Upgrade to 17 and system shut down from desktop

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Upgrade to 17 and system shut down from desktop

• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 1-1:52 pm by caprea.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Budgie

Real beginner here with 32 bit antiX on laptop. I thought I had upgraded using:-

sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

but when I boot the first line on console states *antix 16.2. How do I get to 17?

I think I am using IceWM. No idea how to confirm. Whatever it is I cannot logout or shut down using the menu items. The only way I can shut down is using sudo shutdown now.

Please forgive the poorly presented post. Still trying to get used to this forum.
      Budgie

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Post output of inxi -r (It will show us your sources list)

This thread may be of use.

can-antix-16-be-upgrade-to-antix17

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Budgie

Hi, been on other machines and just returned to this, an old IBM T42 laptop (32bit). In the end I just did a fresh install of Antix 17 and am now familiarising myself with it.
          A couple of questions:-
          When I boot into antix there is no default desktop. I must select from menu after right click on screen. Can I set a default and how please?

The machine will not reboot or shutdown if I use the Menu>Logout>Reboot or Shutdown. What should I do to get these to work please?
          Budgie

Forum Admin
          Dave

If you right click and a menu comes up you are already at a desktop (which should have been rox-icewm)… and any desktop session you pick from the menu should be the “default” next boot.

Rather than going into the logout menu, click menu -> logout. This should open a exit window to choose shutdown, reboot, logout, suspend, and restart session.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Budgie

Hi and many thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the desktop, I would feel more comfortable if the Debian Start button and task panel were there right from the start but on each reboot I have to select rox-icewm after right clicking on screen. I then get what I want.

Regarding shutdown I get all the choices you mention but selecting reboot or shutdown has no effect, unless I am supposed to wait more than five minutes!
              I shall persevere.
              Thanks again,
              Budge

Anonymous

I would feel more comfortable if the Debian Start button and task panel were there right from the start
                but on each reboot I have to select rox-icewm after right clicking on screen. I then get what I want.

Well, the StartButton would be labeled “antiX” (not Debian) but, yes, post-install, that should have been immediately present.
                (this has been thoroughly field-tested by many betatesters)

When I boot into antix there is no default desktop. I must select from menu after right click on screen

“I must select it” ~~ apparently you did so, perhaps experimenting… and a “no icons present on desktop” wound up preserved as your last-chosen (your new default) desktop environment.
                Another possiblity: you selected something other than rox+icewm way back during the liveboot boot menu… and that choice wound up being applied as the default when you installed.

Rather than going into the logout menu, click menu -> logout.

^—— Did you do this? When you do this, what is the result?

If you reach a popup offering choices (logout, suspend, hibernate, shutdown, order pizza…) choose Logout
                Doing so will bring you to the SLiM (slim login manager) login screen, where you will have opportunity to choose rox+icewm.
                Later, following shutdown/reboot, you can expect this last-used choice will be preserved, auto-logging you into a rox+icewm desktop.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Can you show us a picture of your desktop’? Seems like something is badly wrong.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Budgie

Can you show us a picture of your desktop’? Seems like something is badly wrong.

Hi and thanks. Before I waste more of your time I think I should try a new installation. I am sure the download was OK as I used the hash check but I created a full system which had to go on a DVD. I shall now look at a smaller install version and build on that. My preferred mode of installation however is by network install with just a small seed package from disc. Is there such an option with Antix?

Budgie

Well I found the network install, downloaded using md5 checksum etc., burnt CD and ran it with laptop connected to lan.
                      What I hadn’t appreciated was that it was only a cli install. Anyhow I proceeded, answering all the questions as intelligently as I could. Only two problems. I selected my existing /home partition and used my existing user name. A notice came up to tell me that that users directory must exist in /home, which it does, but then installation wording for request for passwords suggested I was creating a new user.

Installation proceeded to completion but the cleaning up at the end didn’t finish.
                      After waiting a good while I forced a hardware reboot and logged in with my normal user name but this failed to take me to my existing home directory but to an empty one.

Booted a live CD to check I had not lost everything, which I hadn’t but have no idea how to correct the situation when running the newly installed system.
                      Finally I suspect I have the core system only. It would be good to get the Rox-IceWM back and some other stuff. Perhaps after I can boot and get my old directory back.
                      Grateful for some more guidance please when somebody has time.
                      Budge

Forum Admin
                      Dave

What is the output of ls /home?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Anonymous

Real beginner here… DVD… netinstall

welp, I held my breath (and my tongue) when you asked about netinstall b/c its use is intended for expert users.
                          …and, I suspect, adding LiveCD/DVD into the scenario (vs LiveUSB) could further increase the “frustration factor” of crafting a from-netinstall respin.

Grateful for some more guidance

netinstall provides a base, a starting point. An expert would have a goal, a plan & would realize what various packages must be required in order to achieve the goal.

My suggestion for you is to work from a machine that supports LiveUSB. Start will the “full” version of antiX and strip/uninstall what packages you decide you will not need ~~ and utilize live peristence, so that you’re not relegated to “(discovering and) removing everything that can/should be removed — all within a single boot session. When your tailor-made goal is achieved, use “snapshot” or “live-usb-maker::clone running system” to create a CD/DVD (presumably for use on your older machines which do not support LiveUSB boot).

caprea

You can download the antiX-17_386-base.iso, it fits on a CD.
                            The only thing you will miss are the libre-office packages, which are easily installed afterwards with package-installer.

Anonymous

If this list is up-to-date, the following debian packages are present in “antiX17 full version” and absent in the “base” version:

( for convenience of “lookup“, each link here should open in a new tab, displaying the relevant package description page at packages.debian.org )

acl, acpi, acpi-support, apt-show-versions, aspell, aspell-en, asunder, avahi-utils,
                              bittorrent, bluetooth, bluez, cclive, cdparanoia, cherrytree,
                              claws-mail, claws-mail-i18n, claws-mail-pdf-viewer, claws-mail-pgpinline, claws-mail-pgpmime, claws-mail-tools,
                              cups-client, cups-common, cups-core-drivers, cups-filters, cups-ppdc, dc3dd, dcfldd, dkms, dosbox,
                              e3, ethtool, evince-gtk, gcc, gcolor2, ghostscript, gsettings-desktop-schemas, gsfonts, gsfonts-x11, gtkam,
                              gufw-legacy, guvcview, gweled, hexchat, html2text, irqbalance, iso-codes, keyutils, libavcodec-extra, libgpod-common,
                              libreoffice-calc, libreoffice-gtk, libreoffice-impress, libreoffice-math, libreoffice-writer,
                              lp-solve, lua-filesystem, luckybackup, luckybackup-data, mpg123, mpg321,
                              myspell-ca, myspell-de-de, myspell-el-gr, myspell-en-gb, myspell-es, myspell-fr, myspell-nl, myspell-pl, myspell-pt-br,
                              network-config, notify-osd, numlockx, openssh-server, p7zip-full,
                              printer-driver-brlaser, printer-driver-c2050, printer-driver-c2esp, printer-driver-cjet, printer-driver-cups-pdf, printer-driver-dymo,
                              printer-driver-escpr, printer-driver-foo2zjs, printer-driver-foo2zjs-common, printer-driver-gutenprint, printer-driver-hpcups,
                              printer-driver-hpijs, printer-driver-m2300w, printer-driver-min12xxw, printer-driver-pnm2ppa, printer-driver-postscript-hp,
                              printer-driver-ptouch, printer-driver-pxljr, printer-driver-sag-gdi, printer-driver-splix,
                              pv, radeontool, rfkill, sane-utils, simple-scan, spawn-fcgi, ssl-cert, streamripper, streamtuner2, synaptic,
                              system-config-printer, system-config-printer-udev, transmission, transmission-cli, transmission-common, transmission-gtk,
                              unclutter, uno-libs3, ure, uvcdynctrl, uvcdynctrl-data, wamerican, wavpack,
                              wicd, wicd-curses, wicd-daemon, wicd-gtk, winff, winff-doc, xclip, xfce-keyboard-shortcuts, xfconf

^— Determining which, among all those, I’ll regret not having on my customized system… is a time-consuming challenge.
                              Because it’s unreasonable to expect anyone who has a spouse, a job, kids, and a cat (basically “has a life”)
                              to wade through all that, I advocate the more expedient approach ~~ starting with “full version, and whittling away”

Budgie

Hi skidoo and caprea,
                                Many thanks for replies which make good sense. The reason I thought I would try the net installation was that full DVD installation failed and it is possible I have a hardware fault with DVD drive. I have had no problems with using net installation with openSUSE, my usual OS and generally prefer it as a method.

One can only plan when one has an idea what to expect and the quickest way to find out is try it. In fact everything went well except that the installation failed to pick up my old /home/budge directory and I note from the starting log that the radeon graphics driver failed to load. Both these failings seem like faults to me, either minor bugs or possibly need for slightly fuller explanation prompts.

I am reading and learning as I move slowly forward and thought I would try some of the suggested command line commands such as cli-aptiX which is updating 20 odd files as I type (on main machine) and works a treat. However I now appreciate the advice that subtraction from complete set is preferable to building from bottom up as the latter even with a plan will take an age. If the base CD fails and I have not finished the installation before the New Year then I think I shall bin the machine as I cannot afford the time.

Thanks again.

Brian Masinick

Hi Budgie!

It can be difficult, especially when you are just starting out to digest the many potential issues that can arise. If your hardware is particularly old, that only further complicates BOTH hardware AND software configuration issues and learning how to solve issues through a process of elimination. Those of us who have been doing this for years often get a good idea of what to try first, but we have the benefit of time and practice, and also hands on with the systems we are working with.

Not sure if finances are an issue, but one thought I had was to consider obtaining media that has been verified to work. Osdisc,com is one of several vendors I’ve used over the years when I don’t have the time to download and test an image myself, and when I have the financial resources, I like to support distributions and suppliers, so if you are able to do so, going to http://www.osdisc.com/products?q=antiX+17 will show you one other option to consider- obtaining a download that has been put on various media sources and distributed – DVD images start @ $5.95 plus shipping. Flash (USB) drives start @14.95. Perhaps that is something to consider to determine if it’s media hardware or download quality that is affecting your attempts to install.

You can contact me privately if you wish and I can discuss it with you.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.