To EDID or not to EDID, a Nouveau question.

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions To EDID or not to EDID, a Nouveau question.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by LostRider Dec 5-9:34 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    caprea
    caprea

Anyway, as long as everything runs smoothly now, does it ?
    Well, I think the blacklisting worked. It is not always necessary to update-intrams, in any case the sudo was missing in command.
    Do you like to share a
    inxi -G
    WOW, I love the bios-date 08/25/98 !

LostRider
    $ inxi -G
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA NV34 [GeForce FX 5200 Ultra] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
      Display: server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
      resolution: 1024x768~85Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV34 v: 1.5 Mesa 13.0.6 
    xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
    VGA-1 connected primary 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 310mm x 230mm
       1024x768      85.00*+  75.03  
       1280x1024     60.02  
       800x600       85.06    75.00  
       640x480       85.01    75.00    59.94  
       720x400       70.08  
    DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    TV-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    • This reply was modified 1 week ago by rokytnji.

LostRider

Thank YOU!! I was watching youtube in glorious 144p last night before I went to bed. Don’t know why flashplayer was crashing firefox earlier, would chromium and pepperflashplayer do the same you think? I’d also like to play DVD’s, something I’ve not getten a Linux Distro to do yet without having to pay for it. I have a copy of PowerDVD, a old one. When I “Upgraded” my Windows7 to 10, I knew I had that as a backup, not knowing that I’d have to run windows 98 in a emulator to watch DVD’s, which my newer system dosen’t have the horsepower to do. Wondering if WINE couldn’t do it…hmm I know it’ll work if I do a Dual Boot with Windows ME (LOL) which I have the disk and codes for, but really I’d rather not! It would be a fun retro gaming PC though…

caprea
    caprea

Most videos on the web nowadays use HTML5 and not flash, especially youtube.
    For DVD you have to install the unfree codecs. They are in the control-centre under drivers(free of charge)I’m not sure if the nvidiacard with the nouveau is capable of playing them nicely though, but give it a try.
    One more question just comes to my mind, you said you installed with a cd, so did you install the the base version ? Here’s a list of what you maybe miss then sooner or later.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/difference-between-full-version-and-base-version-of-antix-17/
    But now you can post-install what you need from this list (don’t know if libavcodec-extra is needed for dvd).

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Retro gaming ? On my P3 . I use the dosbox emulator in antiX games menu and make a folder in /home/harry called

harry@biker:~
    $ cd Games
    harry@biker:~/Games$ ls
    Master_of_Orion2

instructions are in terminal
    man dosbox

Flash plugin , Chrome browser. Forget aboiut it on a P2. Pale Moon non sse2 is my Favorite browser on my low spec single atom and P3 gear.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by rokytnji.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do. Master of none.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

LostRider

rokytnji- I have discovered the sse2 “Problem” @ Chromium already, and yeah Pale Moon runs pretty good, though Firefox has a better framerate playing videos. both run about the same memory usage, so its going to be a question of taste I suppose. As far as Facebook, or online shopping, the PC fits the bill fine, if a bit slower than it was running Wary Puppy. Though I have to give Kudos to the development team for the easy to use Wi-Fi interface. This PC was basically frankenstiened from 3 PC’s which is how I ended up with “So much” RAM and odd components. I really miss the P2’s cartage motherboards, they make CPU swaps super easy. In this machine I had a 333 Celeron and a ATI 4mb card, both which went to storage. Though I don’t know enough about the video driver to understand what if any benefit having a decent card has on video quality…suppose I could test it.

LostRider

caprea I installed the Middle sized version, AKA the Base Distro, and sadly I missed the 17.2.1 release, having downloaded the 17.2 instead. Guess I need to do a sudo apt-get distro upgrade, huh? Thanks for the link, I thought that mostly I was missing the Word Processor, suppose there is a bit more to do 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.