Upgrading antiX-17 to antiX-19

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Upgrading antiX-17 to antiX-19

• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Mar 17-10:19 pm by Hypercorporealism0000000.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Well. Blew away dist-upgrade and did fresh install to trim down file storage on sda1. Went from 8 gig to 4 gig.
    Kernel 5 to 4.9
    I was unprepared for repo manager defaulting to vietnam servers though. So switched to LA in USA instead.
    Been answering facebook problems also.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

fungalnetfungalnet

As the war moves fronts so do mirrors.

After replacing my video card with a Radeon, I decided to upgrade with the guide listed here and apart from a few packages which I had to reinstall manually things went smoother than I thought it would. I’ve had some nightmare upgrades in the past with Linux so I was on the edge of my seat with the reboot :-). I also had to manually edit /etc/lsb-release too…. I’ve added the edit below for easy copy/paste for anyone else who upgrades. Cheers!

PRETTY_NAME=”antiX-19 Marielle Franco”
    DISTRIB_ID=antiX
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=19
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=buster
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=”antiX 19″

VWVW

Rocky Said:

Been answering facebook problems also.

Ah! Sounds like a case of “So much to do and only one lifetime to do it in” 😉

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.”
    ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hypercorporealism0000000Hypercorporealism0000000

Terrific! So far it actually booted! And the console font is much nicer…logged into X, and it made the console look like a Mac!?, and at present MOCP is whinging mocp: interface_elements.c:2551: bar_init: Assertionwidth > 5 && width < ssizeof(b->title)’ failed.
    Aborted` following my changing fonts on it a bit.
    Now there’s a <strong>last step</strong>, which is to change the kernel to 5.5 from

CPU: Single Core Intel Pentium 4 (-MT-) speed: 3392 MHz Kernel: 4.9.160-antix.2-486-smp i686 Up: 38m 
    Mem: 1134.4/2015.3 MiB (56.3%) Storage: 2.87 TiB (27.6% used) Procs: 237 Shell: bash 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.36 

And given the CPU, probably…no chance? OMG there were just compiler warnings on…broadcom-sta and ndiswrapper…kinda want that, looks like 4.9.19 or so will go…without warnings…this is a comic lovely utility, cli-aptiX that totes runs w.o. root (and asks passwords.)

Thanks for the interesting results so far! …love the option to pick ALL THE KERNELS of course. Haha. What?

CPU: Single Core Intel Pentium 4 (-MT-) speed: 3392 MHz Kernel: 5.5.0-antix.1-486-smp i686 Up: 3m Mem: 169.6/1947.6 MiB (8.7%) 
    Storage: 2.87 TiB (27.6% used) Procs: 193 Shell: bash 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.36 

Okay, so I punched for options and the top one was kernel 5.5 thing…that had warnings…and yet it moves and seems to be on the internet enough to do this. Wow. Everyone go try it with your VIA EDEN boards to save power?!?
    [Lurking of $100-300 laptops and Intel Socket P things intensifies.]

Found a wrinkle! Running Flobopuyo from a second desktop runs it in 2:1 and resizes a window on first desktop to its low-rez size.
    Then, instead of the lower menu popping up at the bottom, it pops up in the middle…function is fine somehow! Also a linethrough bar
    on the task menu indicates the active task, not a highlight.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Hypercorporealism0000000.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Hypercorporealism0000000.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Hypercorporealism0000000.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.