Translating keyboard short cuts

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Translating keyboard short cuts

This topic contains 36 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by zeh Dec 22-6:58 am.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    zeh

@ missTell

I very well tried to help and the simplest solution was:

Who can’t speak English should:

1. Learn English
    2. Use cheat sheet

Very enlightening, very helpful… Thank you very much…
    Please compare your “help” with skidoo’s.

I’ve got answers confirming that my initial premise «translating ‘Alt+H’ as ‘Alt+A’ … doesn’t have any effect in the shortcut itself» is correct and that redoing shortcuts/key-bindings is not a triviality. [Note that I said “translating”, not “changing” – changing/redoing was what I was trying to find out whether it could be easily attained or not. Both you and skidoo misread what I’ve written, but you haven’t seen me complaining about that – misreading happens to anyone, smart missTell included, and most of the times it’s not a problem (as long as the misreading is identified by the other party it’s not a problem, by definition)].
    So, I don’t see the point of keeping the off topic discussion in this thread.
    I’m here myself just to try to make you realize that from your first reply to the last one what you’ve basically done was to say you’re smart and others are stupid (please get back at least to your last post and read it with at least a little bit of self critical thinking). That’s not helping, regardless of what you say. Moreover, that’s not in the spirit of the antix and MX teams, by no means.
    If you don’t want to help, that’s absolutely fine. No one is obliged to help and no one gets criticized for not helping – helping is a volunteer act. However, if you don’t want to help please just don’t mess around with people who ask for help. On the other hand, if you do want to help, please realize that by playing smart missTell you won’t provide the help you mean to provide.
    Regarding your opinions, what I can say is you’re totally entitled to them, of course, just like anybody else, but you’re not entitled to impose them on anyone, much less in a forum meant to be a place for help, not a place for opinions out of one’s head (for how correct they might be – and some of yours simply aren’t), and much less in a rude way.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by zeh.
    zeh

Now back to keyboard shortcuts, what drives me nuts is when I install a system with weird shortcuts, although well documented what they are, I can’t figure out where the definitions are hiding so I can alter them to what I like. There seem to be many places where those can hide. What are these fools thinking when they make them, that for using their system we are going to change out “settled” ways? How dare they, and what is so hard about stating that “to edit shortcuts go to /etc/X11/kbdshcuts.70”. And what about console shortcuts that interfere with terminal shortcuts?

They’re not fouls and they don’t dare. They’re just common people (who happen to have specialized in programming), so they do what everybody else does – they act and react according to their own (many times unperceived) perceptions, which in the case are that computers are used in English, the language they use, themselves. They do the same (acting based on perceptions) when they use a lot of IT jargon, for instance, without realizing the difficulties it brings to non experts (because it is difficult for an expert to realize that, whatever the field concerned).
    So, what I do is just asking once in while if this or that could be easily done. If the answer is yes, excellent, if it’s no, I just thank them for what they’ve already provided me with – superb SOes, in the cases of antix and MX.
    And if you ask them where to find this or that in the system, I’m pretty sure somebody will come up with that info for you. At least in the MX forum, for sure. I’m new on this forum and I’ve got the impression there are less members of the dev team around here, so there might be some difference between the foruns, I don’t know yet.

Anonymous

I see your point. Nevertheless, I was more thinking whether it’s possible or not to have those translations tied to the localization, for instance.

Note that I said “translating”, not “changing” – changing/redoing …

Translation tied to the localization (from #14394) would be a change — if one would try to implement it.
    Or you just maybe misunderstood yourself. One never knows with some people.

As explained by MissTell in post #2, and in my followup post, your premise “changing Alt+H to Alt+A … doesn’t have any effect in the shortcut itself”
    is — for many, if not most programs — incorrect.

As said, missTell knows, missTell says …

Jealous or desperate?

zeh

Jealous or desperate?

Your case seems to be pathological. I’m sorry for you and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Anonymous

Both. 🙂 🙂 🙂

My saying …

I’m sorry for you and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

caprea
    caprea

I’m new on this forum

I’m sorry that this was one of the first experiences here in the forum for you. It’s usually a relatively friendly place where you get the answers you need.
    This thread ended again in an “My opinion is the most important and smartest much smarter and more important than your silly question” thread
    May best is you ask a mod for closing it.

zeh

I’m sorry that this was one of the first experiences here in the forum for you. It’s usually a relatively friendly place where you get the answers you need.
    This thread ended again in an “My opinion is the most important and smartest much smarter and more important than your silly question” thread
    May best is you ask a mod for closing it.

No worries. I’ve got a satisfactory answer to the issue I’ve raised and I’ve said what I think was worth saying, so everything is OK. One tree doesn’t make the forest. Unless someone comes up with some additional relevant info, I personally take this thread as if it were closed. Besides, I follow the MX forum for a while already, so I don’t feel totally new here, despite having just registered a couple of days ago. And thanks for bringing in a little bit more of the antix/MX excellent spirit.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by zeh.
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.