Too many desktop choices listed in the “other desktops” menu

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos, Grup Yorum” Too many desktop choices listed in the “other desktops” menu

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Aug 8-6:31 pm by AlexS.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    smitty1954

Instead of twelve choices listed there are twenty-two including herbsluftwm. They are the usual choices but vary by case sensitivity. One choice was not suported and rendered my mouse and keyboard inoperable. This system is a fresh install of Antix 19.4 full on a 32GB flash drive through AppImage using LinuxMint. The desktops were produced when I upgraded the system with Synaptic Package Manager. In August 2019 I had a similar issue in 17.4.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

sudo apt install --reinstall desktop-session-antix

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

smitty1954
    Helpful
    Up

That resolved the issue.

Renegade Apprentice
    Helpful
    Up

So glad to find this thread…. Thx

seriousness
    Helpful
    Up

Since this appears every once a while, I would like to suggest to make this thread sticky.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Can someone test this package before I send the fixes to anticapitalista?
    (See attached).

Download and decompress. I recommend installing with the terminal with
    sudo apt install
    leave a space after “install” and drag and drop the .deb file to the terminal. Then run the command and that should replace the current version.

Installing any window manager should prove it it works properly.
    sudo apt install openbox
    for example, should add Openbox to the “Other Desktops” options. The menus should not be as long and populated as the previous script created.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Downloaded and installed the enhanced desktop-session-antix. Works perfectly here. Many thanks.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks, caprea. I will make a few more changes and send it to anticapitalista.

AlexS
    Helpful
    Up

I have a similar problem. I wanted to watch the other desktops and also chose “herbstluft”. Now the screen is full with text beginning with “read the instruction” and ending with “enjoy”.
    I do not understand all these instructions on the screen at all. And I do not know how to operate anything. Where can I enter any operation?

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

EDIT: herbstluftwm is a tiling window manager. You operate it entirely with the keyboard. The file with configuration instructions tells you what are the key combinations to achieve all different operations in herbstluft. Log out from there using the corresponding command and return to a desktop session you are more accustomed.

Study a bit on herbstluft before you launch it next time. Tiling window managers require a bit of studying before using them.

Old reply:
    0. Download the package linked above.
    1. Open the compressed container and move the package to any folder you want.
    2. Open the .deb file with the file manager. If Gdebi is an option, see if you can install it with Gdebi (if not, use the terminal as described above).
    3. After installing the package, run this command in terminal to update the list of available desktops:
    sudo /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-update-wm-menus -f

If it works for you, then I will have a bit more feedback before sending the fixes to the devs.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Xecure.

AlexS
    Helpful
    Up

I do not find any possibility to enter any action to the system. I also do not understand all the instructions in the white screen offered by herbstluft. I do not even understand where I could enter the instructions. I do not even know how to shutdown the system in that screen. Can I return to the default screen in any way?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Windows Key+Shift+q will take you back to the login screen.
    Then use F1 to choose any option other than herbstluftwm

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

AlexS
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, this worked. Thank you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.