[solved] Trying to manually bring up icewm+Rox GUI from base/full on core antiX

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [solved] Trying to manually bring up icewm+Rox GUI from base/full on core antiX

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 2-10:21 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    thatrandomguy

Hello,

I think my question will seem kind of odd and while I do greatly value the hard work put into the many threads and the thread in particular for installing the antiX base, my particular question involves standing up what one would see from (I’m guessing) either base or full versions of antiX—in my case I’m using the core ISO for antiX 19.

Basically, I wanted to give myself the challenge of trying to build the DE or GUI that antiX ships with from using the core image. So far, I think I’ve had good success but I feel like I’m not seeing the whole picture.

I’m able to bring up antiX just fine and I can install x, rox, and icewm. When I do a search via apt, I see some specific packages tied to antiX. My most recent attempt has been installing the antix-base-icewm-antix package (I might have mixed that up) and defaults-desktop-icewm-antix package. I also tried to get the control centre installed as well. To my delight, I am able to manually go through and install and run what makes sense to me.

Thus far, I can bring up icewm just fine and I can enable the pinboard for rox to get the modern “desktop” experience—icons and all. I also got conky running which is nice.

Getting to the point… while I am mostly satisfied with what I’ve been able to bring up thus far, there is really only one thing I am curious about. That thing in particular is the control centre. To elaborate, I am able to run it and I can click through the various menus… however it was only until I installed that base package where it let me open some of them up (i.e. the independent launchers). Incidentally, I cannot get any window or menu to pop up when I click on the Wallpaper setting button. I found a wallpaper-antix package and I assumed that was specifically for the control centre. I installed it but it still won’t open. The work-around I have right now is doing a right-click on the desktop and the rox context menu then gives me an option to change the wallpaper. This would normally work but I am very curious as to what packages I’m missing to get control centre fully up and running.

Does anyone have a clue for the packages I’m missing or perhaps should be installing instead?

TIA

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by christophe.
    marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello thatrandomguy,

Skidoo wrote:

antiX-19.4_x64-base.iso
    list of installed packages: https://pastebin.com/raw/ymEmn1U2

antiX-19.4_x64-full.iso
    list of installed packages: https://pastebin.com/raw/X1PDkw1i

list of packages present in FULL, absent from BASE (397 items): https://pastebin.com/raw/KBsfmEgc

3 pkgs present in base, not in full:
    adwaita-icon-theme-antix (a slimmed-down version of pkg “adwaita-icon-theme”)
    iso-snapshot-cli-antix ( idunno, thought this had already been replaced by pkg “iso-snapshot-antix” )
    libavcodec58 (vs pkgs “libavcodec-extra” + “libavcodec-extra58” in antiX full)

marcelocripe

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

antiX (base/full) has a session-control program that bridges the window managers with other programs, getting them to integrate like a pseudo desktop environment.
    You need the desktop-session-antix package to achieve this.

See this thread related to setting up antiX-core with fluxbox:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/dolphin-oracle-antix-core-custom-install-videos/#post-34881

And here is a more recent thread with antiX-core + icewm, but it doesn’t go into so much details: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/trying-to-add-icewm-to-antix-19-3-core-stuck/

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I’ll be interested in how this all turns out for you. At this time I can’t be of much direct help with your questions. I have been unable to get back to my own project on this subject due to my work schedule. Hopefully I can can back to it soon and I will be pleased to learn how you were able to sort it all out in your own project.

Seaken64

thatrandomguy
    Helpful
    Up

I wanted to edit my original post as I have come to feel that perhaps my title is not appropriate given the question I had was actually very specific.

Incidentally, I was finally able to get the wallpaper editor from the control centre to work after looking at various things.

What I had to do was after copying /etc/skel/.desktop-session to my ~ directory, I had to create a file called desktop-code.0. After scrambling my brain trying to understand why the thing wouldn’t open—and after giving up trying to understand what packages I might have been missing—I finally decided to locate and find the control centre executable. I found it under /usr/share/Applications/antiX. I opened up the desktop file to see that it actually calls antixcc.sh. This let me call the thing from the terminal itself and that is where the magic happened. Clicking on the wallpaper option gave some error codes in the terminal I had open and it complained about that file not being present. I tried to use find to see if there might’ve been a default for this file but I didn’t get anything. I almost gave up with it until I decided to use DuckDuckGo for this one. Incidentally, I managed to find a particular thread in the forums exactly about this very issue already and by @seaken64 no less. One of his posts actually put down the code that was in the file and had I not desperately tried to understand all the different wallpaper config files these past few days, I would not have noticed that the single line of text that is in this desktop-code.0 file is actually identical to the default-desktop file that you can find in the same .desktop-session location. Simply copy/pasting and saving that in my ~/.desktop-session/desktop-code.0 file magically made the wallpaper utility work.

I think it might make sense to delete my thread since the title is kind of redundant thread-wise and my question is technically covered in the forum here:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/wallpaper-tool-not-launching-in-testing-32-bit/#post-58530

Nonetheless, I have to say I am impressed with what’s being offered with antiX. Others might feel different when trying to achieve different outcomes but in my case, because I simply wanted to achieve a minimally functional system that is not necessarily 1:1 identical with the default offering of antiX base/full, I am satisfied with my particular progress and system state.

I think my particular experience with it has been rather positive as I was able to find a lot of the needed packages by simply searching for them via the lucky antix keyword. APT immediately found these guys and (not to gloat) but I was able to find and install what made the system tick before I needed help which I think is pretty impressive from a delivery stand-point as I didn’t really have to dig so hard in the end for packages… it was just understanding how it all came together. It was interesting seeing all the things come together, fail, and then finally work. Kind of like how I needed system-antix (in addition to icewm+Rox) for Firefox to run at all. I will say I don’t know why exactly that is the case, but I was able to figure that out on my own and it was a swell experience. I may have some pieces still broken and other things might not work as expected, but for me this is pretty swell.

I don’t really need all the bits and bolts working when I’m really only going to be using 2-3 apps per a given session. Thank you all for your tips and kudos to the awesome project here. Really cool stuff. Getting Firefox (non-ESR) to work on this thing pretty much gave me the ultimate satisfaction really. To be able to do that on a non-systemd system to me is just pretty friggin’ cool if you ask me but heck—I’ll stop for now.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by thatrandomguy. Reason: typo
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by thatrandomguy. Reason: typo
    thatrandomguy
    Helpful
    Up

I literally just wrote a wall of text and the forum itself says I made a reply but I don’t see it anymore somehow.

Anyway, to make it brief and because I don’t want to write my finding all over again… I basically had to cp and mk a new file desktop-code.0 in ~/.desktop-session which does not exist by default in antiX core. I found that out after checking out various directories and files on my own and eventually stumbling upon a thread in this forum that led me to a clue that only made sense after being able to run antixcc.sh via terminal and discovering that this particular file is what was missing in the first place.

The mentioned thread:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/wallpaper-tool-not-launching-in-testing-32-bit/#post-58530

Anyway, after creating this file and putting in the text it needed, the wallpaper utility worked just fine. I am pleased with this result and I think myself being able to find the needed packages before having needed help speaks volumes on the versatility of the distro. I really only had trouble understanding how it all came together and the experience itself was worth it after having things fail and finally work.

In short, my goal was not really to get a 1:1 with what is seen in antiX base/full but rather to get a minimally functional system albeit with some pieces still missing and or broken. This state is fine with me since I pretty much just wanted to be able to stand up some minor things and call it a day. The real treat was getting Firefox (non-ESR) installed and running on a non-systemd system and it’s only a release behind mind you (which is friggin’ awesome).

Many thanks to the folks who helped and kudos to the awesome project here. Very cool stuff.

If it makes sense to delete my thread because of the redundancies found in my particular thread, please feel free. I can’t seem to find how to mark this as solved so I will leave it to the mods/admins.

Thanks!

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

@thatrandomguy, thanks for reporting back. Glad you had success.

Seaken64

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.