Toolbar Popup Icons, new users really loving them

Forum Forums General Software Toolbar Popup Icons, new users really loving them

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Jan 28-6:11 pm by BobC.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

Feedback, for BobC and anyone else interested.

Latest new users are finding the popup toolbar icons both attractive and very useful.

Especialy valuable for one person using a huge high quality 4K TV as a monitor, even
      Huge Icons look tiny there and are hard to interpret.

BobC and ICEWM Devs, was asked to communicate many thanks for the great improvement in
      usability, came after I switched the feature on in ICEWM preferences while in first
      introduction to antiX phase.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Xunzi_23.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Xunzi_23. Reason: clarity
      BobC

Thanks. And yes, my daily driver laptop has 4k resolution, and I don’t use the Huge theme because I have 27 toolbar icons. It is so easy to use when everything you might want to run is right there for the price of a single click.

I came up with a concept called a dynamic toolbar, where it would automatically add any new programs that you added, and have reserved slots, and the rest would be decided based on a exponentially weighted average of how many times the application had been run, but it seemed like I was the only person who saw value in it. It would avoid needing to edit the toolbar file, pretty much, because it would learn and reorganize itself based on your actions and application usage over time.

The other one that has not gained favor is the concept of sublevel toolbars, where you could put a toolbar on your toolbar, for example replacing the personal menu, or allowing the icons not rated high enough to go to a less frequently used apps toolbar.

Xunzi_23

Hi BobC,
          slightly worried about icons changing places if a toolbar became automated although after a while it should stabilize
          or could have a lock switch. Will ask a new user and his interested wife what they think. Both are really fed up of windoze as
          recent updates brought troubles with mouse and keyboard becoming unresponsive and seemingly no rollback possible.
          Good motivation to use a decent OS in future :-).

Sub level toolbar might be an overdose for most users, will have a think about it.

On the huge 4K screen a lot of mouse movement is needed to reach the toolbar, quite a lot on my full HD widescreen too, a
          frequently used subset opening at cursor position would be more efficient. I can set mouse movent faster but it reaches a point
          where grabbing a window border is a test of motor skills and patience.

The full menu comes up at right click, nicer, more useful, might be a frequently used applications subset, if that could be
          done without too much effort.

BobC

Hi BobC,
            slightly worried about icons changing places if a toolbar became automated although after a while it should stabilize
            or could have a lock switch.

Yes, the idea included the ability to have #HIDE at the left end of the line to hide that application, or a space followed by #LOCK at the right end of the line to lock it in place

Sub level toolbar might be an overdose for most users, will have a think about it.

And what if it could open automatically with no additional clicks as a “Toolbar” on the main menu, and the sub level toolbars opened off it?

Add a line at the end of your ~/.icewm/menu file, save it, and then Restart IceWM from the pullout off the Logout menu:
            menufile "Toolbar" /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48x48/apps/applications.png toolbar

Also, you could add a line to your ~/.icewm/toolbar file that says:
            menufile "Personal" /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48x48/apps/applications.png personal

Now right click on the screen and try it 🙂 (see 1st pic) Note that if you hover over personal, that sub menu opens up

The second pic is how it looks on the toolbar

On the huge 4K screen a lot of mouse movement is needed to reach the toolbar, quite a lot on my full HD widescreen too, a
            frequently used subset opening at cursor position would be more efficient. I can set mouse movent faster but it reaches a point
            where grabbing a window border is a test of motor skills and patience.

What theme are you using? The antiX Magic themes I created have much larger corners to make grabbing easier. They are available on the themes menu.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by BobC.
            • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by BobC.
            • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by BobC. Reason: add 2nd pic of toolbar view
            BobC

PS: My thinking is that the #LOCK applications will be generated in sequence at the far left of the toolbar, and the same application would not get added again in the dynamic apps list based on its usage to the right

Xunzi_23

BobC,
                Thanks for Input, I now have the antiX magic themes in use.
                Will do some testing of menu and tollbar experiment and possible changes, hopefully early next week.

Together with new user we installed a lot of applications then setup a toolbar manualy.
                Also had a fight with his hardware, AMD Ryzen 8 core with a difficult sound setup over HDMI. Mostly
                working now. For his usage mainly as a media center hopelessly overpowered.

Too many changes too quickly will confuse more than help so giving time for my friend to explore his new
                setup. He is still afraid of breaking things, that will be over in a week or so, once he gets confident in
                antiX tools.

BobC

Yes, start at challenge of small problem, try to solve, if solution fails, try again, eventually master. Rinse, repeat and gradual improvement occurs as individual new tricks are mastered.

The very new systems might need a 6. kernel. I’m running a Liquorix kernel on this machine only, and it made the difference for me to get bluetooth headphones working.

Changing themes is a good start. Try a few. And see what is better or what is worse with each.

Take a look at the toolbar file I attached above. It needs to be renamed or merged with the current toolbar file to have any effect, but in it you can see how to add sub level direct from toolbar menus. I am trying to get the devs to display them in a toolbar horizontal list of icons format when selected from the toolbar. It would be great if it would pop them up when hovering instead of the large icon when the item being hovered is not a program.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.