unsorted questions

Forum Forums General Software unsorted questions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by eltuno Aug 30-5:29 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    eltuno

Hi all

I have various general questions about MX/antiX, especially about live usb, maybe you could answer some of them :

1) I’d like to know if there’s danger in plugging the same key to different PCs. Is there a chance of breaking something in the live system or is it totally safe ?

2) Do I need to do a remaster before making a snapshot ? cause that’s what I do usually.

3) What is the difference between persist_all and persist_root ? Why would you choose one over the other ? I’ve always used persist root so far, I’m curious to know about the other option.

4) How can I tell if a package from antix or mx repos is free before installing it. As for debian packages I know you get 100% free software from the main repo, and you’d better stay away from non-free and contrib repos. There is the vrms command to check installed packages too, but I guess it doesn’t apply to packages you install from other sources.

thx 🙂

Jesse
    Jesse

I can’t answer all of your questions, but I think I can help with a couple.

1) There should be no issues using the live-usb on multiple systems. That is one of the main benefits of the persistent usb system; you can carry your OS in your pocket and use it with any (well, almost any) computer you encounter. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem would be some settings for specific hardware (video card settings, etc.), but that is just something you might have to tweak as you move from system to system.

3 (and maybe a bit of 2) http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/persistence.html

the basic persistence differences:

1. the non-static versions load the rootfs persistence file into ram at boot. this is faster in operation at the tradeoff of a minor hit at boot time and shutdown.
    2. with rootfs in ram, the changes during a session (like installing packages) are sync’d back to the rootfs at the end of the session in automatic or semi-auto mode.
    3. there is also a manual save mode
    4. while having the rootfs persistence file loading into ram is faster in operation, you do have to have the ram to support it.

5. static versions run with the rootfs mounted off the usb stick.
    6. changes to the root file system (like installing packages) are recorded as the happen, just like a standard installed partition.
    7. since the root filesystem is not loaded into ram, static modes can be friendlier for ram-strapped machines.

8. “to ram” boot option actually loads the linuxfs file into ram. this is the basic file system supplied by either the released isos or by a remastered or snapshot system.
    9. to fully load a root filesystem into ram, you need to use the non-static persistence options plus “toram”.

10. the homefs persistence file, if created, is always mounted statically.

11. the remaster system can combine the rootfs peristence file back into the linuxfs base file, creating a new linuxfs file. this is especially usefull after an initial flurry of installing packages and updates, as you get to make a new blank rootfs filesystem after that.

12. I’ve heard the default kernels aren’t too bad these days in terms of latency. you can use live-kernel-updater to update your live usb to another kernel if you wish. I’ve got antiX videos on this, and its identical on MX.

4) this one I’m not sure.

Someone more knowledgeable on these matters will likely swoop in and lay down the facts in case I am mistaken.

rainydayshirts.bandcamp.com | Audio
    rainydayshirts.deviantart.com | Visual

eltuno

Hi Jesse!

You’ve fully answered the first question, thx for that 🙂

I’m still not sure about 2) and 3)

About 3) I guess that since persist_all has a separate home folder, it should be mounted statically (according to the point 10 above) but it still needs confirmation.

Well I guess I’ll have to test it someday to be really sure.

As for question 4, I’ve just created a new topic cause it’s too important to be left unanswered.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.