Use of the forum as it was intended.

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Use of the forum as it was intended.

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Nov 28-8:55 pm by Daddy Libre.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daddy Libre

Hi users, I need to understand how the forum works to better meet my needs and yours (administrators and moderators in the first place): in practice here I will list a series of doubts and questions about the use of the site and the hierarchy of the forum.
    While I try to write down any doubt I think the first question honestly is if this is the right section to talk about this topic.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Right place for discussion about forum. I do not know.

For a few days I have been thinking about the need for a much clearer structure, ideally sections for important topics. The number of users and posts is growing rapidly, the subjects often way off standard antix. no issues with modification as such but think it would improve forum usability if questions for unsupported applications or desktops were kept in in a special threads.

One example, moons ago we had a Browser thread, intent was to keep questions and answers in one place.
    It is long gone now no quick and easy overview for the probably most used application.

@present we have a hard to search unstructured unsorted irritating mess of mixed questions ideas and multiple language answers in same threads. no problem with those who post in for example english and Portuguese. Single language posts are I think better kept in separate language threads.

Opinions and ideas regarding this important subject welcome. The distro is fantastic, forum helpful

Structure of said forum could, i think all will agree, be improved.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I do agree that there would be some value in a better organization throughout the forum, though the current situation has not led to any serious issues (yet) that I am aware of.

Should we change anything, the burden of changing it would fall upon someone; I’m not personally concerned enough about the organization to lead an effort to modify it, so if there is a change, there is going to have to be one or more people willing to invest the time and effort into whatever modifications are made. This may be the very reason why we have what we have; thoughts and comments, and any volunteers motivated enough to change anything?

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Still waiting for Daddy Libre to give more input.

My tendency would be to define a group of categories, Office, Browsers, Multimedia as specific locations for posts,
    give a cutoff date, afterwards educate individual users, if they do not follow posting rule after a couple of PM
    mods, me included can delete. I want to help users best i can not move misplaced posts for the (limited) rest of my life.

Selected current posts could be moved or mirrored to specific threads. A complete cleanup and reorganisation
    would be in my opinoin way too time consuming for the rewards it would bring.

Other theme I see is how user posts are titled, I include myself in criticism and have been trying for a while
    to make search easier or if you like less hit or miss. Same questions are asked many times, in some cases user is
    just lazy, in many others what he needed hidden in the depths of a thousand posts.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

hard to search unstructured unsorted irritating mess of mixed questions ideas and

search results are terribly polluted (painfully so) due to the cumulative postings of inxi output and similar hardware specs (and posts containing lonnnnnnnng spammy / noisy output from apt update operations). Perhaps there exists an administrative option to fence/suppress those noisy posts, or ability for a moderator to flag individual posts as NON-searachable?

Maybe inxi reports and similar could/should be posted to pastebin.com and a link inserted. Oh, that would be “too difficult” for some users. Well, moderators could repost to pastebin replace the noisy content with an embedded pastebin link. Howabout (dunno whether this is feasible) a separate, flagged as non-searchable, subforum to contain the inxi/noisy/spammylogs content. The original post (wrangled by moderators) would contain an embedded link to the in-forum relocated noisy content. Possibly, log content could be snipped and inserted into a post “attachment”, but then the content would be (I reckon) too difficult for casual readers to access.

Selected current posts could be moved or mirrored to specific threads.

mirroring willl further pollute the search results?
    The prospect of finding pre-existing posts topics MOVED frightens me. I would be truly lost when skimming/scanning remembered content.

A longer character allowance for topic titles would allow “cleanup” of existing topic titles with a given subforum. Could edit to add a preface containing keyword(s): or edit to replace some existing titles with a more specific, more narrow (more precise?) topic title.

Further additional subforums? Complex hierarchies become dificult to traverse. I have already, long ago, formed a habit of only referring to RecentPosts and/or RecentTopics (plus frequent use of the mainpage search box) in the antixforum.

dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

It’s not easy for a forum user – especially if you’re not a regular visitor – to find out what you are expected to do on the forum. I remember when I first came here that I was puzzled by all these Inxi-reports. But often people would ASK for one if you asked for help on a problem. So I started to include one directly, not wanting to look stupid. Seems I didn’t do the right thing after all 🙁

A sticky about the best way to use the forum could perhaps help? I searched for ‘forum rules’, ‘”forum rules”‘ ‘use forum’, but nothing very helpful came up.

All things considered, I find the forum helpful as it is. But maybe administrators see things differently.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I wonder if we could create a little script that someone could run from the menu that would generate the diagnostics and have the option to upload it to a free site on the web, and pop up the link in the browser so the person could post the link to it in the forum instead of the text?

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for input skidoo, BobC, dirkd.
    No way to please all even with a lot of man hours but be nice if we can improve. Without too much change.

A longer character allowance for topic titles would allow “cleanup” of existing topic titles with a given subforum. Could edit to add a preface containing keyword(s): or edit to replace some existing titles with a more specific, more narrow (more precise?) topic title.

Agree, trying to title for better search is at present difficult to impossible due limited space.

Selected current posts could be moved or mirrored to specific threads.

Intent would only make sense at a later date (after a cutoff date) when posts become more structured.
    Not a solution to move a load of older posts.

BobC, good idea with diagnostics upload script. C leaner forum and less drive dpace needed = faster searching.

The trouble with just regarding recent posts is when the threads get longer and older with multiple persons committing they slip in
    to darkness.. i.e, difficult to retrieve. Users have to visit the forum a lot to follow.

Daddy Libre
    Helpful
    Up

Excuse me for my late response, but I’ve not pin notifications via email.

Wow! Such a lovely surprise to see your interest in the topic. Personally it overcomes my expectations!

Firstly the first, my list of doubts:

.Does antiX IRC and kiwiirc work for you?
    in case it is working where I can ask for help (because it does not work for me)

.I would like to talk about a “respin” for children (it is early to call it that): after all that is why I installed antiX. I would like to inform about my progress and ask for help to achieve my goal. I therefore wonder if it is better to create an all-encompassing topic on the subject or if it is better to open different topics (the first option would be easy to manage for me but, I assume, the second would be easier to consult for other users).

.I would like to write in two languages (marcelo cripe style) but I did not understand if there is an internal function in the forum or if I have to do it independently [that’s seems resolved in: please use English everywhere and italian on italian topic (if I’m right [does it mean I have to make copies of the original post and consume space?])

.I’m something else than a developer, I’m the most “goat-linux-user” (the famous GLU/linux 😃) in the world!! I would like to help you in the best possible way in this community (I try to translate antiX, I do not eat at McDonald’s and I try to study linux) but for me git and similar things are almost always out of reach… [more than a doubt this is a finding: today unfortunately I write to you from windows because it come more fluid (but I’ve managed to VM antix whit 400mb on 2gb of win10! Crazy!!] to this I add that I do not want to be logorrhoeic!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

After my list… well I have to read a lot of yours post!

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Respin for children, may be a lot to talk about, if you feel like it please send me a PM
    with a bit of info about your wish list. Maybe I can help, depending on intended age group
    although there is a big overlap in what kids can use. A lot of offerings are what adults
    think kids should like and end up in a baby gaga play school category.

I tend to think what PPC calls a transformation pack is a way more flexible concept, it has a
    lot of advantages over distribution of special purpose versions.

Marcello writes in his own portuguese and provides a translation in english. I think that is
    fine for all. Single language posts are I think far better in the country list to avoid confusion.

Dual languaage posts do have a far better chance of being answered as easier for helpers.

I write to you from windows because it come more fluid, if I put a windoze disk in my computer
    it runs like a frozen river, slooooower than slow. Just make a live antix USB and run from that.

Had to laugh about m donalds, what they serve is crap not food. How can (guessing) anyone from
    a country like italy go to that place, you have such a wealth of fine recipes and ingredients
    both for those who eat dead animals and plenty for vegetarian or vegan persons.

Daddy Libre
    Helpful
    Up

I do agree that there would be some value in a better organization throughout the forum, though the current situation has not led to any serious issues (yet) that I am aware of.
    Should we change anything, the burden of changing it would fall upon someone; I’m not personally concerned enough about the organization to lead an effort to modify it, so if there is a change, there is going to have to be one or more people willing to invest the time and effort into whatever modifications are made. This may be the very reason why we have what we have; thoughts and comments, and any volunteers motivated enough to change anything?

I totally agree whit that, and it’s not in my intencion and capabilyties rewright the forum!
    what i was thinking relates whit a buonch tread that need differents locations, so i can do my best to put all my argument in the right order.

I want to help users best i can not move misplaced posts for the (limited) rest of my life.

me too

Maybe inxi reports and similar could/should be posted to pastebin.com

ehi! why not antiX IRC (that’s one of my questions but , also that could be the solution)

A sticky about the best way to use the forum could perhaps help? I searched for ‘forum rules’, ‘”forum rules”‘ ‘use forum’, but nothing very helpful came up.

that’s surely helpfull. i use other forum where those info are right on top! Maybe followed whit a rapid guide of BBCodes, few words on wordpress, ecc…
    this also refresh to me another question (usefull in this tread): why in all topic there are some “unrelated” tread listed on top? I use smartphone sometimes to navigate the forum and, for lack of space on screen, it’s “overdone” (sorry…)

All things considered, I find the forum helpful as it is.

what can I say…everytime i’ve asked i’ve received help!
    the topic for me has come too far ( but i recognize that can lead to revolutions!)

I wonder if we could create a little script that someone could run from the menu that would generate the diagnostics and have the option to upload it to a free site on the web, and pop up the link in the browser so the person could post the link to it in the forum instead of the text?

interesting

Thanks for input skidoo, BobC, dirkd.
    No way to please all even with a lot of man hours but be nice if we can improve. Without too much change.

I’m whit you

Dual languaage posts do have a far better chance of being answered as easier for helpers.

ok… good

Just make a live antix USB and run from that.

that can be done by a goat! (what was intended to arrive: i will post madly respectful and open but, for now don’t speak me git!!)

@ModdIt for respin i will contact you in private; let’s just decide if is helpful or not to create a tread and where.

love you all!

fatboy
    Helpful
    Up

The admin team and Antix team are amazing. I have been posting frequently lately and I got support from them almost immediately. Really impressive, this forum and members are really impressive and special. So I think a new forum structure would benefit us al even more.
    I am used to forums, but I struggle with this forum, I don’t know where my notifications are etc. Maybe I am stupid?

If you guys decide to new software, the software the Palemoon guys use are really nice. Discourse is an option also, but it’s very bloated? Anyway, just my 2c.

Whatever you decide, I am very happy to be here.

"Spiral out, keep going"

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I think the software for the forum is fine. While topic choices and organization could be improved, the performance and functionality of this forum are excellent.

Also, for those having difficulty finding this, the “magnifying glass” (circle with an angled line in the top right corner) is helpful in

searching

for keywords, either in the topics or the contents of messages. I’ve found posts, even old ones, many times using this feature.

Brian Masinick

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

For your information,

I sent a long reply in the “Translation” section and could not send the message. I tried twice. I received the word “Forbidden” twice in red.

Best regards,
    Wallon

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Wallon, sometimes the forum software is a pain.
    Pls try and make a short post with the title you need, publish it.

Wait a few minutes then click edit, copy in your post and try and publish.
    If your post is really long you may need to split the text as possibly over word limit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.