Too much sticky posts

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Too much sticky posts

• This topic has 37 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Jul 19-3:52 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Lead Farmer

I was debating if to post this, but there are too many stickys, it takes half size of the screen.
      There should be 2 or 3 sticky. One of them should be “New to Linux” with all the needed guides, how to install apps, upgrade, wifi…

blur13

I agree with this. Maybe a new category could be created under “New Users” titled “FAQ” or similar, where all these sticky posts could be moved to. Or maybe a “help” section of the antix website with links to these posts.

For regular users of the forum its just a mindnumbing half page scroll every time you want to check recent posts. In modern browsers they are at least color coded so its easy to scroll past, but in Links2 thats not the case.

And the forum still gets help requests that are covered by the sticky posts. So those that need the info dont read them anyways.

Brian Masinick

I unstuck several entries; a few of the remaining ones are recently updated.

I’m not opposed to the suggestion.

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Members of the community, please join in and state your preference and suggestions; we’ve had a few; let’s get more suggestions and dialogue and then adjust as necessary. I’ve reduced the number of sticky threads but I’ll keep the rest until a plan is in place.

--
            Brian Masinick

stevesr0

A section for user guides (faqs, as suggested by blur13 or another name) would be good in my opinion. The current sticky posts don’t have a clear definition/title that explains why they are there and are not coordinated as a package.

This raises the question of who should coordinate them to make sure that they have a clear logic. That might be a significant amount of work.

stevesr0

P.S. I would argue that there should be a “sticky” or faq on keeping antiX systemd free. That was one that was removed. I am biased because I posted it<g>.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.
              Forum Admin
              Dave

I do not mean to slight the value or content of the sticky posts; however I do agree that they consume a large portion of the allotted space on the various forum pages. I have ventured into this in the past but had failed to locate a viable solution to limit the space consumption without compromising on the value and importance inherent to the position given to the sticky posts. The idealistic solution that I could muster up at the time was to generate another “sticky” subforum that could be inserted where the sticky posts are currently residing. This subforum would be a single bar on all pages resembling those seen on the main forum page (https://www.antixforum.com/). When the subforum is marked completely read its bar background colour would match the forum page background colour. If then there would be an unread or new post contained within the subforum the subforum bar on all other pages would become an attention grabbing colour until marked as read. An additional detail would be that the subforum bar background colour remains in the attention grabbing state until ignored for “X” number of logins.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

sybok

One often sees posts asking for help without providing the basic information.
                  Therefore some… ehm, let’s say guiding new users strongly to go through some of the sticky posts would be beneficial.

Would it be possible to make a welcome screen to a newly registered user to point to some of the (formerly) sticky posts as a must|should-read?
                  Rewrite to wiki or other format (by the original authors or most active members, in a constructive way, in that topic?) post linked to a single sticky is a good idea too.

Xunzi_23

Personal preference would be HELP, READ BEFORE POSTING section containing FAQ etc.

Sybok wrote One often sees posts asking for help without providing the basic information.

Bothersome subject. If a Help section read before posting section was incorporated potential helpers
                    could point posters to that instead of begging for more information or time wasting guessing.

Important point is to tell users to use favorite search engine rather than forum search. It often just
                    frustrates by not finding even things which have been answered many times..

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
                    mikey777

I’m not familiar with ‘sticky posts’.
                      What are they and what do they look like?

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
                      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
                      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

sybok

@mikey777:
                        Sticky posts are (important) posts that stay at the top of each sub-forum.
                        Background of such post, as displayed in the forum menu, has a slightly different color, I see them as yellow.
                        E.g. there are 9 (?) sticky posts in https://www.antixforum.com/forums/forum/general/tips-and-tricks/

PPC

So currently there are 9 sticky posts. I think 10 is a nice round number, so it should the maximum number of “sticky posts”. More than that, people’s eyes glaze over the list.
                          It’s not because I started the post, but I do think that the “How to install applications” deserves to be “sticky”, since it’s one of the things users usually want to do on any OS.
                          Each user has his/her’s own opinion, but I do think that there are several “skickies” that make no sense being there, like “General problem with less commercial/popular web browsers”…
                          There were some strange “sticky” posts that are no more- and I agree with that- thanks for cleaning up that part of the forum!
                          P.

Lead Farmer

@PPC I do think that “How to install applications” it very good guide, I still have it saved in my bookmarks when I started to use Linux.
                            I think it should be added to your sticky post “Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie”, and maybe you can add other things like setting firewall, screen resolution… I think “Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie” it a good start for newbie guide, you can ask the mods to let you edit it.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Lead Farmer.
                            PPC

@lead Farmer – I’m working on a new “How to”, for antiX-23, that will be up to date and also I’ll try adding a few more entries…

blur13

Wow this discussion gave results quickly, that’s great!

I only ever check Recent Posts and there I counted a much more manageable 5 sticky posts:

1) Get cheat sheets Libreoffice plus some ICEWM shortcuts

2) Please report any additional forum issues

3) Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie

4) Upgrading antiX – don’ts

5) How to get HELP with an antiX PROBLEM

Like Dave so delicately put it “I do not mean to slight the value or content of the sticky posts”, but these are my thoughts. Sticky post number 1 (Get cheat sheets Libreoffice plus some ICEWM shortcuts) is way too specific to deserve to be a sticky post. The other posts are much broader in nature. It would make sense to remove number 1.

Number 2 (Please report any additional forum issues) could be renamed to simply Report forum issues. The original title made sense when it was posted, but now it serves as a general forum issue report topic.

Number 5 (How to get HELP with an antiX PROBLEM) could remove the all caps to stylistically fit in with the other sticky posts. So rename to: How to get help with an antiX problem.

bci

For regular users of the forum its just a mindnumbing half page scroll every time you want to check recent posts.

This.

@lead Farmer – I’m working on a new “How to”, for antiX-23, that will be up to date and also I’ll try adding a few more entries…

A good idea. Thank you, @ppc!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.