USB keyboard not working when booting first time into persistent mode

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-16 “Berta Cáceres” USB keyboard not working when booting first time into persistent mode

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 10-2:31 pm by jono.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I had this problem before with a different keyboard:

USB-keyboard malfunctioning

It reappears after a live-kernel-update and live-remastering of 16.2 with a Liquorix kernel with these USB-keyboards:
    Cherry M_Board 3.0 and Logitech K120 both with german layout.

At first boot into persistent root or all mode password setting fails.

Error message: Authentication token manipulation error …

Solution: use my old IBM PS/2 keyboard and voilà!

Seems to be a driver problem with the initrd generated with the Liquorix kernel update.

masinickmasinick

Usually the Liquorix kernels are pretty good, but there you go! You found an instance where the hardware support for your specific configuration does not recognize that one keyboard – and the proof is that it recognizes the OTHER one, the IBM PS/2 keyboard.

While we’re on the digression, IBM manufactures, in my opinion, some of the best keyboards, from a feel and response standpoint. I’m sure that there are plenty of good keyboards, but of the common ones seen in typical stuff that you either find at work or in a commodity consumer electronics store, IBM services are among the best.

Brian Masinick

Usually the Liquorix kernels are pretty good, but there you go!

Because I’m very much convinced of the quality of the Liquorix kernels I started anew a USB-live-installation with a different kernel from Stevo’s repository.

This time I created the live-USB-drive in one go with these steps:
    – booted the newly generated 16.2 without persistence (german keyboard setting)
    – creating rootfs, rootfs.new and homefs
    – dist-upgrade + installation of (Liquorix-)kernel
    – live-remaster ‘not in /home’
    – Rebooting with ‘persistence all’ and setting safe new passwords
    – live-kernel-updater
    – Reboot

Result: all of my keyboards now work. But This time I choose the Liquorix-kernel 4.9.22. Don’t know if the kernel-version really matters.

You found an instance where the hardware support for your specific configuration does not recognize that one keyboard – and the proof is that it recognizes the OTHER one, the IBM PS/2 keyboard.

All(!) of my keyboards are very common: Logitech K120, Cherry MX-Board 3.0, IBM PS/2 keyboard. Both of the USB-keyboards use the usbhid module checked with ‘usb-devices’. And they have to work. Otherwise the software wouldn’t be acceptable for me.

Now I would like to know:
    are the above steps optimal for what I wanted to accomplish?

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by jono.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Did the default antiX kernel not work for you?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Of course it did. Problem was – seemingly – only Liquorix-kernel related.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.