Upgrading antiX – don’ts

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Upgrading antiX – don’ts

Tagged: 

• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Sep 23-11:14 pm by krypto.boy.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

1. Do not dist-upgrade any version of antiX using any Debian backports repos since it may cause some apps to fail to install correctly.
    If you do, you get to pick up the pieces and waive any support.
    This is also Debian’s recommendation.

2. Do not ‘google’ and blindly implement any random ‘advice’ on antiX. Ask for help in the forums.

3. Do not add third party repos such as Ubuntu ppa.

4. Use the Package Installer app first to install popular applications such as google-chrome, wine etc. This app is there for a reason.

5. Do not enable the multimedia repo per default, and of course do not perform a dist-upgrade while it is enabled.

• This topic was modified 10 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added Caprea's suggestion

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

I like to add one. Anticapitalista you can remove it or add.

Do not enable the multimedia repo per default, and of course do not perform a dist-upgrade while it is enabled.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Do not enable the multimedia repo per default, and of course do not perform a dist-upgrade while it is enabled.

Thanks. Done.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

1. Do not dist-upgrade any version of antiX using any Debian backports repos since it may cause some apps to fail to install correctly.
    If you do, you get to pick up the pieces and waive any support.

Regrettably, I didn’t see this warning earlier, as it may be the cause of my present woes. My present installs of antiX-core19 have been chugging along smoothly without any issues since the inception of antix version 19, always updating with cli-aptix. However, this week, following updating with apt dist-upgrade on two antiX-core laptops, my USB data-sticks and internal drives or partitions were not recognised by pcmanfm, not being listed in the lefthand pane under ‘Places’. Though cumbersome, I can still however navigate to my internal data drive within pcmanfm, under ‘Directory Tree’, but any USB attachments e.g. my USB sticks (data), don’t show under ‘Directory Tree’ at all.

See my experience of this at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/file-manager-problem-pcmanfm/#post-77083 – it’s a warning to others …
    Increasingly, it’s beginning to look like I’ll have to do a clean wipe of the drives and do a fresh install …

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core+LXDE installed on:
    - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    ▪ 64-bit antix21-base+LXDE installed on:
    - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
    - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

mikey777, you might be confusing something here.The backports.list is enabled by default on antiX. So you can always install something from backports without the need of changing the repo sources.
    But there will never get something from backports installed, if you do not explicitely choose it.That’s how backports works.A dist-upgrade or full-upgrade will perform a normal dist-upgrade.

What is ruinous is doing such silly things like “apt -t buster-backports dist-upgrade”, to get all your packages upgraded to backports.

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

mikey777, you might be confusing something here.The backports.list is enabled by default on antiX. So you can always install something from backports without the need of changing the repo sources.But there will never get something from backports installed, if you do not explicitely choose it.That’s how backports works.A dist-upgrade or full-upgrade will perform a normal dist-upgrade. What is ruinous is doing such silly things like “apt -t buster-backports dist-upgrade”, to get all your packages upgraded to backports.

Yes, you’re right about my confusion caprea! Very confused here. I haven’t modified the repos in any way at all. All I did was use apt dist-upgrade and, if I read you correctly, means that command in itself wouldn’t have caused pcmanfm to fail to recognise USB & internal drives. It’s a puzzle why it has malfunctioned only now after all this time – maybe one of its dependencies failed to update, but which one (?) …

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core+LXDE installed on:
    - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    ▪ 64-bit antix21-base+LXDE installed on:
    - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
    - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

1. Do not dist-upgrade any version of antiX using any Debian backports repos

Many thanks for this explicit advisory. I wouldn’t have known this, and happily dist-upgraded if I hadn’t read this important piece of information here accidentally. In order to understand your warning correctly, could you clarify please?

Does this mean:

A.) Don’t dist-upgrade in case you use / you have installed whatever software from backports repos (implying you can’t dist-upgrade anymore once you have installed something from the backports on your system)?

B.) Don’t dist-upgrade as long the backport repos are activated in your apt configuration (implying you have simply to deactivate the backport repos before performing a dist-upgrade on a system with installed software from these repos in order to safely it)?

Package Installer […] This app is there for a reason.

Would you mind to explain what is this reason? I’m a bit uneasy now, since I never have used this Package Installer, being accustomed to choose apt for all installation, deinstallation and upgrading tasks on console directly. Is there something which apt doesn’t handle correctly by default?

Many thanks for your advice!
    Robin.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

As caprea says – What is ruinous is doing such silly things like “apt -t buster-backports dist-upgrade”, to get all your packages upgraded to backports.

apt dist-upgrade with backports repo enabled is fine

If user is comfortable using the command line, then use that.
    However, some packages in Package Installer are best installed that way for users to avoid adding repos or downloading random debs from the net
    eg gimp latest

clementishutin
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for sharing.

stevesr0
    Helpful
    Up

As mentioned by anticapitalista in a couple of threads, when requesting “full-upgrade” or “dist-upgrade” a list of packages that will be AUTOMATICALLY removed will be displayed AND you will be asked to “say” YES or NO before the upgrade is performed.

You MUST look at the packages to be removed and decide if you DO want to allow that.

If you don’t, packages could be removed that you want to keep and in some cases, major things may BREAK.

If you are not sure, DON’T full-upgrade.

In this situation, a new upgrade a day or two later might fix things, so wait and watch.

If nothing gets fixed, post about the broken upgrade.

stevesr0

krypto.boy
    Helpful
    Up

Olá, eu sou novato no linux em geral. eu entendi que o backports pode trazer instabilidade no sistema (coisa que eu não quero) . como posso atualizar meu sistema sem esses backports ? tem como desativar eles ou já automaticamente desatualizado?

Made in Recife-PE

Made in Recife-PE.
    Internet free to all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.