two wicd icons and a rare windows … [solved]

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions two wicd icons and a rare windows … [solved]

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by anticapitalista Nov 6-7:30 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    keos
    keos

Hi,

i installed the system today and i have a window openning all the time that can’t understand what it means (other desktops) and two icons from wicd at the panel.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by keos.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by keos.

Desktop: Xfce

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics
    GPU: AMD/ATI Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Was a md5sum of your iso download check done? I take it this is full install?

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

OK. I just made a live usb for my IBM T23 later on. The reason I show 2 wicd icons in my tray on this live run I am doing now. I had used enable wicd in the usb f key options to turn wicd on. To connect my router. I had to go to control center and open wicd to type in my router password and then connect. Right clicking on one icon on the taskbar and picking quit fixes that.

Of course. I downloaded the read me text file which has all of the md5sum entries for antix 17 in it. I ran md5sum in terminal on this laptop I have the iso on before using the antix to usb in my control center . Ha ha. Just noticed my firefox spell checker only has english great britain spell checker. I run AntiX 15 fully updated on this monster IBM T430 . AntiX has sure changed I see.

demo@antix1:~
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0
               Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2 Distro: antiX-17_386-full Heather Heyer 24 October 2017
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 2347DS2 v: ThinkPad T430 serial: N/A
               Mobo: LENOVO model: 2347DS2 serial: N/A
               UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: G1ET41WW (1.16 ) date: 05/25/2012
    Battery    BAT0: charge: 21.5 Wh 97.7% condition: 22.0/56.2 Wh (39%)
               model: SANYO 45N1001 status: N/A
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3320M (-HT-MCP-) 
               arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 3072 KB
               flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10376
               clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1526 MHz 2: 1757 MHz 3: 1497 MHz 4: 1673 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: vesa Resolution: 1600x900@0.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 256 bits)
               version: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
               driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 5080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]
               driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 322.1GB (1.2% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545032A7 size: 320.1GB
               ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: U3_Cruzer_Micro size: 2.1GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 2.6G used: 26M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3222
    Info:      Processes: 175 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 340.5/3289.7MB
               Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.40 

Now where did I put my PLOP cd? So I can move on to my ancient IBM T23.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo

what it means (other desktops)

antiX “full” edition ships with multiple window managers pre-installed (iceWM, JWM, fluxbox…)
    and
    with 2 “desktop (desktop icon) manager” applications preinstalled (rox, and spaceFM)

We’re free to mix-and-match which of the above we choose to use for our “desktop” (aka “desktop session”).

Because the pre-configured default in antiX is autologin=true, maybe you’ve been whisked past the “login” screen where we’re able to choose
    icewm {—- no desktop mgr, so no desktop icons will be displayed
    rox + icewm
    rox + spacefm
    icewm – min {—- min == “use minimal resources” (do not autostart conky etc.)
    jwm {—- no desktop mgr, so no desktop icons will be displayed
    rox + jwm
    . . .

While logged in, we can ~~ on-the-fly ~~ switch between any of these “desktop sessions”.
    (Some users will never bother to use this functionality. Me, personally, I use it daily.)

Without disturbing the autologin=true setting, you can view the login chooser screen by “Exit–}Logout”.
    Whichever “desktop session” you choose via the login screen, you last-used choice is remembered.
    At next boot, if autologin=true, this last-used “desktop” will be autostarted without prompting you to login first.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by skidoo.
    skidoo

It’s not quite a been a FAQ, but several new-to-antiX users have mentioned
    “Why present me with an overwhelming number of choices, stuff I don’t need to ever use?”
    and, locally, I’ve been asked to explain “Why would anyone ever use that “change desktops” feature?”

Optionally, any given autostarting application can assigned (specified) _only_ for fluxbox, or only for icewm.
    Most of my time is spent in fluxbox (no rox or spacefm painting icons on my desktop).
    Blah. Usually no fluxbox wallpaper. MANY autostarted helper apps…

I might switch to “min-fluxbox” whenever I’m running on a low-spec machine and plan to run a computationally-intensive program (even video playback, in browser)…

and switch to “rox-spacefm” when I want to drag stuff (shortcuts) onto the desktop ~~ serves as a dumping ground, reminding me which TODO items are open for various projects…

and switch to “space+fluxbox” when {seldom} I want to drag (or create) actual files on/in the desktop.
    ^— rox and spacefm “desktop” contents are separate, are stored to different contexts.

v— In practice, the habit of desktop switching (and NOT just using antiX on low-spec machines) has worked well for me
    yah

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by skidoo.
    Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

i installed the system today and i have a window openning all the time that can’t understand what it means (other desktops)

The “other desktops” window was supposed to open up when you switched to a window manager that you had installed to provide you a path back to the pre-installed window managers. But since we’ve added the “other desktops” application to the applications menu, there is no need to have the “other desktops” window pop up.

It’s possible something else is going on.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

skidoo

The “other desktops” window was supposed to open up when you switched to a window manager that you had installed

Wow, I can’t recall ever seeing that. Was it added (a popup window) recently?
    ( I haven’t played with installing extra windows managers since ??? idunno. January?)

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

Yes, it was added very recently, late in the antiX-17 cycle. The code had been around for a while but hadn’t been included. The popup window should be the same as what you get with the “Other Desktops” entry in the applications menu. It has the same functionality as the Desktop –> “Other Desktops” menu.

The reason we included it in the applications menu (and the reason we had the original pop up) was that desktop session is smart enough to let you switch to a newly installed WM but since the new WM only has a stock root desktop menu, there was no way to get back to other WMs because there was no “Other Desktops” menu. There were a number of complaints about this.

The only hook we have into other WMs is via the applications menu. So by adding an “Other Desktops” entry there, we let people get back. The popup menu was our first stab at providing a way back from other WMs. So now (if everything is hooked up correctly) when someone installs a WM then it gets seamlessly integrated into desktop session, it’s added to the list of “other desktops” and so forth. Well, at least for most WMs.

keos
    keos
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by keos.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by fatmac.

keos
    keos

i don’t know how to add a capture at this forum.

It is a window with many different desktop options — it doesn’t matter what you do in order to eliminate such a window it is coming back again and again.

I don’t know what else to say about the doble wicd icons.

Of course it is a full installation.

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

I’ve attached a screen shot of the “other desktops” program. Is this what you are having trouble with?

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

If that is the window you don’t like, have you tried using the “Hide” button?

keos
    keos

yes, it is the window that i don’t like, and, yes i try to ‘hide’ … but it doesn’t work — if at least it were possible to know the name of this aplication we can remove it from synaptic. Thanks.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

For that to keep popping up, you must be logging in with herbstluftwm or a desktop/wm you have installed (if so which one), or as root user (don’t).
    To stop it, make this file non-executable /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-menu-window.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

keos
    keos

I did it as root and it works!. Tanks!!.

Iḿ still trying to find information from google about the problem with the two icons but nothing that can help me, just things like this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/364717/two-wifi-icons-in-panel or this in archbang: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=1242 but i can’t see any “autostart” here, there shoul be somethig similar but … thanks for any idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.