uBlock Origin is must for Firefox.

Forum Forums antiX-development Documentation uBlock Origin is must for Firefox.

• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jul 26-6:20 pm by andyprough.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bajingan

I think it should be bundled in Firefox.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Bajingan.
    seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I think I am probably in general agreement with you but please expand the topic. Under what circumstances do you use uBlock origin? What is the difference when using Firefox without it?

Seaken64

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

U-block origin uses more CPU than you would think. It is not ideal for low powered computers. It is better to use the Adblock program in antiX to blacklist problematic IPs and also no-script to make web experience lighter.
    You can always install ublock origin if needed with
    sudo apt install webext-ublock-origin
    Which should install it and enable it for all firefox and chromium based browsers (I think).

EDIT: A merge request was created for advert-block-antix, which would include “more listing options”, but that breaks translations. If anyone is interested, they can take a look at the proposed changes (not mine).

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Personally, I have had good results using the antiX ad-blocker and No-Script. But I do this with old and obsolete machines (P-II or P-III with 256M-512M RAM). I have used uBlock Origin on some of my “newer” machines that are not so restricted in resources (Core2-Duo or Dual-Core Pentiums with 1GB or more of RAM).

Seaken64

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

xecure wrote: U-block origin uses more CPU than you would think. It is not ideal for low powered computers.
    It is better to use the Adblock program in antiX to blacklist problematic IPs and also no-script to make web
    experience lighter.

Totaly agree. I use antiX ad blocking, hosts list with many additions.
    No script with restrictive settings in all browsers, Same setup goes to all supported users.
    u Block Origin was nowhere nearly as effective and somewhat more heavy on rescources. Machines from users are laptop
    and desktop from P4 to i7, my main box i5 quad. Many inline ads are seemingly non blockable, I often
    block the delivery sites but they seem to have near endless delivery adresses.

I pay a high price for limited bandwidth, not for being served endless crappy ads many of which are from google.
    A CIA founded Billion dollar netting tracking company.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

I use yahoo mail for my personal email. With the built-in AntiX adblock, I still get ads in yahoo mail. When I use UBlock Origin, I do not get any ads. I use UBlock origin for Chromium and FF-ESR. There is a legacy UBlock origin that I use for both Palemoon and SeaMonkey.

If Ublock origin gets bundled for FF-ESR, can the UBlock Origin legacy also be bundled with SeaMonkey?

This is a great topic for me because I use UBlock origin always with Chromium, FF-ESR, Palemoon, and Seamonkey.
    Thanks.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

In the spirit of “lean” I would prefer nothing get’s added by default. But I am not against uBlock Origin or NoScript and I use them. I just think the user should decide. Some users like uBlock Origin and others NoScript, or some other technique.

Seaken64

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

In the spirit of “lean” I would prefer nothing get’s added by default. But I am not against uBlock Origin or NoScript and I use them. I just think the user should decide. Some users like uBlock Origin and others NoScript, or some other technique.

Seaken64

I agree. It takes very little to add this yourself.

Perhaps a ‘tips & tricks’ writeup would be more in order. And/or in the antiX wiki.

Not only is it a matter of choice, but also a matter of learning something, in my opinion.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I take a stronger stance on this matter. Being able to use Ublock Origin, AdBlock Plus, antiX Noscript, or any other alternative, with or without personal customization are options that each person should have the right to make, but not mandate for others.

I advocate including none of these alternatives. Instead, discussing them, trying them and sharing experiences may be helpful, without requiring anyone to install or include any specific tool or utility by default.

We offer multiple browsers and other tools, and even provide various environments, some of which include tools and applications, and others that omit them; to me, these are preferable methods, at least for this type of distribution.

Brian Masinick

blur13
    Helpful
    Up

Where do I find more info on antix adblock and no-script? I find FF unbearably slow since it loads so many scripts, sounds like this might make it faster.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Where do I find more info on antix adblock

You can launch it from
    Control Centre > Network > Adblock

If you want to see the source, you can visit the gitlab repo.

On noscript, it is a browser extension available in most browser “add-ons store”.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

I usually try to package ublock with the web browser in my respins. I think it is a minimal level of privacy and security that every distro should consider using by default. Users can simply disable it or uninstall it if they prefer to use some other method. With it installed, then it is working out of the box on a live USB, and the live USB user doesn’t have to fiddle with additional privacy or security settings before doing a couple of routine internet searches.

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

Also, LibreWolf ships with Ublock Origin by default, and I think that’s a good point of reference, as my testing shows LibreWolf to be a substantially superior browser to Firefox.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.