Transifex resource android-device-usb-connect.pot

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Transifex resource android-device-usb-connect.pot

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jun 5-3:56 pm by zeh.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

In Transifex, resource android-device-usb-connect.pot
    String 29 reads:
    «Please check that you have ALLOWED access to your files on your android device in order to proceed\n \n Note: If you did not allow access, simply unplug and plug in your device’s USB cable once more»

I assume «(…) unplug and plug in your device’s USB cable once more» has the idea of allowing permission while unplugged implicit. I’d suggest to have it explicitly stated instead, to avoid a first misunderstanding by whoever may not immediately get the implicit idea. Suggestion: «(…) unplug, allow permission, and plug in your device’s USB cable once more»

String 26 reads:
    «Checking if device can be mounted, asking user to grant permission on the device and try to mount again»
    Am I seeing it wrongly or it should be «Checking (…), asking (…) and trying (…)»? All actions are internal to the device and not user actions, right?

@zeh

About string 29:
    The original line has a typo (my bad): it read “ALLOW”, and that got (luckily) corrected…

At least, on my android test device (my Android 10 phone), if I, by mistake did not ALLOW access, if I don’t unplug the phone, it won’t ask to allow access to it’s internal files again. It only asks that if it’s unplugged, re-plugged again AND the script is re-run… So «(…) unplug, allow permission, and plug in your device’s USB cable once more» does not work in this particular case… The text is 100% correct as is…

About string 26:
    It has 2 typos… it should read
    «Checking if the device can be mounted, asking user to grant permission on the device and trying to mount again»
    (I only caught the first typo, and that was after I sent the script over to anticapitalista, and it was already translated. It was such a minor and unnoticeable (see bellow) typo that I left it there…

In this case, I missed the typos because the text only shows up if you run the script in a terminal, for debugging proposes- a user that just clicks the icon from the menu, or launches the script’s .desktop file will NOT see any of this text…. Buy yeah, you are right, it should be corrected- the main problem with that is, if the original text is corrected, the translators will have to translate that line again…

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by PPC.
    masinickmasinick

Thanks for your work and your updates PPC!

Brian Masinick

@PPC
    Typos happen to everybody, no big deal about that. The thing is what should be done once they have been spotted.
    IMO typos should always be corrected once spotted, because typos tend to pass an “amateurish” image of the work even if they’re not the kind that potentially mislead the reader. This is why I’ve raised the issues. But I accept that others may think differently and focus on other aspects of the matter.
    An other thing is typos should as much as possible be spotted BEFORE going “public” and that means having at least an other pair of eyes going through the texts before “release”.
    Regarding the new feature, I didn’t expect it to be included in the system before translators had been given one or two weeks to translate the new resources on Transifex (I’d even like that translators would be given a sort of deadline for translation of new features), so I didn’t check if the feature was already in the system. I’ve done it now and I confirm the original text in string 29 was/is correct. The wording misled me though (and not only me, I guess).

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by zeh.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.