Very long boot time

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Very long boot time

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Apr 28-2:07 pm by nonico.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I downloaded 17.1 to a Sandisk USB drive and notice that it takes several minutes to boot on my 2 ghz core 2 laptop with I think 3 gigs of ram.

This is an older BIOS machine (Fujitsu T4220) that I thought was only capable of 32 bit processing. I tried a live USB with 16.1 on it and it didn’t seem to do anything (just a blinking cursor), but the 32 bit was immediately recognized.

So, it eventually (4-5 minutes) launches and works ok (only tested today for a few hours).

Just puzzled, since the 16.1 on my other laptop (a 64 bit celeron) boots from the 16.1 live USB in a little less than a minute.

The Fujitsu has only USB 2 ports; the Lenovo has a USB 3 port.

Is this normal or are there some common sticking places for a live USB?

Thanks in advance.

Steve R.

from a terminal you can try dmesg and see the log of it booting.

fatmacfatmac

Possibly the difference between USB3 & USB2, though my pendrives usually come up within about 2~3 mins when booting on my USB2.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

@Bobc,

Thanks for suggestion.

I am a dmesg ignoramus.

I looked thru it just know and nothing obvious jumped out. I need to read up about dmesg messages…

Parenthetically, I looked up my laptop and it apparently is 64-bit capable, so I tried booting the full 64-bit 17.1 version. It booted in ~ 5 minutes, like the 32-bit version and looks the same.

Once up, it seems to run adequately fast from the USB 2.0 connection.

@fatmac,

Thanks for response.

I wonder if it will boot faster if I save it as persistent.

I will try that next.

Steve

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Check that it isn’t networking that is slowing down the boot.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

@ anticapitalista,

Thanks for response.

I have it connected via a wired connection, partly to avoid issues with wireless. Is there some specific marker of a network slowdown that I should look for in log files?

Steve R.

strobez2017strobez2017

Hey, stevesr0, I’m not sure if this helps, but I have a similar issue with a delay at boot time. I am on AntiX 17 with Sid repos.

The issue I have is that the boot process pauses for a few minutes. When it’s paused the screen is showing the message – “Configuring network interfaces – waiting for lock on /run/network/ifstate.eth3

I’ve run the below to see if I can see this message in the logs:

dmesg | grep ifstate

but cannot see any entries for the message that I see during the pause at boot-time.

Hopefully, anticapitalista will come back to you soon with some more info. Although it could well be worth searching this forum for similar things.

On a side note, it took me a while to find the correct Search box on this forum – make sure you use the box underneath “Search Forums” on the forum homepage http://www.antixforum.com

Good luck!!

"Futh is stranger than triction"

Hey, stevesr0, I’m not sure if this helps, but I have a similar issue with a delay at boot time. I am on AntiX 17 with Sid repos.

The issue I have is that the boot process pauses for a few minutes. When it’s paused the screen is showing the message – “Configuring network interfaces – waiting for lock on /run/network/ifstate.eth3

I’ve run the below to see if I can see this message in the logs:

dmesg | grep ifstate

but cannot see any entries for the message that I see during the pause at boot-time.

Hopefully, anticapitalista will come back to you soon with some more info. Although it could well be worth searching this forum for similar things.

On a side note, it took me a while to find the correct Search box on this forum – make sure you use the box underneath “Search Forums” on the forum homepage http://www.antixforum.com

Good luck!!

I’m not on Sid, and I don’t have that pause during the boot sequence, but I’ve had it on other systems. This is what worked for me…

1. Open the file manager as root, and go to…

/etc/network/

2. Make a copy of the interfaces file and save it somewhere that you can retrieve it if needed (in case this doesn’t work)

3. Open the interfaces file with your text editor, and remove everything except the following…

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

4. Save and close the file.

5. Reboot

6. If that doesn’t work, say a few choice words about me, then replace the interfaces file with the one you saved.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.