[solved] Understanding home persistence

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [solved] Understanding home persistence

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Oct 30-9:13 pm by haertig.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    haertig

I believe I understand root persistence. It operates as I expect, based on my choice when I set it up I am prompted to save root persistence when I shutdown the system.

But home persistence, while set up, does not prompt me to save. Does it automatically save? When does it save (only at shutdown, or at other times when the system is running?) Do I have any control over when home persistence saves?

FWIW, I am running a frugal install, booting with frugal_persist.

I may sometimes boot with frugal_only, with my goal there being that nothing persists – not root, and not home. Am I correct in assuming frugal_only operates in this manner?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added solved
      haertig

Well, I did learn one thing on my own … I was booting with frugal_persist and I attempted to upgrade to antiX 22 (was running 21). Ran “apt update; apt dist-upgrade”. The dist-upgrade failed. So I thought this was a marvelous time to reboot and tell the system “no” when it prompts to start the root persistence. After reboot, all appears well, but I do have something from home that got persisted. I had added a bookmark to my web browser (for this forum as a matter of fact!) So home does indeed appear to persist automatically, but I still don’t know WHEN that write to persist storage happened. Was it when I rebooted? Or had it written sometime before that, while the system was running in normal user mode?

christophe

The frugal_persist bootcode will act like persist_all, which is to say, “everything is saved under / in ram until you choose to save it (or you can choose to not save any of it), with the exception of everything under /home/demo, which is saved immediately to your home persistnce file.”

To make sure nothing is saved except when/if you choose, then run your antiX with the frugal_root bootcode instead of frugal_persist. This mode will keep everything from / on down, in ram, until/unless you save it.

In the same way, use frugal_home to ONLY save the /home/demo data (like browser shortcuts, documents, etc.). Also frugal_static will save everything from / on down, immediately, if that’s what you want. And frugal_only will not save anything across reboots.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

haertig

Thanks for the reply @christophe.

What I gleaned from your reply by reading between the lines, is that if you choose one of the options that persists home, then home will be saved immediately (probably multiple times) as you are running the live system. You do NOT have the option at shutdown to tell the system not to save home, like you do when you persist root using the semi-automatic mode.

I see the value in immediate saves for home – hopefully that would prevent you from losing data if your system crashes. But there are times when I envision myself not wanting this. There are times when I might take the risk of losing home in a crash, and want home saved only on command. But I don’t see any way to defer saving home until shutdown like you can saving root. Apparently home always saves immediately (assuming it’s set to be saved in the first place). i.e., Home persistence is always “static”, and never held in ram.

I think I understand home persistence now. It’s just not exactly like I would prefer. I would prefer home persistence to have the same options available as root persistence.

christophe

You are right. The only way to hold the home persistence in ram is when running like this:

To make sure nothing is saved except when/if you choose, then run your antiX with the frugal_root bootcode instead of frugal_persist. This mode will keep everything from / on down, in ram, until/unless you save it.

But then, everything (from / on down) would get either saved or discarded — no choosing between the two; always both (root & home together) or neither.

christophe

Alternatively, some people here on the forum like to remaster their live antiX system, and run it without any persistence.

I recommend remastering every so often; the frequency depends on your amount of ram — since the root persistence file contents are loaded back into ram at each boot (and you need ram for regular “computer ram” uses).

But anyway, they run antiX this way: They get it set up just perfectly for them, and then remaster. On reboot, they run it as frugal_only (or from usb without persistence).

Then, during daily use, if there is ever any additions they want to make, (e.g., upgrades, additions, etc.) then they remaster their system again prior to shutdown. This then incorporates any running changes, saving the state of their system.

In addition, there is a special folder in your home directory named ‘Live-usb-storage’ — any files placed there are saved, regardless of whether any persistence is running or not. It’s especially good for large files (or any files at all, if you are not running any persistence).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by christophe. Reason: added Live-usb-stoarge mention

haertig

Thanks! I think you have gotten me all straightened out and set up now.

For daily use, where I want antiX to act like a traditional operating system installation, I will use frugal_static. Frugal_persist would be a reasonable alternative.

If I know absolutely that I will not be wanting to save anything, I will use frugal_only. Knowing that if push comes to shove, I could still manually save things in Live-usb-storage. To cover this “push comes to shove” case during the last month where I’ve been learning antiX, I have written data to a separate thumbdrive, emailed it to myself, or just written to /live/boot-dev which is already mounted … which is also where Live-usb-storage lives – but I initially didn’t know the use for Live-usb-storage. I thought it was a system thing, not a user thing, so I avoided it even though it was mounted in my home directory. But now I know it’s intended use.

For other situations, I will use frugal_root in semi-automatic mode, and (optionally) Live-usb-storage. This gives me a runtime choice (as opposed to boot time choice) of whether I want to save stuff or not (albeit, saving files from home is more cumbersome this way, but the functionality is there).

This works!

Thanks!

p.s. – I see no way to flag this thread as “solved”, nor to edit the thread title to “solved”. I only appear to be able to edit my more recent posts (what I’m doing right now typing this p.s.) I can’t edit my original post (maybe it’s a time limit thing). I guess that’s the way these forums were set up.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by haertig.
                  • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by haertig.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.