visualization of a few antix persistence schemes

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks visualization of a few antix persistence schemes

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Oct 19-11:01 am by marcelocripe.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ckhung

Hi! I am writing an antix tutorial. The various persistence schemes seem confusing. I have drawn a picture as a visual aid for understanding the differences between various persistence schemes. You comments on how to improve it will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

ps. Somehow my old account of exactly the same id (ckhung) got deleted by the system. I am posting under a newly registered account.

The above picture is the latest version. Please ignore the follwing attachment. I seem to be unable to remove it once it’s already there…

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by ckhung.
      Attachments:
      Forum Admin
      dolphin_oracle

typically you would use persistence features on a usb or other writable device, rather than optical media.

if you were using optical media, you would need a second writable device for the persistence files to be stored on.

Brian Masinick

@ckhung I am sorry that your account was deleted. Earlier this month we moved to a new server, and as we did so, we removed some accounts that were dormant and had not been used in a while. Several of the accounts had been used by spammers, and we felt that it was worth the potential risk of removing some people who legitimately registered, so I apologize to you and anyone else we prematurely removed, and we certainly welcome you back with that apology for our overzealous effort to clean up our forum; it affected you and I extend an apology on behalf of our moderation and administration team.

I’m glad you made it safely back and I wish you success in your latest project. Incidentally Dolphin Oracle knows a LOT about persistence; he contributes to both antiX and MX Linux projects, both of which utilize some very similar tools, reworked to fit each of these two excellent projects.

Thanks to D.O. and all of the people who design, develop and maintain these forward thinking, innovative approaches to using removable (usually USB) media to create a safe and effective system experience.

--
          Brian Masinick

ckhung

> if you were using optical media, you would need a second writable device for the persistence files to be stored on.
            Thanks, @dolphin_oracle . Yeah, sure, that part I know. Is it more correct and precise to say that choosing one of the “frugal” options in the F5 menu upon boot time causes antix to install one more copy of itself, regardless of whether it was originally booted from cdrom or hdd or usb?

Also, I added a “(boot)” arrow to mean that the content of rootfs will be rsync’ed to tmpfs at boot time. That’s just my guess without looking at the code. Can you please point me to the code if this guess is wrong?

@masinick : no problem. Good to know what happened. I understand the trouble of dealing with spammers. Also it’s cool to see myself having posted anonymously (because of the deleted identity). I don’t think many people have this privilege ha ha!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by ckhung.
            Brian Masinick

“Also it’s cool to see myself having posted anonymously (because of the deleted identity). I don’t think many people have this privilege ha ha!”

This is our good deed of the year!
              🥳😁

--
              Brian Masinick

ckhung

BTW I think it is worth while to mention live-usb-maker along with those docs talking about frugal install. And “boot loader” should be mentioned up front in those articles for SEO reasons 🙂 I learned about it only after quite some searches.

After experiment I realized that the frugal install indirectly initiated by the F5 key at boot time only copies files and does not install a boot loader. That’s reasonable of course, but the resulting usb cannot boot on its own. I found @dolphin_oracle ‘s video but that assumes that the user already has grub2 installed in his system. I am thinking about someone somewhat familiar with some main stream distro and wanting to create an antix usb for his complete newbie friends.

Personally I prefer extlinux and that’s how I would write my tutorial to solve this no-boot-loader problem. I am assuming that my zh_TW readers are already somewhat familiar with command line.

abc-nix

Personally I prefer extlinux and that’s how I would write my tutorial to solve this no-boot-loader problem.

Booting antiX Frugal-only From HDD Without Any Full-Installed OS – with Extlinux

marcelocripe

ckhung wrote:
                    I am thinking about someone somewhat familiar with some main stream distro and wanting to create an antix usb for his complete newbie friends.

https://antixlinux.com/the-most-extensive-live-usb-on-the-planet/

Video Tutorials
                    Both antiX and MX have many other live-usb features that haven’t been covered here. Many of them are explained in more detail on the Run with the Dolphin YouTube Channel . For example:

Make a MX/antiX live-usb from other linux distros with the live-usb-maker-qt appimage
                    Make a live-USB w/ persistence!
                    Remaster your antiX live-USB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.