utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems will be case sensitive

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems will be case sensitive

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated Feb 13-11:09 pm by skidoo.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello,

On my two computers, in the dmesg log, I have this remark for the fat32 partition on my two usb sticks;

FAT-fs (sdb3): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

Can I ignore this remark?

While doing research with Google, there is talk of a bug in Debian in 2008 but I haven’t found a solution. Maybe I didn’t find the right website and that’s why I’m asking you the question.

I have done a fsck with Gparted, there is nothing.

Best regards,
    Wallon

skidooskidoo

We can “ignore” (but dare not “disregard”) that notice.
    It serves as a reminder ~~ programs running on linux-based O/Ses expect, sometimes presume, that a case-sensitive aware filesystem is in use.

If you “ignore” case when choosing filenames (mynotes.txt vs myNotes.txt), you’ll eventually encounter problems/confusion. Similarly, if someone {shudder} chooses to use filenames which contain %$# characters, or “space” characters… problems will ensue.

ah, websearch. Top result links to a debian “bug” ticket

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=483781
    Ignore the warning, it is completely bogus

Ok, I regard it as a being “notice” vs a warning… and I would choose to say “once you understand what it means/implies, disregard it” vs worrying about, how to “(re)solve” it or silence/suppress it.

utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems

Files being written to FAT32, only ascii characters can be used to represent their filenames. Most of us migrate away from using a FAT32 formatted partition. In the meantime, choose filenames bearing only ascii characters for any files which will be sent to a/the FAT32 storage partition.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.