Too much sticky posts

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Too much sticky posts

• This topic has 37 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Jul 19-3:52 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

When the final antiX 23 release comes out (either just before or just after) I am sure there will be some new documentation.
      It may be a good time to update the main Website, adjust a few more forum particulars, and update the Announcements.
      I’ve tried to do as many things as I can, but like others, I do also have other things to do so I can’t do everything myself.

Additional help is appreciated. Many times in the history of our system I can recall various people who stepped up and provided things of interest.
      I can remember John (had an ID something like OU611, probably a different number), of course the great Skidoo, not that long ago Xecure, Moddit, we
      still have PPC, yours truly, Dave, bitjam, Dolphin Oracle and naturally anticapitalista.

I started out primarily as a writer/promoter, but sometimes I can do more, though my development skills are rusty.
      I’ve moderated the forum ever since we started facing issues from the outside, and I’ve worked behind the scenes with our Webmaster and others
      to test and implement a few forum related features.

I hope at least 1 or 2 people emerge during the course of this and the next release to
      1) add fresh ideas and
      2) implement some of the things we’ve been discussing for a while now

--
      Brian Masinick

blur13

This topic has accomplished a lot of practical things that greatly improve the forum. Reducing the sticky posts to four is a great improvement.

I’m also a bit ambivalent about marcelocripe welcome message. On the one hand I appreciate the intention of helping out. On the other hand its a bit heavy handed to slam down a two page manual every time someone says hi, especially when no such thing was asked for. I think providing a link to marcelocripe welcome message is the perfect solution. Its there, in case someone wants to read it, but it doesnt detract from the discussion. So, another win for the forum!

Thank you Brian for turning words into actions, great job!

Brian Masinick

Thank you blue13.

I know my friend Marcelo has the very best intentions; I took it upon myself to take one of his posts, copy his words into another post and link to it, then I hand edited several recent welcome messages and also checked to make sure the information was still available, minus the expansive space.

I believe the intent remains; for those who do want to know, they can click the link and see the information.

--
          Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Thanks. This is an excellent idea.
            The text I leave for all new antiX forum participants is the text I wish I had received when I started antiX. This text will change when antiX 23 is released as it will have zzz-IceWM as its default desktop. blur13 is absolutely right that the text bothers a lot of people, but most of the time those who ask for help provide us with little information and therefore end up with no answers.

– – – – –

Obrigado. Esta é uma excelente ideia.
            O texto que eu deixo para todos os novos participantes do fórum do antiX é o texto que eu gostaria de ter recebido quando eu iniciei no antiX. Este texto sofrerá alterações quando o antiX 23 for lançado, pois ele terá o zzz-IceWM como a sua área de trabalho padrão. O blur13 tem toda razão que o texto incomoda muita gente, mas na maioria das vezes quem pede ajuda nos fornece poucas informações e por isso acaba ficando sem respostas.

Brian Masinick

Thanks. This is an excellent idea.
              The text I leave for all new antiX forum participants is the text I wish I had received when I started antiX. This text will change when antiX 23 is released as it will have zzz-IceWM as its default desktop. blur13 is absolutely right that the text bothers a lot of people, but most of the time those who ask for help provide us with little information and therefore end up with no answers.

– – – – –

Obrigado. Esta é uma excelente ideia.
              O texto que eu deixo para todos os novos participantes do fórum do antiX é o texto que eu gostaria de ter recebido quando eu iniciei no antiX. Este texto sofrerá alterações quando o antiX 23 for lançado, pois ele terá o zzz-IceWM como a sua área de trabalho padrão. O blur13 tem toda razão que o texto incomoda muita gente, mas na maioria das vezes quem pede ajuda nos fornece poucas informações e por isso acaba ficando sem respostas.

Very good! When the new information comes out, feel free to update your helpful topics, then create a link to the topic; this way the content is available in a convent form, and it also saves physical space so that people who are scrolling through the topics, particularly on devices with minimal scrolling space, will still be able to view all content, and then click on items of interest.

This is an excellent idea, which allows easy access to a LOT of valuable information, yet it’s selectable – those who are looking for information can find it; those who have already seen it and are familiar can bypass it, so it is helpful in multiple ways.

Thanks to those who suggested thought and effort in areas like this; a few useful changes can go a long way – this is a lot like our version that is currently in development – many features are the same, yet we have introduced additional features to make navigation useful, information easy to find, improved menu organization, updated visual graphics, and more, not just change for the sake of change, some changes improve security, etc. Not everyone will need or want what we have; there are alternatives for them too – stick with currently supported systems, investigate other freely available software, or try out what we are creating; choices abound!

--
              Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Please, Mr. Brian, remove the phrase “Olá jamie88obd” from the text “pt_BR”.
                Thanks.

– – – – –

Por favor, senhor Brian remova do texto “pt_BR” a frase “Olá jamie88obd”.
                Obrigado.

marcelocripe

Brian Masinick wrote:
                  When you have the time to read, please visit Marcelo’s link, or alternatively look at the first four posts in the forum under the Recent Posts menu (which is a pull down menu on the left side beneath Forum; both locations have a lot of information about the use of antiX; Marcelo’s links should make this convenient to access –
                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/seja-bem-vindo-a-ao-antix-linux-e-ao-forum-antix-19-21-e-22/

Mr Brian, I don’t know if people will really have the attention and patience to follow the URL I indicated and read all the text. If people don’t do this, the goal of welcoming new users to antiX and the forum will not be achieved, and if that happens, we will have new threads with the same questions that every newcomer to the forum usually asks being repeated over and over again. The repetition of the same topics can cause exhaustion of the people who help with technical support here in the forum and we do not want that to happen.

My greetings.

– – – – –

Brian Masinick wrote:
                  When you have the time to read, please visit Marcelo’s link, or alternatively look at the first four posts in the forum under the Recent Posts menu (which is a pull down menu on the left side beneath Forum; both locations have a lot of information about the use of antiX; Marcelo’s links should make this convenient to access –
                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/seja-bem-vindo-a-ao-antix-linux-e-ao-forum-antix-19-21-e-22/

Senhor Brian, eu não sei se as pessoas realmente terão a atenção e a paciência de seguirem o URL que eu indiquei e lerem todo o texto. Se as pessoas não fizerem isso, o objetivo da recepção dos novos usuários do antiX e do fórum não será atingido, e se isso acontecer, nós teremos novos tópicos com as mesmas perguntas que todo iniciante no fórum costuma fazer sendo repetidos diversas vezes. A repetição dos mesmos tópicos podem causar a exaustão das pessoas que ajudam com o suporte técnico aqui no fórum e isso nós não queremos que aconteça.

Meus cumprimentos.

Brian Masinick

Those who are motivated will do the work; those who don’t can catch up or if they are unwilling they probably won’t stay here anyway,

We also have an opportunity to improve the Website and the Wiki and update the forum notes; I suspect that PPC will update his tutorial notes; we need additional good writing for our other resources. I can certainly do something but there are other people who have superior technical skills; I can correct and edit writing; that’s something I can do well. I can also test.

Hopefully all the work necessary to do the job right will be a shared effort.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.