Trouble putting antiX 17 on an ASUS X55U :(

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Trouble putting antiX 17 on an ASUS X55U :(

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Mynaardt Apr 8-1:00 am.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mynaardt
    Mynaardt

Hi, All!

Thing is, I’ve got an ASUS X55U that I would like to put antiX on. I’ve tried a couple of times. It looked like it was working, until I tried to boot it up. All I got was the BIOS giving me some sort of invalid hard drive or drive access message.

This particular make and model was made just as that UEFI business was coming out, so I think the BIOS is a bit fiddly compared to others. And when I did try to install antiX the first time I got a message in the installation process that the hard drive wasn’t in very good shape. So, I bought me a solid state drive (on sale at a good price) to try and extend the life of this older machine. Unfortunately, got the same result; some sort of drive error message when I tried booting it up without the live USB installer.

Just in case it matters, the live boot on a USB stick works just fine.

Could someone tell me what I might be missing? I tried installing antiX using the MBR thing when asked where I wanted the boot loader. I thought that would work, but apparently not in this case. I’m sure I’m missing something in the installation problem that should be obvious. But I just can’t see it.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Let me know if it would help to have some sort of input from the computer itself.

Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Mynaardt.

antiX is your computer's friend: always trust the antiX operating system

noClue
    noClue

I’d recommend you to do two things first, before attempting to install antiX.

1. BIOS & EFI/UEFI

There are basically three ways of booting:

BIOS (which might also be called *CSM or Legacy)

EFI/UEFI with Secure Boot –> this one should be disabled for installing antiX

EFI/UEFI w/o Secure Boot (== NO Secure Boot / Secure Boot disabled)

For antiX, you would try to install in BIOS/CSM mode.

*Compatibility Support Module

2. “invalid hard drive or drive access message”

Complete and exact message that you received would probably give us some clue on what is going on …

I doubt that there is a problem with a HDD/SSD or whatever you use, but however, I personally would never attempt an install on ‘HD health unknown’.

Unfortunately, there’s exactly one 100% reliable way to check disk and find/repair/mark the eventual bad sectors in such a way that every other OS can use that information.

That way is to completely delete the disk (save your data first!), formate it with NTFS and execute chkdsk under Windows.

This can be done only if you can take out the HDD/SSD and temporary put it in another Windows machine, connected directly to motherboard (NOT connected over USB; that might or might not work, depending on the controller/driver that USB case is using) or if you use the Hiren’s boot DVD.

Afterward, you can simply reformat it to anything you need … btrfs, ext4, xfs … just DON’T delete it and make new, but simply reformat.

Once you find out how to manage your BIOS/UEFI and find out in which state is your HDD/SSD, we could try to help you further.

I tried installing antiX using the MBR thing when asked where I wanted the boot loader.

You should install on internal HD.

Since you probably have one and only internal HD in an avarage laptop, it’ll be called sda.

sda is the whole drive and that’s where the boot loader has to be installed.

sda1, sda2, sda3 … sda + some number are the partitions.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Just wondering if this one is like yours. A Baytrail.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2388054

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Also it helps while running live pen drive to post some specs with with a lxterminal report with

inxi -Fxzr

To give members a better understanding of what is going on here.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo

Unfortunately, there’s exactly one 100% reliable way to check disk and find/repair/mark the eventual bad sectors in such a way that every other OS can use that information.

That way is to completely delete the disk (save your data first!), formate it with NTFS and execute chkdsk under Windows.

Please review the manpage for badblocks (it is a pre-installed utility provided by the “e2fsprogs” package).
    Am I missing some detail? Should we not expect that it, or chkdsk, would be equally effective?

edit:
    “mark” is probably the operative term in the quoted bit.
    chkdsk /F (marks, but only 1 drive formatted partition, per run)
    vs
    badblocks (outputs a list for entire device, and marking is relegated to a separate step)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by skidoo.
    caprea
    caprea

Mynaardt, I just searched for your laptop ASUS X55U on the Old Forum Archive.This was the first result.
    https://antixlinux.com/forum-archive/dual-boot-with-linix-mint-solved-t6939.html

So it looks like you installed and booted your laptop in Uefi mode until now.
    If this is not a dual-boot and you like to make an antiX-installation on your new ssd in Uefi mode, here’s a How To from the MX-Wiki
    The points of interest for you start with “MX-17 64-bit UEFI Installation-Step 2: GPT Partitioning”

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/uefi/

Mynaardt
    Mynaardt

Hi Again!

Would have answered sooner, but I’ve been busy with some acadmeic STUFF…

Anyway — I got antiX 17.4 working properly now! hooray!

First thing I tried was noClue’s suggestion about the GPARTED partition thing; just removing the partition that was already there.

Next, I installed grub on /dev/sda, also as noClue suggested. That was probably where I was going wrong from the get-go.

Ayway, it is working now.

As for rokytnji’s suggestion about inxi input; here it is, for posterity (sort of):

$ inxi -Fxzr
    System:
    Host: antix-malcolm Kernel: 4.9.160-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 6.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2
    Distro: antiX-17.4.1_x64-full Helen Keller 28 March 2019
    base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
    Machine:
    Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: X55U v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
    Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X55U v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends
    v: X55U.413 date: 10/24/2012
    Battery:
    ID-1: BAT0 charge: 11.4 Wh condition: 14.2/49.5 Wh (29%) model: ASUSTek K55–44
    CPU:
    Topology: Dual Core model: AMD C-60 APU with Radeon HD Graphics bits: 64 type: MCP
    arch: Bobcat L2 cache: 512 KiB
    flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 3992
    Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/1000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800
    Graphics:
    Device-1: AMD Wrestler [Radeon HD 6290] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon v: kernel
    bus ID: 00:01.0
    Display: server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
    resolution: 1366×768~60Hz
    OpenGL:
    renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.9.160-antix.1-amd64-smp LLVM 3.9.1)
    v: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 direct render: Yes
    Audio:
    Device-1: AMD Wrestler HDMI Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus ID: 00:01.1
    Device-2: AMD FCH Azalia vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus ID: 00:14.2
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.160-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Network:
    Device-1: Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 [Kilmer Peak] driver: iwlwifi
    v: kernel port: f100 bus ID: 01:00.0
    IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: alx
    v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0
    IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:
    Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 4.80 GiB (4.3%)
    ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SUV400S37120G size: 111.79 GiB
    Partition:
    ID-1: / size: 107.29 GiB used: 4.80 GiB (4.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
    ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
    Sensors:
    System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 52 C
    Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2500
    Repos:
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
    1: deb http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch stretch main nosystemd nonfree
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
    1: deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
    1: deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
    2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
    No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list
    Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list
    1: deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera Browser (final releases)
    No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list
    Info:
    Processes: 165 Uptime: 39m Memory: 3.46 GiB used: 1.00 GiB (29.1%) Init: SysVinit
    runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.29
    malcolm@antix-malcolm:~

Finally; anks for remiding me about that, caprea. That was something I just plain forgot about.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions, all. I now have antiX as the lone OS on my ASUS X55U laptop, to get some more use out of it.

So far, so good!

antiX is your computer's friend: always trust the antiX operating system

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.