VST Preset Generator

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-16 “Berta Cáceres” VST Preset Generator

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Dec 6-9:08 am by briandc.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    briandcbriandc

Hi everyone,
    I found an app called VST-Preset-Generator that would be very useful to me, but I’m not sure which is the best approach to installation, as there are many options.
    I assume that the Debian version would be the one, but it mentions a “Debian Next ga” and Debian 9. Also, it requires Qt 5.6 but the repos only go up to 5.4…

Any help appreciated!

brian

requires Qt 5.6 but the repos only go up to 5.4

idunno if “best”, but I would test by creating a snapshot of the system then, from within a liveboot session, enable debian stretch repository + apt update and install the newer qt version + test whether the newer qt version is backward-compatible with the other (few) qt-powered apps on my system. If all seems well, followup by installing same to the real/permanent system. Liveboot is PERFECT for conducting such experimentation.

A websearch might reveal whether 5.x qt versions are expected to be backward-compatible with lesser 5.xxx versions.
    If they reputedly are, I would probably (jump the shark and) liveboot test v5.9, from the current debian “testing” repo

ps: The VST presets this tool creates, are they compatible for use with Audacity?

screenshot

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by skidoo.
    briandcbriandc

Hi Skidoo,
    thanks for the tips. The presets that are made are randomized settings of a given synthesizer. So Audacity should be able to record the incoming signal of the synth, with its parameters set according to the preset. (The preset is just the settings, not an actual sound.)

Btw, I was hoping to see the newest Audacity appear in the repos for upgrading, but I haven’t seen it yet. Any news there?

brian

Newest audacity?
    Shrug, idunno. You’re free to visit “packages.debian.org” in your web browser, type in “audacity”, looksee what version is in testing, in unstable…
    and grab newer version from a repo other than “stable” if one is available. A newer version may, or may not be installable on your system.

“The presets that are made are randomized settings of a given synthesizer.”
    Awwww, I confused “VST effects plugins” (which I’ve used during editing) with “VST presets”.
    FWIW, we have an old (non velocity-sensing) Casio CZ-1000 here & the kids claim there’s a MIDI cable, but I haven’t found it…

briandcbriandc

Newest audacity?
    Shrug, idunno. You’re free to visit “packages.debian.org” in your web browser, type in “audacity”, looksee what version is in testing, in unstable…
    and grab newer version from a repo other than “stable” if one is available. A newer version may, or may not be installable on your system.

“The presets that are made are randomized settings of a given synthesizer.”
    Awwww, I confused “VST effects plugins” (which I’ve used during editing) with “VST presets”.
    FWIW, we have an old (non velocity-sensing) Casio CZ-1000 here & the kids claim there’s a MIDI cable, but I haven’t found it…

COOL! That’s the first synth I ever bought! (back in the 80s) I wish I never sold it. I even had a few sound cartridges that I sold with it, and a modulation ribbon was installed, which was available separately, advertized in a magazine somewhere..
    Yes, it should have both MIDI in and out ports, but those won’t send the sound signal into your PC, of course. You would need to send the audio signal into your PC sound card for that.

Re. the Preset Generator, I’m jealous you got it to work! I haven’t tried another version of Qt yet, but I’ve gotta try it. It looks cool!

Re. Audacity: I prefer to wait until a good new stable version is ready in the repos. It’s kind of a miracle I’ve got one that works right now, as the wx-Widgets issue seemed to have put the linux version on hold for quite a while. I’m just anxious to see what’s new… 🙂

brian

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.