To modernize antiX or …

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics To modernize antiX or …

This topic contains 68 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Jun 19-2:17 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    manyroads
    manyroads

@anticapitalista @noClue should love the minimalist approach and look of your desktop. All the colors are nice and flat. Nothing old school at all about your desktop. Ultra modern, in fact.

Personally, I love all the different approaches. As my dad always says, “variety is the spice of life”. 😉

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Anonymous

@ skidoo

Imagine I offer you a 100’000 $.

You say: “Maybe you’d rather go to the bank, make an account and put money on it.
    Later you could arrange durable power of attorney and I could pick it up later.”

🙂 🙂 🙂

Why not but, I’d probably say: “Take it or leave it”.

😉

This is what you get:

A decent logo
    A decent wallpaper
    A decent IceWM theme
    A decent Fluxbox theme
    A decent Slim wallpaper & theme

All matching together pretty well — not perfect though but, well enough to put you on par with a handful of best ‘brands’, in a small Linux world (maybe even beyond).

Of course, this is only the modernizing part of it.

One still has to fix the current icon theme, to clean up the start menu so one gets max. 3 ~ 10 choices per sub menu, de-junking it of 4 WM’s, 3 applications per task, which all do the same but, non as the one proper one would do, cleaning it from ‘freaky’ stuff like live-what-not to make it ‘lean and mean’, for the ‘human beings’ — because, lean and mean is not just about the boot time or the RAM in use but, it’s about the whole system together.

We can discuss the taste but, we can’t discuss the style.

See posts #23091 and #23097 here:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-screenys-general/page/12/#post-23091

Logo ‘X’ and logo ‘aX’.

manyroads
    manyroads

If I may be so bold as to suggest… opinions about look & feel are ‘nice’. Most certainly, we all like certain things and dislike others. Because of this thread I did a bit of research and will share a few recently published lists of ‘beautiful (pretty, elegant, stylish) Linux distros’…

12 Most Beautiful Linux Distros To Use In 2019

Top 5 Best Looking Linux Distro We Recommend You To Use

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/12/10/meet-the-linux-desktop-that-blows-away-windows-10-and-macos/#43f8769b5000

10 Top Most Beautiful Linux Distros or Operating systems

deepin, the prettiest Linux distribution, switches to Debian stable in 15.9.2 beta

Now (keeping in mind the ‘beautiful’ distros listed in the above articles), let’s look at another measure of distro popularity (Distrowatch):
    — MXLinux (is #1 with 4599 hits per day over the last 6 months) and
    — antiX (is at #12 with 676 hits per day over that same time period).

It is worth noting that none of the distros listed in the above articles are as popular as MXLinux; nor are many significantly more popular than antiX (also not on the ‘beautiful’ lists). What are we left to think? Perhaps, beauty (stylishness, modern look & feel) is neither the only, nor perhaps even a major driver of Linux distro popularity. I suggest there are many items equal to, or more important than, beauty that drive a distros usefulness & popularity.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Maybe you will fork the desktop-defaults-antix-* projects, add your theme(s) and submit a pull request to anticapitalista. Even if not set as the default choices, those themes could become available, pre-installed.

I’m ok with this.

still waiting …

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

seaken64

cleaning it from ‘freaky’ stuff like live-what-not to make it ‘lean and mean’, for the ‘human beings’ — because, lean and mean is not just about the boot time or the RAM in use but, it’s about the whole system together.

I don’t know what you mean. But I do think it is an opinion. Lean and mean is about boot time, RAM, and lack of unnecessary bloat. Useful even if not pretty.

We can discuss the taste but, we can’t discuss the style.

I so disagree with that. Style is not an agreed upon precept. To each there own is more appropriate. You have your opinion. I do not share it. But I do not want to be told I cannot discuss where I differ.

Seaken64

Anonymous

@ anticapitalista

You can continue waiting on me forking it on Git and you’ll not live long enough to see it. 😉

But, over the mail … as usual … soon enough. 😉

@ seaken64

Useful even if not pretty.

It could easily be both — that’s the catch. With NO extra work. 😉

About ‘discussions’ — I can’t discuss with Hawking and Einstein about a universe nor I can discuss with anticapitalista on scripting.

Sometimes is maybe better not to try to discuss on some topics … hope you understand what I wanted to say.

@ manyroads

… another measure of distro popularity (Distrowatch) …

Maybe antiX would even become Nr. 5 or 3 or 1 if I would give it that missing ‘finishing touch‘?

You never know. 😉

Let me show you WHAT is writing on Distrowatch:

„… it’s 2019 and no way in hell you’ll ever see a PC booting in 5 seconds.
    Unless you’re cheating when measuring, even BIOS/UEFI initialization …“

„I just power cycled [switched off then on, as opposed reboot] a BIOS-based laptop and couldn’t measure how long it took to display the GRUB menu [sub-second]. Maybe you are talking about UEFI, which I don’t use. Or maybe this pre-GRUB delay is highly hardware dependent. … Sorry, I spoke too soon: an AMD desktop took 5 seconds to get to GRUB.“

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190610

Posts 60, 62, 64, 66 and 68 on that matter … this time …

😉

However …

Distrowatch is just a measure of clicks … including ‘try and abandon’.

Also remember, Distrowatch is site for freaks.

Most Linux users never went to visit it or don’t even know it’s existing.

Distrowatch is a place for ‘noobs’ which know that they don’t want systemd but, don’t even know what it is.

It’s something only relevant for system administrators — normal users don’t loose or don’t gain anything.

Distrowatch is …

fatmac
    fatmac

I’m beginning to think ‘no clue’ – as in the name…. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Anonymous

Don’t believe everything you think.

😉

seaken64

@ seaken64

Useful even if not pretty.

It could easily be both — that’s the cactch. With NO extra work.

About ‘discussions’ — I can’t discuss with Hawking and Einstein about a universe nor I can discuss with anticapitalista on scripting.

Sometimes is maybe better not to try to discuss on some topics … hope you understand what I wanted to say.

I think there is work involved. Since style is a matter of opinion it won’t be well received by everyone if the devs decide on the style and say take it or leave it. I am all for a nice look as long as it doesn’t bog down the system or make it impossible to fit on a DVD, etc. I would rather sacrifice style for function. But if the devs can give us the tools to “add” the style we personally prefer than that is good. I maintain that antiX is not targeted at newbies and users who mostly care about style. But if a user has the power in their machine to add lots of fluff than go for it! But leave the base system to be lean and mean.

Maybe we can have a selection of choices at install time? Select your wallpaper from the following, select your icon set from these, etc. Or select your “theme” now while we install. You can change it later if you find your initial selection is not suitable. I don’t know. I think we have that already. But I’m not afraid of “plain” or “text” or any other newbie scarey ideas. If someone is so afraid that their OS is not pretty than I think they are not well suited to Linux in general. Maybe MacOS would be better for them.

On “discussion”, maybe I understand. It may be a language thing. Maybe you were saying such a discussion is beyond you or you are unworthy of the topic and not being dogmatic.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by seaken64.
    dgh
    dgh

reeeeeeee

seaken64

NoClue, in my experience, the effort to attract users with eye-candy leads to software that is sluggish and requires more powerful machines. There is nothing inherently wrong with eye-candy and more power. But it is not necessary. One of the things I appreciate about antiX, and Debian, and Linux in general, is that I can choose to avoid the eye-candy in favor of thrift. I can keep a less powerful machine useful because it is not churning on the inside to present me with unnecessary prettiness. The computer is my tool and doing it’s job, even if it doesn’t have modern style.

Now, if I want and need all that eye-candy I choose to buy a more modern machine with plenty of power and I declare up front that I am willing to sacrifice my time and efficiency for pretty pictures. There are lot of Linux distros that will cater to me and my desire for that fluff. But how many distros are there that cater to an old machine?

I am not against style. But I don’t want to change antiX into a distro that caters to it. I want antiX to continue to cater to old machines.

Seaken64

seaken64

@ seaken64

OK, maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Maybe you were saying a discussion on style is out of your comfort zone or that you are somehow unworthy of the topic. But you sure have a lot to say about it!

My take on your opinions on the style of antiX is that you think it is not modern enough to attract new users. That may be. But should the goal of antiX to be to attract more users who are interested only in it’s style?

Seaken64

Anonymous

… maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Without that maybe.

… in my experience, the effort to attract users with eye-candy leads to software that is sluggish and requires more powerful machines.

That is very often truth but, NOT in this case!

In this case you get it quick and less modern or same as quick but, more modern and better looking — win-win.

… that you think it is not modern enough …

NOT „I think“ but, „It IS NOT“ modern!

anti mentioned „up-to-dating“, I showed why it‘ll not work and how it might work.

I don‘t know everything but, I know what I know (and I know/am aware of what I don‘t know too!) and I‘m good in what I know (== my job).

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

This is what you get:

A decent logo
    A decent wallpaper
    A decent IceWM theme
    A decent Fluxbox theme

All matching together pretty well — not perfect though but, well enough to put you on par with a handful of best ‘brands’, in a small Linux world (maybe even beyond).

I haven’t been following this in detail but I think this is a great idea and should be a very useful addition. I hope you don’t get discouraged by the naysayers. It is a relief that someone is concentrating on this. I know it takes a lot of work on your part but IIUC the end result is we improve the look (and even some functionality) without adding bloat. This fits in perfectly with the antiX “Lean and Mean” philosophy. Instead of adding new software, let’s make the best use of the software we already have. I hope to see this in the next beta release.

Another area of possible improvement is the default conky configuration but this may not be in your wheelhouse.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

masinick
    masinick

+1 to this!

I agree, and this effort is definitely worthwhile.

This is what you get:

A decent logo
    A decent wallpaper
    A decent IceWM theme
    A decent Fluxbox theme

I haven’t been following this in detail but I think this is a great idea and should be a very useful addition. I hope you don’t get discouraged by the naysayers. It is a relief that someone is concentrating on this. I know it takes a lot of work on your part but IIUC the end result is we improve the look (and even some functionality) without adding bloat. This fits in perfectly with the antiX “Lean and Mean” philosophy. Instead of adding new software, let’s make the best use of the software we already have. I hope to see this in the next beta release.

Another area of possible improvement is the default conky configuration but this may not be in your wheelhouse.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.