Unix vs Linux: The history of how Unix started and influenced Linux

Forum Forums General Other Distros Unix vs Linux: The history of how Unix started and influenced Linux

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Nov 16-4:05 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

subtitle:
    Many of the commands in 1972’s Unix 2nd edition are still used in today’s Linux. Learn how Unix started and how it’s changed over time.

Posted: November 11, 2022 | %t min read |
    by
    Jim Hall

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/unix-linux-history?sc_cid=7013a0000034WxfAAE

Brian Masinick

oops
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Yeah, at one point I am pretty sure I read these too; thanks for sharing them; each perspective is a good reminder of the events that have resulted in what we freely use today!

Brian Masinick

oops
    Helpful
    Up

… Yes, the history is interesting too.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you both for the history and a great chart with timeline…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
    https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

techore
    Helpful
    Up

Neat! The diagram is new to me.

I started on VMS and was only introduced to unices in the mid-90’s. I sort of feel like I missed out on the early unix experience with my time on VMS.

Thank you for sharing.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@techore: Very interesting!

I actually received my initial UNIX experience after 2-3 years on the job; first in 1982.

I got my job at Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) in 1985 based on my telephony background, and then learned VAX/VMS at Digital.

I then led a project to improve interoperability between VMS and UNIX and it was at Digital when I met Jon (maddog) Hall. He and I ate many bags of popcorn and discussed BSD, System V and later Linux.

When I eventually left Digital I invited my own select group of people to an off site non company function and Jon was one of the people who I invited. Every now and then I see something he’s written and remember our many times and memories.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: ate
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.