Video: antiX 17 "antiX-cli" a ControlCenter for console environment

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Video: antiX 17 "antiX-cli" a ControlCenter for console environment

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 18-9:01 pm by BitJam.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

A walk thru of the rather extension antiX console environment and the antiX-cli (control center).

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: made video smaller

@16:30
    “I really don’t know how these things get rated”

FYI, the list of suggested packages plus the “rating” for each are specified within the file /usr/local/share/cli-aptiX/suggested.packages

edit:

oops!
    They are specified in:

/usr/local/share/cli-aptiX/suggested/cli.list
    and
    /usr/local/share/cli-aptiX/suggested/cli.list

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by skidoo.

What happens, on a live system, if I attempt to use cli-aptiX (vs live-kernel-updater) to install a different kernel?
    (asking b/c I skimmed the script and didn’t find any error-handling related to this)

As an early betatester, I begged to have “some sort of help/documentation” included within cli-aptiX.
    Although I now see a “find_man_page” reference present within the cli-aptiX script, the video doesn’t mention accessible help
    and I can’t see anywhere the find_man_page() can be invoked.
    (i kinda sorta expected the UI would state “press H for help for the current item” ~~ loading a manpage, or other curated helpfile, for whichever cli-aptix menuentry item currently hold focus.)

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

What happens, on a live system, if I attempt to use cli-aptiX (vs live-kernel-updater) to install a different kernel?
    (asking b/c I skimmed the script and didn’t find any error-handling related to this)

The live-kernel-updater program would be worthless if we prevented you from installing kernels on the live system.

If you want to use a different kernel on a live system there are three steps:

1) install the kernel (via cli-aptiX or other)
    2) do a live-remaster
    3) run live-kernel-updater

If you do (1) and (3) skipping (2), then we will remind you that you need to do a remaster first.

Edit: Step (1) installs the kernel, modules, etc on the root file system. We require that the new kernel be inside of the linuxfs file which is why step (2) is required even if you have some form of root persistence enabled. This avoids a problem of not being able to boot at all if root persistence is disabled. Finally, step (3) updates the live initrd and live vmlinuz (or vmlinuz1) file.

It is still not 100% fool-proof. For example, root persistence is tied to the type of Union FS that was used. We support both aufs and overlayfs. So if you enable root persistence with a kernel that supports overlayfs, then that is what we will use by default. If you update to a kernel that doesn’t have overlayfs support then we will fall back to using aufs. But this will break your rootfs file.

BTW: if you run into a problem like this, you can still use live-kernel-updater to roll back to the previous kernel by plugging the live-usb into a different system (that has live-kernel-updater available).

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.