Trinity Desktop Environment

Forum Forums General Software Trinity Desktop Environment

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jun 20-8:49 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mattkingusamattkingusa

Are there any plans to include Trinity Desktop Environment in antiX?

https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

I can’t recall any discussions here regarding that prospect
    (forum search or forumarchive search probably will turn up some dated banter, though)
    and personally wouldn’t be enthusiastic toward the prospect of adding it (and then struggling to provide “support” toward dealing with the quirks of yet another desktop)

Here are a couple close relatives (systemd-free) for your consideration:
    http://exegnulinux.net (based on Devuan)
    and
    http://trinity.mypclinuxos.com

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

Hi mattkingusa,

If you want to install it yourself the newest 14.0.7 works on antiX-19a2 just
    fine here following the website instructions for buster. As far as devs adding
    it … someone would have to prepare/set it up like in the old openbox thread.

https://antixlinux.com/forum-archive/search-and-request-for-openbox-t5411.html

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: misspelled OP name
    Attachments:

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

If you only want trinity … one possibility is to read manyroads xfce page and
    switch xfce packages for the trinity ones. You would either leave slim or install
    lightdm, add the trinity then remove the other ones.
    Again this is for 19-a2 but I guess it’s 19-b1 now since updating it earlier. The install
    sequence for the trinity is in the screenshot.

Normal == 🙂

mattkingusamattkingusa

Woah, nice responses. Makes sense that it would be needless extra work to maintain another desktop. And installing seems extremely easy. I don’t think I will be trying another distro really though. I doubt trinity can even run on 128mb of ram anyway. Also, thank you very much for the install directions in the screenshot.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by mattkingusa.
    linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

Trinity plays better with 1741-stretch but on a 64-bit install is still over 200mb ram usage. So on
    32-bit maybe closer to 128mb but doubtful that low…For anything useful I’d say shoot for a 512mb with
    at least a p3 in as a minimum. The install repos for stretch are a bit different so I might put them
    in a txt file so others may try out. Really doing a trinity right on antiX would be easier as a
    respin iso than intigrated.

Normal == 🙂

Only 128? Wow that’s light… The other post says a Dell Inspiron 3800. What size of memory card(s)? Used cards are very cheap, not useful for current machines, and maybe just in someone’s drawer taking up space…

mattkingusamattkingusa

Well, over the last 4 weeks I have purchased a stick of 512 that did not work and then a 256mb x 2 kit from the same ebay seller but that kit did not work either. So at the moment I am stuck with 128. I have a PIII 700Mhz but my gpu can’t even do opengl. I installed quake II from the CD and installed Half Life but they both fail because the gpu can’t do opengl. Unless I am incorrect and just don’t have the proper drivers installed. It has an 8MB AGP Rage Mobility gpu. Anyway, I have found a stick of 256MB on newegg for like $13 USD. But I am waiting to hear back from the ebay seller to see if I can return the other ram first. The ram that’s in there is 64MB x 2 at the moment. But the system won’t boot with any other ram, and if I put the wrong stick in the wrong side it won’t boot either. Apparently it has to have ram stick a in slot a and ram stick b in slot b. Not sure.

What kind of machine is this? Is this a desktop? Laptop? I have several Pentium III machines and have always been able to get them up to 512 MB. But your machine may be more proprietary. I have had good success using an outlet like http://www.kahlon.com. I find my model and they list the compatible RAM.

Anyway, with 128MB you’ll want to stay with a window manager. Probably JWM or Fluxbox. At least that is what has worked for me.

Seaken64

Okay, I see it’s a laptop. Most of mine are desktops. But the manual for the Inspiron 3800 says it can support 512. Kahlon has a lot of 3800 models. You may need to narrow down the model number more.

Seaken64

mattkingusamattkingusa

Hey sorry, I didn’t get any kind of notification about your response. The model is a G700ST. The ram vendor said that model doesn’t exist. But the BIOS says it’s a G700ST so does the boot splash and neofetch as well. But, it has an “A” and “B” ram slot that literally won’t work if I swap the ram sticks into the other slot. “A” stick has to be in “A” slot and the same with “B” stick. Not sure what to think about this system. But it’s working very well with antiX.

The specs I found said the max is 256 mb combined in the 2 slots (ie 128 mb each). It might need to be matched cards. I found some 64 mb ones in some old laptops, and one 128 mb. Given your comment above, I would suggest trying to take it to a used computer repair/sales place and negotiate a cheap price for a couple matched 128 mb chips with a 7 day return warranty, and being sure to ground yourself, replace them right then and there to see if they work, and if not return.

PS: I’m amazed you have x windows running with only 128 mb.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by BobC.

I’ve run X in 48MB Ram, but I wouldn’t say it was useable, With 128MB it is tolerable if you are careful to do one thing at a time. And I use a text based browser or reader, file manager, etc.

256 will make a big difference. I am running antiX 17 Base IceWM in 256, on an old Pentium III 450Mhz, and use Cantata and NetSurf and sometimes SeaMonkey.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by seaken64.

I’ve been testing Q4OS with TDE. It seems pretty lean. It uses less RAM than MX. But I think you will need at least 512MB. Probably best with 1GB.

Here:
    https://q4os.org/

I think it’s the only distro that has direct support for TDE.

Seaken64

PCLinuxOS also has TDE but not sure if there is a 32 bit version

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.