIW, a couple details of the custom version possibly probably make it unappealing for wider adoption. First, it is hardcoded to disallow “User: root” desktop session login (Some folks would argue that this represents “removal of freedom of choice”, i.e. an anti-feature.) Also, by design, it also omits the “timed screen locker” funtionality added (unavailable when PAM authentication is in effect, though) in recent upstream versions. Sez me: SLiM ~~ “Simple Login Manager”. If ya want a lockscreen, install xscreensaver… or howabout systemdlockmyscreen4me

I always go by ps_mem.py.

Ok, I will go read up on RSS in the morning or lunch.

I admit to being confused. It sounds like I’ve been judging based on a wrong number all this time.

Thanks for pointing it out…

XecureXecure

and here’s another amenity script, “window switcher” (for any wm environemnt) suitable for Alt+Tab global keybind:

https://gitlab.com/skidoo/odds-n-ends/blob/master/winswitch-misko.sh

@skidoo – unfortunatly, on antiX 19b2 live, winswitch-misko.sh returned the error: “ERROR: 13 Dependency ‘/usr/bin/convert’ not met.”

I know it is no longer relevant to the conversation, but because I “had a fight” with skippy-xd, I tried out skidoo’s window switcher. The “convert” dependency is related to imagemagick. A ‘sudo apt install imagemagick’ fixes the “convert” dependency error.

Thanks to both PPC and skidoo for their contributions and recommendations.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xecure.
    masinickmasinick

Ok, I found that some guy named skidoo posted a custom version slim_1.4.5_amd64.deb about 6 months ago on github, so I tried that, and that bought me another 5 mb. So then I put that version on my 1 byte at a time diet and got it down to 27 mb.
    26.4 MiB + 1.3 MiB = 27.6 MiB slim

Much better than 40 or 35. I guess that’s the best I’m going to do.

But then again, there I go installing unofficial code, LOL (just kidding).

Thanks skidoo!

So that leaves me wondering why that isn’t the stock antiX version? It has my vote at the moment. And yes, I noticed the 1.3.6 on my synaptic screen. I wish I could actually help, but at least I noticed it. Thanks again…

FWIW, I also find much lower memory usage numbers, even using LightDM instead of slim:

Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program
      2.2 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   3.3 MiB	lightdm (2)

Brian Masinick

Brian, I tried installing LightDM on a test x64 machine running the stock slim, and I get the login screen, but after that, just a black screen. I did it again and changed it from default-session to icewm-session, but the results were still a black screen. I was able to ctrl-alt-backspace to get another login screen, but didn’t find a way out so I finally killed the power.

Any ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.