Wacom digitizer and antix boot – [solved]

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Wacom digitizer and antix boot – [solved]

This topic contains 54 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by stevesr0 Dec 3-4:34 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    736b69646f6f

Also, if the liveusb was created with unetbootin, a do-over (using live-usb-maker) might evaporate the problem.

crestiah

@736b69646f6f maybe i miss-understood dolphin_oracle previous post and thought it was a 2 stage boot process sorry.

think the problem was with the fujitsu not the lenovo
    think the fujitsu is 64bit capable but not recommended kind of like my lenovo g575 (1.3ghz procesor, 8gig ram, doesnt like systemd either at least as a desktop anyway).

in terms of the 2 stage boot i was thinking of (passing the buck) syslinux wouldnt need to know what uefi is capable of only to launch it. (hence passing the buck to uefi/grub2 to take-over booting operations/capabilities)

kind of what an acquaintance at puppylinux would do with grub4dos went something like (cant remember the exact command write up but hopefully you get the drift)

Title whatever .iso /.img file
    root= (hd0,0) \boot\whatever.iso
    boot = \boot\grub\whatever.iso
    initrd = \boot\initrd\whatever.iso

anyway the idea was to lock/jail root to the start of the iso/img file, so anything you did or saved stayed inside that img file. as well as bypass the dos memmory limits.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by crestiah.
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by crestiah. Reason: left out a word or two
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by rokytnji.
    stevesr0

Hi crestiah and @736b69646f6f:

Thanks for comments.

Additional information.
    The Lenovo is a newer machine with a 1.83 GHz quad core celeron and 8 gig of RAM and has UEFI system firmware. The Fuitsu has a dual core intel processor (T7250) running at 2 GHz and has 4 gig of RAM and BIOS firmware.

I have subsequently checked the times to boot with antix16 and the situation is different: BOTH computers boot in a reasonably short time and the Fujitsu boots FASTER than the Lenovo (24 vs 44 seconds). So, the move from 16 to 17 results in a small increase in boot time for the Lenovo (44 to 55 seconds) and a MASSIVE increase for the Fujitsu (24 to 319 seconds).

I have attached the bootcharts for antix16 to this reply.

My responses follow my quotes of your comments (” “) and are preceded by **.

crestiah 1:

“but basically im going to make an assumption or 2:
    antix 16.1 probably uses uefi boot …antix 17 uefi boot possibly includes MpService protocol …if grub2 uefi is setup for multi thread delegation as its preferred first option then its probably trying to pipe multithread exec code through a single thread pipe, this could be done at the same speed, except the dual core processor would need to be at least twice the speed of the quad core.,ie quad core 1.83ghz dual core 4ghz…pipe multithread exec code through a single thread pipe” by this im thinking uefi(multithread)/gpt piped through syslinux bios/mbr.”
    **I am ignorant about how the two bootloaders differ in their processes. I will seek to learn about this. Thanks for the references.
    The motherboard hosts the hardware and firmware that runs BIOS or UEFI, not the disk drive. My Fujitsu doesn’t have UEFI, my Lenovo does. So the Fujitsu can’t boot via UEFI. I believe (from dolphin_oracle’s comment) that GRUB2 is used as the bootloader on a UEFI system even when running via LiveUSB.

“i would be curious to know if the syslinux component is booting with boot=quiet (usually means to me blank screen)”
    **I believe so; I didn’t change the default

@736b69646f6f: (“@7”)and crestiah both indicate that the black screen is due to the boot running in quiet mode.
    ** I will change the option to a nonquiet one to view error messages flashing by. If that occurs too fast, I will check the /var/log file for the boot to see if the delay is explained.

@736b69646f6f: “Possibly an updated firmware is available from lenovo which would remedy the slow booting.”
    ** The Fujitsu is slow booting with 17 and there is no update to the BIOS that I can find.

Visit F2 bios setup and check whether you can manually choose device boot order, to “usb first, if present” or whatever option is available.
    “Check /var/log/ or /var/log/live/ to see what error messages are being spewed to logfile during the 5 minute boot stall. Bootchart indicates “udev” is running for minutes. Struggling to find a driver? Bad/intermittent hardware errors?”
    **I will look at those files.

“Something in the bootchart about set-console-width…. and same shown at right side of bootchart.
    It’s not a solid line like that process was running the whole time. It gets interrupted, suspended, while udev it doing something else???”
    **I see a number of processes that look like they stopped. I was looking at avahi-daemon for the same reason. Not obvious to me how to pick out the major blocks to boot from the chart.

“…typed a custom boot parameter,..”
    **No.

“If the boot device is liveusb, I don’t understand how grub2 enters the picture. AFAIK, syslinux provides the liveboot efi bootloader and I see nothing on the syslinux.org site mentioning ability to tweak the behavior for “threads”.”
    **According to Dolphin_Oracle, syslinux is used on liveUSB running on BIOS system, GRUB2 on UEFI. Thus, booting from the same liveUSB on my two machines uses different bootloaders.

“unetbootin…”
    ** Used rufus, running in Windows 10 to make all the liveUSBs.

responses to crestiah:

“anyway the idea was to lock/jail root to the start of the iso/img file, so anything you did or saved stayed inside that img file. as well as bypass the dos memmory limits.”

** I don’t know how respond to that suggestion.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by stevesr0.
    crestiah

yeh sorry @stevesr0 this should have read.

“but basically im going to make an assumption or 2:
    antix 16.1 probably uses uefi boot …antix 17 uefi boot possibly includes MpService protocol”

fixed (i think)
    antix 16.1 probably uses uefi boot single thread (which is the exact same way bios/mbr boot works with a single thread).

in which case this statement is correct
    “BOTH computers boot in a reasonably short time and the Fujitsu boots FASTER than the Lenovo (24 vs 44 seconds)” and as expected (well at least by me).

Well this is what I thought he meant too
    **According to Dolphin_Oracle, syslinux is used on liveUSB running on BIOS system, GRUB2 on UEFI. Thus, booting from the same liveUSB on my two machines uses different bootloaders.

however i might have jumped the gun with this part
    “PC’s bios can boot a gpt partition table” and “gpt is supposed to have a “protected mbr” area, that while not a real mbr, will serve the function.”

so from that i kinda got that maybe their is an “if” statement that went something like
    if uefi/gpt capable then run eufi/grub2
    if gpt capable but not uefi then run uefi/gpt through fake bios/mbr interpreter.

(if i was right in my above belief then the fujitsu (with 2 less usable cores at boot) would actually run slower because of the interpreter).

** I don’t know how respond to that suggestion.
    lol you didnt have to, it was only meant to some show of the trippy stuff people do with the grub/lilo/ntldr/syslinux boot loaders.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by crestiah.
    stevesr0

@ crestiah,

I looked at the two links and came away feeling this is not the way UEFI would generally be operating.

Obviously interesting stuff.

The parallelization goal seems similar to that driving systemd.

I only belatedly realized that bootcharts are a type of GANTT chart. I will seek some insights from GANTT chart tutorials if I can find some.

Thanks for comments and claification.

Steve

stevesr0

1. Bootchart may look like a GANTT chart, but it differs in that a GANTT chart is created to display the interaction of a number of planned tasks on the timing of the completion of project subtasks and the overall project. Bootchart displays the actual timing of different items during a boot. It doesn’t obviously lend itself to the same “critical path” analysis.

2. I noticed tonight that antix17 detects the Wacom digitizer on my Fujitsu, while antix16 doesn’t. The var/log/Xorg.log file shows that the only entries after 68 seconds are Wacom ones. So, I wonder if Wacom launching is delaying the boot for 4 minutes?? I described this in a new post on this subforum, so anyone using a Wacom digitizer might be motivated to respond.

Thanks for any responses.

Steve

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Errr, AntiX 16 is Jessie, AntiX 17 is stretch. You running the same exact same kernel on both distros?

I got a Wacom pen on my Dell XT2 on the shelf. I see no reason to disable it. I use it.

Find the module for you Wacom pen using lsmod and blacklist it I guess.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-blacklist-a-module-on-ubuntu-debian-linux

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

This what happens when you ask the same question in 2 threads. I answered over here.

Edit: Deleted because I merged the threads and posts

We are small team. So keep you query’s centralized please.

stevesr0

Hi rokytnji,

Thanks for response.

I am using the 16.1 (I think) and 17.1. They use different kernels.

I am launching this as a live USB without persistence (so far). I don’t know how to blacklist the Wacom module from the boot screen. I have looked at the options and with this computer, I don’t see how to edit the boot so the Wacom module is blacklisted.

I have tried to disable “quiet” using F12 and deleting that term, but it didn’t make an obvious change in the boot.

Is it as simple as typing in “disable <name of Wacom module>?

I will try to identify the name of the Wacom module at my next boot and then try that.

Steve

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.
    stevesr0

<blush>.

Sorry.

Steve

stevesr0

re: find the module for wacom and blacklist it.

lsmod doesn’t show any wacom modules.

I found four wacom modules in three subdirectories of /lib/modules/4.987-antix17.1-amd64-smp/kernel/drivers.

The files are /hid/wacom.ko, /input/tablet/wacom_serial4.ko, input/touchscreen/wacom_12c.ko and /input/touchscreen/wacom_w8001.ko.

I read that modules should show up unless they are listed in the file modules.builtin. Wacom is not listed in that file, but doesn’t show up when I run lsmod.

***I would like to try disabling/removing/blacklisting these modules at boot. However, so far, when I try to edit the option “bar” displayed by the F12 key, there is no change in the boot process. Perhaps, I am not editing properly. The help section says using F12 to display the options and then deleting an option will remove it from the boot. I tried this with the default “quiet” option, but when I then started the boot, it still used the “quiet” option.

(I won’t start another thread about the failure to edit live usb boot options, although it seems like a separate issue. I just searched the forum and didn’t see any threads about this).

Appreciate any comments, responses, advice and/or assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.
    caprea
    caprea

OK, I read the whole thread , if understanding right you want to see the log-messages of the kernel, by disabling the quiet-option on your antix-17 live usb-stick on your fujitsu-laptop.

Deleting or adding a boot-option on the live-usb for me simply works by

without pressing the F12 key
    deleting the quiet from the line in the boot-option bar,which is shown on the bootscreen, with the keyboard by using the left and right keyboard-keys
    and afterwards pressing the F8 key , setting it to save , and then pressing enter.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Just for info. Before editing root files. I make a backup of the original 1st. Gives me a safety net in case things don’t work out.

Did I not post a link about blacklisting kernel modules? I’d help more. But I am busy because my Grandson is graduating High School and I am preparing for a trip to Dallas Texas.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

OK. Here is what I will try. I will try and move your other thread and posts over here. Crossing my fingers because this is virgin territory for me.

Edit: Busted my Cherry and success in merging both threads. So no worries bro. Good luck with this.

stevesr0

Thanks, rokytnji,

Enjoy Dallas.

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.