Trying my hand at a spot of programming

Forum Forums General Software Trying my hand at a spot of programming

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Nov 5-5:01 am by Flamefre.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MynaardtMynaardt

Hi!

I have been taking a computer science course at UVic (University of Victoria on Canada’s (wet) West Coast).
    It’s the first time in 30 years I’ve even looked at programming.

I’m doing it for the best reason of all; I just felt like it! 🙂

It’s also been a good bit of fun so far.

I’m in a class using Python now, so I see that’s included in antiX 19.

But next semester we’ll be doing a course in Java. Any recommendations about what
    packages, if any, I should install on an antiX 19 machine for practising Java programming on?

Looking through the development packages in Synaptic; I see there’s LOTS!

Any recommendations for compilers or interpreters to use would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, All!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Mynaardt.

antiX is your computer's friend: always trust the antiX operating system

Hi,

Great that you are learning and expanding your knowledge. Back in the day when i learned Java. My favorite was to eclipse editor. It has it all, compiling and code errors are easier to find. Which helps in learning. But that was just my preference. I’ve used others but Eclipse is the one I always come back to. Many others like android studio and netbeans are derivatives of Eclipse.

If you want to go lightweight you could use geany and you need to have the jdk package installed on your machine. You can compile and run a java program in the terminal.
    See https://explainjava.com/compile-run-java-linux/

Hope it helps and good luck in programming!
    Flamefre

MynaardtMynaardt

Hi, Flamefre:

Thanks for that. As luck would have it, I have been using Geany. Dead easy to use too.

I’ll check that link to make sure I’ve got Java all ready to use on my machine for next semester.

Any thoughts/insights on making sure I’ve got things set up right and proper for Ruby, Free Pascal, Gnu C, and Gnu C++?

I installed the main Ruby package, but I see there’s zillions Ruby packages. Mostly for Rails.
    I hope that main package is about all I should need for tinkering with Ruby.

Last time I tried my hand at programming, it was in college when most programming was done in
    either Pascal, Modula-2 and C was just becoming more widespread then. That was way, way, way
    back before the last ice age! Well, okay, not THAT long ago, but it has been a while…

Thanks again for the tips…

antiX is your computer's friend: always trust the antiX operating system

Hi Mynaardt,

for C and C++ there is Gcc.

I haven’t done anything with ruby or pascal so no tips on that. Although I have ruby installed to run scripts on my computer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.