update command broke my source list somehow

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions update command broke my source list somehow

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by md4 Aug 12-11:02 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    md4

Hi i’m a newbie using Antix updated in terminal and ran dist upgrade in 19.1 and got stuck permanently on the grub blue update box question asking for yes or no within a revolving loop. Initally i clicked yes when nothing happened then i clicked no and still i ended up stuck in the window so i pulled the power cable in frustration. This somehow broke up my source list. Later on i got frustrated with not being able to update my source list and i think i need to reset my file manager back to its default setting.
    At the moment i’m getting a 404 message in terminal. I would like to learn how i can break through using sudo and the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list at the moment i get permission denied have tried su already. Have tried all the sudo commands using clean autoremove update and dist-upgrade twice with no joy.

inxi -r result:

Ign:1 http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/antixbuster buster InRelease
    Err:2 http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/antixbuster buster Release
    404 Not Found [IP: 83.170.94.3 80]
    Hit:3 http://ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian buster-updates InRelease
    Hit:4 http://ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian buster InRelease
    Hit:5 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease
    Reading package lists… Done
    E: The repository ‘http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/antixbuster buster Release’ does not have a Release file.
    N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by md4.
    Xecure
    Xecure

First, there still is no 19.1, just a BETA, and some errors are to be expected.
    Second, did you discard you antiX 17.4 installation and decided to install 19b1? If you are a newbie, I really recommend you stay with antiX 17.4 until the official release of 19.

Hi i’m a newbie using Antix updated in terminal and ran dist upgrade in 19.1 and got stuck permanently on the grub blue update box question asking for yes or no within a revolving loop.

A screenshot would be good. I cannot recall any blue box. What are you saying about grub? I think more information is needed.

and i think i need to reset my file manager back to its default setting.

Which is the file manager you are using? ROX or SpaceFM?

I would like to learn how i can break through using sudo and the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list at the moment i get permission denied have tried su already.

A quick search of “antix.list” using the forum search function proved that you are not the only one with repo problems on the beta (I had them too), and I have posted already how to reach and edit the antix.list file in the most simple and easy way.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-b1-full-64-and-32-bit-available/page/11/#post-23706

Please, for the future, try to provide a screenshot when it is difficult to describe the problem. Also a bit more detail on the steps followed could help us help you. You could even give us more info of your system with inxi -Fxzr
    Finally, use the forum search first just in case someone else has experienced a similar problem. That way you will avoid the waiting for someone to answer back.

md4

The grub update ended up showing a blue box with yes or no as a question i pressed yes then i realised it was stuck in a loop so i pulled the power plug, maybe i should have waited longer. The sources list just shows error 404 on one of the lines? How do you edit it?
    Later I clicked a permission entry in my admin account file manager leaving my files exposed permanently. Do they go back to a default setting after a while? Not sure which editor i used — just saw the permissions tab on the right hand side.
    Thanks for your help.
    p.s going away for the weekend will look in after that.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by md4.
    linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hi md4,

The repo line is mistyped as I mentioned in the 19b1 thread.

http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/antixbuster buster InRelease
    the line was like this.
    In the terminal type
    sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
    and change it to read
    http://mxlinux.mirrors.uk2.net/packages/antix/buster buster
    still have buster listed after it like before
    The line is missing the “/” between antix and buster.
    after changing the list file save it then run
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    in a terminal and it should go through.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: fix link

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

md4

Hi have reinstalled everything again because for some odd reason later on i got completely locked out of my computer. Both passwords failed on login and when this happened i noticed then my inputted letter italics were changing from light to a very dark bold if that gives you clue to what happened. No way was it a typo i doubled checked everything.
    On the new install i have checked the source list line and it is completely OK from the start exactly as you mentioned with the / between the two words.
    Right now i feel apprehensive to whether i should update anything without speaking to someone first– i have used an 19.1 ISO CD image. I noticed there are source lines mentioning testing?
    Do you think i should update my kernels first before touching anything else?
    Lastly is the update button in the toolbar supposed to work?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I think you should wait until antiX-19 is released as stable and you should not not use a beta version.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

md4

Just wanted to get the source lines right. Thanks for your help.

Xecure
    Xecure

Hi, md4.

Right now i feel apprehensive to whether i should update anything without speaking to someone first– i have used an 19.1 ISO CD image.

antixapitalista’s advice is sound, and there was no bad will intended. A beta release is not a perfect release, and you will encounter unexpected and new problems. If you are new to antiX, you will find many problems that you will not know how to solve, and you will waste a lot of precious time trying to fix them. It is better for anyone new to antiX to use a stable version (like antiX-17.4) to familiarize themselves with its inner workings and have things working. But if you want to use the beta, go ahead, but expect to encounter trouble and you may NOT be able to upgrade to the final release, so know that this beta installation may only be temporary.

Just wanted to get the source lines right.

linuxdaddy already explained how to solve this (but now that you have reinstalled, this no longer applies). This problem is not present in antiX 17.4, but if you are in antiX 19 just don’t change the repo with repo manager.

Right now i feel apprehensive to whether i should update anything without speaking to someone first– i have used an 19.1 ISO CD image. I noticed there are source lines mentioning testing?

You can update and install stuff with any of the methods antiX offers (READ my answer to you in your other post), just don’t change your repos, as you may encounter the same problems again.

Do you think i should update my kernels first before touching anything else?

If you update the kernels, use antiX Package Installer from the Control Center or the cli antiX installer (if you know how to navigate this).
    sudo cli-aptiX

Lastly is the update button in the toolbar supposed to work?

Again, if you had read my answer in your previous post you could have learnt what that menu option does. I will quote:

Update antiX's Applications Menu
    This menu entry updates the menu when you install a program outside of Synaptic or the antiX Package Installer.

So, it does NOT launch any package installer, but only updates the Applications submenu in your menu, for the cases you install a .deb or compile your own app. This is not necessary for apps installed using Synaptic Package Manager or antiX Package Installer.

Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: Fixing text
    md4

Hi the result of trying sudo cli-aptiX was I’m missing a list file. I tried sudo update which did’nt help. I do not have synaptic working at all. From terminal – synaptic gives 15450 dbind warning 13.12.02.152. Somethings updated but not all. At least i’m able to login. Wish i knew how to update the three kernels mentioned on the web site? They are not mentioned in the package installer its really odd???.

skidoo

md4, reinstall antiX 17.4 and avoid using the problematic (for you) 19.x BETA version.

After you reinstall, as noted in the announcements
    you may want/need to apply the EXPKEYSIG fix
    and select a repository mirror.

Xecure
    Xecure

At least i’m able to login.

Are you loging in to a graphic environment? Or are you only able to see the terminal?

I tried sudo update which did’nt help.

Well, sudo update will not help you, but only
    sudo apt-get update
    If you get an error, please paste it here as it is displayed in the terminal if you want help solving it.

I do not have synaptic working at all. From terminal – synaptic gives 15450 dbind warning 13.12.02.152.

If you are in a graphical environment, after executing “synaptic” in terminal, you should have gotten a window pop up explaining you are executing synaptic without administrative privileges. If you read this hint you know something went wrong. You called for the application without the proper priviliges.
    synaptic without sudo error
    You need to use sudo in the terminal:
    sudo synaptic
    If you are not proficient enough with the terminal and you have access to a graphical environment, please use the menu and Control center. You can follow my previous indications and use the path from the Control Center to access synaptic.
    Control Center > System > Manage packages

md4

Hi thanks for your answer and patience. Yes i did originally use sudo apt-get update but shortened it for ease in a recent post. I will try sudo synaptic and get back to you thanks once again.
    I think what may of happened is that i have been offered an update for my system login and should have excepted the DEFAULT option but i was impatient and clicked yes to the upgrade.
    So i’m the one to blame i guess i’ve got to use to the Mint system.
    I was informed that if i wanted to progress further with upgrades i would have to install the new latest grub 2…20 which i was unable to complete. What i saw was a blue grub update configuration box which gave me two option’s either to click into my sda partition or the sda2. All i ended up with after playing with the (yes to sda) and then the no options was a rotating line in the terminal — 1-27End so i had to switch off the power mains and reboot. Later on i tried the command to sort it out dpkg –configure -a which seemed to work and after that i reinstalled my grub just to make sure i could restart OK.
    Hope i haven’t caused too much damage.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by md4.
    md4

Hi i used sudo apt-get update not the shorter version. Tried sudo synaptic and still get various dbus errors messages and all my options have white crosses on them on a brown background.
    When i choose to upgrade 99 new packages like the login window etc i think i should have chosen the default ones! not the packaged ones.
    Noticed in my crypto settings on boot up have NS delegate added to it is that correct?
    During the upgrades got as far as the blue grub configuration menu offering me a simple yes or no to install to sda or sda2 which failed to work or let me choose an option so in the end i clicked no and ended up in a loop mentioning the lines 1-27End? After that i just pulled the power cable out and restarted my comp. Then i fixed dpkg and reinstalled grub 2
    I don’t know why i cannot get to access the three new kernels easily to complete everything it is so weird?
    How do you use the firewall i am not familar with it’s use when using a web browser? outgoing is OK but incoming is blocked so is my access to the internet is that correct?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by md4.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by md4.
    md4

Still get from : $ sudo cli-aptiX
    Checking source files …
    It appears that at least one list file is missing
    You should probably run apt-get update now
    After i run yes to update it makes no difference. Where can i locate the missing file?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by md4.
    linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hi md4,

Can you post a shot of
    inxi -vr
    Here’s the output of mine to check out but your mirror
    will be different. That way others know what the repos
    you have are and to help.

Attachments:

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.