Too much sticky posts

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Too much sticky posts

• This topic has 37 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Jul 19-3:52 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Wow this discussion gave results quickly, that’s great!

I only ever check Recent Posts and there I counted a much more manageable 5 sticky posts:

1) Get cheat sheets Libreoffice plus some ICEWM shortcuts

2) Please report any additional forum issues

3) Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie

4) Upgrading antiX – don’ts

5) How to get HELP with an antiX PROBLEM

Like Dave so delicately put it “I do not mean to slight the value or content of the sticky posts”, but these are my thoughts. Sticky post number 1 (Get cheat sheets Libreoffice plus some ICEWM shortcuts) is way too specific to deserve to be a sticky post. The other posts are much broader in nature. It would make sense to remove number 1.

Number 2 (Please report any additional forum issues) could be renamed to simply Report forum issues. The original title made sense when it was posted, but now it serves as a general forum issue report topic.

Number 5 (How to get HELP with an antiX PROBLEM) could remove the all caps to stylistically fit in with the other sticky posts. So rename to: How to get help with an antiX problem.

Unless I messed up I addressed each item you thoughtfully documented and we have four (4) remaining sticky posts. I feel like changes now represent a reasonable compromise and if we are able to update or replace the remaining sticky posts as information changes this will remain helpful.

As you can see, when we work together it makes sense and it improves the forum. Thank you for the helpful feedback; if there’s anything I missed please be kind enough to detail specific things that can be done in addition to what’s already changed, especially if I missed or unintentionally did not address a suggestion. Thank you all!

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

A section for user guides (faqs, as suggested by blur13 or another name) would be good in my opinion. The current sticky posts don’t have a clear definition/title that explains why they are there and are not coordinated as a package.

This raises the question of who should coordinate them to make sure that they have a clear logic. That might be a significant amount of work.

stevesr0

P.S. I would argue that there should be a “sticky” or faq on keeping antiX systemd free. That was one that was removed. I am biased because I posted it<g>.

FAQs could be placed in Tips and Tricks OR we could create a topic or category called FAQs; another worthwhile alternative or complement to this suggestion would be to get a volunteer or two to update the antiX Wiki and/or the main Web page; finally, there may be an opportunity to decide whether to consolidate and put FAQ information in a single prominent location and point to it from the forum and the other resources. Suggestions on which option, or other idea, are also welcome.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

One often sees posts asking for help without providing the basic information.
          Therefore some… ehm, let’s say guiding new users strongly to go through some of the sticky posts would be beneficial.

Would it be possible to make a welcome screen to a newly registered user to point to some of the (formerly) sticky posts as a must|should-read?
          Rewrite to wiki or other format (by the original authors or most active members, in a constructive way, in that topic?) post linked to a single sticky is a good idea too.

Hi sybok; these are good suggestions. Take a look back through the last 5-6 most recent pages; in most weeks, some new user comes around, and 95% of the time our helpful, welcoming friend Marcelo Cripe greets the newcomers, sharing that in spite of language barriers, he has learned a great deal by reading a few of the important threads, and then he provides convenient links to each of the threads that have helped him out.

NOTE: with the recent changes, I hope those useful links still point to the most helpful topics; if not, they should be updated. Do Marcelo’s greetings provide anything similar to what you had in mind, or would you rather see something different; if so, if you can spell out what else we can do that would be great; in any case, I am sending out my note of gratitude to Marcelo for his many helpful, welcome messages to newcomers; I happen to think they are a great way to welcome people.

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Dave wrote:

“I do not mean to slight the value or content of the sticky posts; however I do agree that they consume a large portion of the allotted space on the various forum pages. I have ventured into this in the past but had failed to locate a viable solution to limit the space consumption without compromising on the value and importance inherent to the position given to the sticky posts. The idealistic solution that I could muster up at the time was to generate another “sticky” subforum that could be inserted where the sticky posts are currently residing. This subforum would be a single bar on all pages resembling those seen on the main forum page (https://www.antixforum.com/). When the subforum is marked completely read its bar background colour would match the forum page background colour. If then there would be an unread or new post contained within the subforum the subforum bar on all other pages would become an attention grabbing colour until marked as read. An additional detail would be that the subforum bar background colour remains in the attention grabbing state until ignored for “X” number of logins.”

I love the idea of some kind of visual differentiation, whether color, a specific subforum, or something else; if you find a way to do this as either a solution or an overall improvement to the forum, I’d gladly assist in testing and/or promoting the work. I do think that the adoption of a few of the suggestions in this thread has already given us some immediate relief. If we have an opportunity in the future to implement another forum design, your insights, development skills, and sensitivity to the views of others will most certainly be valued.

--
            Brian Masinick

Lead Farmer

@masinick Thanks for implementing the suggestions, I think the forum looks better now.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Lead Farmer.
              sybok

@masinick: I am aware of Marcelo’s effort.
                I thought more of a more “bothering” approach, such as welcome note (or request) after the registration or first login: Please do read these guidelines.

You could also add some general (ethical) guidelines of this forum into the mix.

techore

Looks much better with the removal of the stickies.

It was a small annoyance so never called it out. 😀

Thank you, forum admins and @lead-farmer.

Brian Masinick

@masinick: I am aware of Marcelo’s effort.
                    I thought more of a more “bothering” approach, such as welcome note (or request) after the registration or first login: Please do read these guidelines.

You could also add some general (ethical) guidelines of this forum into the mix.

Excellent idea. Feel free to expand upon it and if you have any desire to be a leader in the choice of words or organization I think it could be a chance to influence where we’re going in terms of what we say and how we manage both the forum and the evolving documents.

Otherwise we will change bits and pieces as each of us has a few minutes to adjust and modify the organization and content of each area of our overall project.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@masinick Thanks for implementing the suggestions, I think the forum looks butter now.

Reminds me of the “Italian American” movie called ‘Moonstruck’ with Cher and Nicholas Cage, when Loretta (Cher) is talking with her boss. He’s saying ‘I’m a genius!”. Loretta tells him, “You’ve got butter on your tie!”

--
                      Brian Masinick

sybok

@masinick:

1) “Bothering” approach:
                        I meant it would be good to implement it in the forum, not in the antiX distro itself.
                        I am not sure what the forum capabilities are, not sure how to find out.

This would probably require a longer discussion with someone more informed, if not immediately discarded as unsuitable or impossible to implement.
                        I would prefer not to disclose my e-mail or other contact in a post on forum and private messages are not working for me… for quite some time, probably related to https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/please-report-any-additional-forum-issues/page/6/#post-108958.

A welcome screen in antiX was already discussed
                        https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/proposal-for-an-antix-welcome-screen/
                        But I have not encountered it yet in my installs, perhaps, it was postponed or abandoned (I admit I did not go through all the discussion in the aforementioned topic).

2) Guidelines – I had in mind the following thread:
                        https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/general-forum-conduct/

That’s probably as expanded I could get. 🙂

Brian Masinick

I have added a response in each of the threads you mention @sybok. I’m not sure if you are expecting something else; that’s what is available from me; anticapitalista or an administrator may choose to add to or replace anything I’ve said and their intervention overrides anything else.

--
                          Brian Masinick

mcpderez

in any case, I am sending out my note of gratitude to Marcelo for his many helpful, welcome messages to newcomers; I happen to think they are a great way to welcome people.

I feel the same way; they are a great welcome and I definitely see the value of encouraging non-native English speakers to participate with machine translation if needed. The international participation here is one of the things I like about antiX.

However, and I hesitate to mention this, I have come to find them very slightly annoying to scroll past as they fill 2 full screens — to the point where I find myself not opening threads from new-to-me user names unless they have more than 2 posts, because more often than not (for me) the first reply is Marcelo’s welcome (and the original post lacking substantive information indicating any research effort on the part of the new poster). Maybe this message could be shown to new users as part of the sign up process instead of as a response to their first post. @marcelocripe, please don’t let this feedback discourage you. I value all of your other posts and I appreciate what you are trying to do to help and welcome new users. If there were a way to filter out only those posts, that might be the perfect solution.

For what it’s worth, I also can barely distinguish the background color of the stickies as any different than every even numbered non-sticky post, so my brain often has to work more than it should to find the beginning of the “real” posts. That will be somewhat better with a shorter list to scroll past, but I would make use of an option to disable or hide stickies unless they have an unread post if that path is chosen (or even to just hide them completely if that is easier to implement).

Thanks for being welcoming with suggestions.

Brian Masinick

@mcpderez your comment is worth the explanation; perhaps in “greeting” posts it would be best simply to greet.
                              If we want to refer someone to additional details, it might be better to write a single post with the
                              complete details and then reference that post with only the link to a detailed post of suggested sites
                              to visit; thank you for that suggestion.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Marcelo, please link to this entry (post #111536).

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Portuguese language text in Brazil directly into your language with the help of internet translators that you will get a much better result.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials:

What is antiX and how to try it out or install it.
                                Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie.
                                How-to install applications – 2020 version.
                                How to: correctly use antiX forum.

When I started using antix, I read the tutorials that the PPC created, these readings spared me a lot of my time and I think it saves the time of any new antix user. Your time will not be lost with these readings, it will seem to be much easier than you could imagine. You will not waste your time with internet searches or even create new topics, on the contrary, you will earn a lot of time from these readings. I recommend you try the work areas that have “ZZZ” in your name. I usually use the “ZZZ-Icewm” or “ZZZ-JWM” or “ZZZ-Fluxbox” (each of these work areas have their own characteristics and consume more or less resources). ZZZFM will be the default file manager in your desktop, it is very similar to other file managers from other GNU/Linux distributions and Windows XP. To access the other antix work areas, click the Antix menu (or right -click), desktop, switch between desktops and click on the work area name, instantly to desktop will be loaded.

In the Portuguese language area of this forum, there are several tutorials that may be useful for you . Use an automatic translator from the internet so you can understand the text.

Whenever you need to request technical help or support in this forum, explain in detail what is happening, do not save the words, be thorough when writing, enter the characteristics of your computer, such as the brand and the model. If possible, post the result of the command $ Inxi -zv7 of the terminal, copy and paste here in the message of the topic you create in this forum.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify Me of Follow-Up Replies via email”, marking this option, you will receive a message in your email box whenever there are answers from topic in question.

marcelocripe
                                (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Caso o seu idioma nativo não seja o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em idioma Português do Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Independentemente do seu nível de conhecimento sobre o GNU/Linux, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutoriais:

What is antiX and how to try it out or install it.
                                Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie.
                                How-to install applications – 2020 version.
                                How to: correctly use antiX forum.
                                How to get HELP with an antiX PROBLEM.

Quando eu comecei a utilizar o antiX, eu li os tutoriais que o PPC criou, estas leituras me pouparam muito do meu tempo e acho que poupa o tempo de qualquer novo usuário do antiX. O seu tempo não será perdido com estas leituras, tudo parecerá ser muito mais fácil do que você poderia imaginar. Você não perderá o seu tempo com pesquisas na internet ou até mesmo em criar novos tópicos, ao contrário, você ganhará muito tempo com estas leituras. Eu recomendo você experimentar as áreas de trabalho que possuem “zzz” em seu nome. Eu costumo utilizar o “zzz-IceWM” ou “zzz-JWM” ou “zzz-Fluxbox” (cada uma destas áreas de trabalho possuem características próprias e consomem mais ou menos recursos). O zzzFM será o gerenciador de arquivos padrão da sua área de trabalho, ele é muito semelhante aos outros gerenciadores de arquivos das outras distribuições GNU/Linux e do Windows XP. Para acessar as outras áreas de trabalho do antiX, clique no menu do antiX (ou clique com o botão direito na área de trabalho), Área de Trabalho, Alternar Entre as Áreas de Trabalho e clique sobre o nome da área de trabalho, instantaneamente a área de trabalho será carregada.

Na área em idioma Português deste fórum, possui diversos tutoriais que podem ser úteis para você. Utilize um tradutor automático da internet para você poder conseguir entender o texto.

Sempre que você precisar solicitar ajuda ou suporte técnico neste fórum, explique com detalhes o que está acontecendo, não economize as palavras, seja minucioso ao escrever, informe as características do seu computador, como a marca e o modelo. Se for possível, poste o resultado do comando $ inxi -zv7 do terminal, copie e cole aqui na mensagem do tópico que você for criar neste fórum.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, você receberá uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tópico em questão.

marcelocripe
                                (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.
                                • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.
                                • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                                Brian Masinick

sybok

@masinick:

What I meant was to explore the possibilities the forum itself might provide with an appropriate wordpress plugin (hopefully not introducing new vulnerabilities):
                                  If a new user registers, they would see this welcome screen linking to selected forum posts (individual posts or whole threads).
                                  This may include the sticky posts and forum conduct.
                                  I am willing to participate in testing if timezone difference will not be an issue.

BTW, I only recently noticed that forum conduct is present in “Announcement” box at the top of the main forum page https://www.antixforum.com/ .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.