toward Debian10 (buster, antiX 19)

Forum Forums antiX-development Development toward Debian10 (buster, antiX 19)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by noClue Feb 19-5:56 am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    skidoo

gtkorphan (can’t recall whether it is pre-installed in antiX full) is dropped from Debian 10.
    As a workaround, a user-configurable custom filter can be created in synaptic.
    As a (not pre-installed) replacement: packagesearch (Qt4 UI, 30Mb+) provides GUI for deborphan search functionality

==========

suggestion: add a launcher for “Qt5ct” to the antiX controlCenter
    suggestion: omit “gtkcolor” (colorpicker) from pre-installed packages
    suggestion: add a launcher for “xmag” (screen magnifier) to Desktop menu :: Accessories

==========

leafpad
    its package has been https://bugs.debian.org/913765 orphaned,
    debian bugtracker cites several “grave bugs” https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=leafpad
    -=-
    there are at least 3 possible alternatives that could serve as simple/lightweight default text editor: mousepad and medit and pluma

==========

noClue
    noClue

Meeehdit … what’s that? Never heard of.
    Mousepad is standard / default in XFCE.
    Pluma is standard / default in Mate.

Since Anti is already playing with XFCE, maybe Mouse?

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

skidoo

sudo apt install medit
    It is a poor cousin to geany (comparable featureset).
    Although I wouldn’t choose it as my default editor, the manner in which it (optionally) displays “visible space characters” is sometimes helpful. Geany, in contrast, displays visually distracting “middot”(?) character to denote space chars.

noClue
    noClue

antiX ships already with Geany, Leafpad, MC edit, Nano and Vim.
    Depending on how one counts, LibreOffice can do it to.
    Just how many text editors one OS needs?

One Application per Task is the golden rule.

No matter what you include, it‘s probably not be everybodys taste.
    That’s why you‘d take one solid program that can do basics and let the people use it or exchange it if they need something else, more sophisticated, quicker, tiny …

If I wouldn’t be using Geany, I‘d have 6 text editors and still, I‘d need to install one more. If one ignores „frekditors“ (MC/Nano/Vim), there is still at least one too much.
    Do you understand what I wanna say?

skidoo

Are two other editors also pre-installed, along with those you mentioned?
    “e3” and “wordgrinder”

LibreOffice only ships in antiX “Full” version.
    geany is an IDE, displays under Programming applications submenu.
    vim is actually “vim.tiny” and (along with mc) is present due to requests by longtime users.
    So I wouldn’t expect any of these will be removed.

Based on fewest/smallest dependencies and on runtime memory overhead (I checked/compared),
    mousepad would be the “leanest/meanest” leafpad replacement.

Heh, I’m the wrong person to ask “how many text editors one needs?” You’re golden rule would be a noose around my neck. Glancing at fbpanel, I notice that I’m even running one we haven’t yet mentioned ~~ “tea”. It provides a robust set of text manipulation commands, but I guess it’s an app I regard as an IDE rather than a text editor.

noClue
    noClue

Well skidoo, you know my opinion on that matter. 😉

antiX has already a couple of different editions. Making one more “antiX 4 Human Beings” wouldn’t heart and antiX could fill the gap that stays behind Lubuntu.
    antiX in its present state is O.K. for a minority, majority wants something else — if you (we both) like it or not.
    When our Mums don’t call us for help, then one system succeeded. 😉
    Otherways — it sucks (like right now).

Geany is what you make out of it. It’ll appear where you say it in your .desktop file and look like you want it to look. Have you ever saw Geany in Bunsen?
    There it is just a simple Text editor and no IDE. I reconfigured it back though, since I’ve no use for text editors.

I agree on Mousepad being the best replacement. It’s fine for taking quick notes.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I bet mum never uses a text editor 🙂

BTW – antiX has no intention of being a ‘lighter’ Lubuntu.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

noClue
    noClue

It’s your good right to make whatever you want out of antiX, but however you turn it, either you make it for fun or for the actual usage.
    If you want more users, you need to give them what they want or otherwise, you just get Distrowatch clicks, but still have no users.

P.S.
    My Mum needs a web browser and file manager on the task bar.
    No, she never uses text editor.

🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.