To modernize antiX or …

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics To modernize antiX or …

This topic contains 68 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Jun 19-2:17 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

… to ‘modernize’ antiX, the question is now? To paraphrase …

New icon set alone will not do the trick.

😉

fatmac
    fatmac

??????

Modernise what?

Change a background?

Change a colour scheme?

I generally use a plain black background anyway.

The ‘scheme’ for 19-b1 seems pretty clean & modern to me. 😉

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Anonymous

Yep! I’m aware that it’s not all that easy to understand.

New icon theme and a wallpaper is ‘still the same’.

‘To modernize’ is, to give it a NEW look. 😉

The ‘scheme’ for 19-b1 seems pretty clean & modern to me.

Yup. Just like 17.x.x or just like in ‘1997’. That’s how old the IceWM is and that theme too, isn’t it? 😉

I generally don’t give a s**t for the wallpaper, icons or ‘designs’, ’cause I’m working and never have empty black background to admire it.

But — I see the difference between ‘the same’ and ‘modernized’ and I expect everybody else too, to be able to see that difference.

P.S.
    Speaking about new icons … 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

dgh
    dgh

Even though I usually end up customizing stuff, I still find the default 199x style to be comforting.. like playing a Megaman game or typing something in WordPerfect.

Anonymous

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind it ‘old fashioned’.
    ‘Old fashioned’ has usually better usability.
    As I already showed in ‘Screenshots’.

The sole problem is completely another one:

1. Talking about ‘More up to date look’ (== modernizing) but, not doing it
    2. People who can’t see, discussing on what they couldn’t even see

😉

fatmac
    fatmac

Yep! I’m aware that it’s not all that easy to understand………
    P.S. Speaking about new icons …

OK, I see what you are meaning now – a little bit of a spruce up to the looks. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Anonymous

Well — once again — it’s ‘all’, not sum of parts and …
    The first impression counts.

Just like when a boy meets girl or the other way round.
    You win or you loose in a matter of seconds.

DOT. POINT. The End.
    Next story …

BobC

Noclue, don’t get mad at me, but… I actually LIKE the new 19 wallpaper 🙂 I think it looks great. Really… I think its modern and pleasing to look at, or maybe is old and was ahead of it’s time, and that would be ok, too. My eyes don’t like a yellow screen background, and therefore the window colors that would work well with that yellow are probably not for me, either.

I’m not sure on what icons. I want to have icons that I recognize even when I’m real tired, so I don’t make mistakes clicking the wrong one. And I want to have the icons I need to use the most, quick/easy to find, like on the toolbar if I need to use it a lot.

Yes, those are all personal preferences. I have to sit all day working Microslut screens, and want the icons, mouse and keys to work like *I* would expect or want them to work, so the machine works for me, not me working for it, like I suffer with all day.

Anonymous

Noclue, don’t get mad at me, but… I actually LIKE the new 19 wallpaper …

Oh, Je… I’m NOT a dragon! 😉 Mad? I’m never mad at anybody, not even at the people who were shooting at me … they’ll just hardly get my friends now but, we can still have a chat and a cup of coffee together.

I also like the current wallpaper but, that’s not the point.

The point is, that different single parts must fit together, if one Distro should look ‘up to date’ and — they don’t.

We currently have ‘modernized’ icons (== flat; chaos apart) which fit the wallpaper and the windows frames, and the login screen … as ‘a fist on the eye’ (== not at all).

It simply looks like s**t AS A COMBINATION (+, we’re back on 17.2 point — one good part of the icons has to be fixed again).

If you wanna modernize, then modernize; if you wanna have usable system, don’t modernize but, make it usable.

ClassicIce, #18282

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-screenys-general/page/9/#post-18282

What I showed above wasn’t yellow, or I posted some wrong screenshots? 😉

What I posted above is how the MODERNIZED and still usable Distro should look like in 2019, not more, not less.

Yellow is not a problem but, the style, the concept. Color is easy to change but, people left behind in time, that’s whole another thing. 😉

You see on MX what comes out when nobody understands anything of UI/UX nor design — and actually, it could easily be one of a handful of best Distros around.

skidoo

noCLue, I would choose the themes//wallpaper you’ve presented here instead of the slated antiX19 default.

Do you have a github or gitlab account?
    Maybe you will fork the desktop-defaults-antix-* projects, add your theme(s) and submit a pull request to anticapitalista. Even if not set as the default choices,
    those themes could become available, pre-installed.

For the SLiM login screen, IMO it is sort of important to stick with “Login” English textlabel. It is the “desktop session logn screen” and SLiM is the “login manager” (aka “display manager”). The wallpaper (dark bg, intentionally blurred) you’ve presented here is well-suited to “stretch to fit” placement. Bear in mind though: we really cannot assure the panel (username//pw overlay) will remain centered… and, in order to accommodate users with low-res displays, the panel x/y offsets from top-left must keep it in bounds (ask anticapitalista, does antiX still support 800×600 displays?). PRESS F1 TO CHOOSE DESKTOP SESSION — it is what it is, for usability sake (under SLiM) that text must be remain present.

For the menu button in iceWM panel, I applaud the prospect of using a narrower (square?) button. Consider setting aside your fixation with “consistency” here, though ~~ considering the curves, a “solid, filled-in” version of that blue cloverleaf(?) icon would be less prone to suffering “jaggies” when rendered at (who can guess?) various user-chosen toolbar heights.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Maybe you will fork the desktop-defaults-antix-* projects, add your theme(s) and submit a pull request to anticapitalista. Even if not set as the default choices, those themes could become available, pre-installed.

I’m ok with this.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

fatmac
    fatmac

I do agree first impressions count for a lot, but if I didn’t know antiX, on the looks of 19, I’d certainly give it a shot – but I would likely have passed by on the looks of 17, & I remember, I think it was 13, a glaring piece of a cut lemon, (or was it lime), on a white background, somewhat ‘in yer face’. 🙂

As for MX, the present theme is good, some of the previous ones, I didn’t personally like, but I knew the distro was good, & happily recommended it, if antiX wasn’t the right fit for those looking for a Linux distro starting out. 😉

But, I would still use a plain black background out of choice, I started out with DOS & kind of am used to the look. 😀

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

My default desktop

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Koo
    Koo

anticapitalista is that herbstluft Nice

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

anticapitalista is that herbstluft Nice

yes it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.