Wacom digitizer and antix boot – [solved]

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Wacom digitizer and antix boot – [solved]

This topic contains 53 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Hierax_ca Sep 14-2:22 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author

stevesr0

Hi caprea,

thanks for response.

I hadn’t absorbed that F8 was a save key.

I will try that.

Steve

stevesr0

Update to opening post.

Comparing the modules on 16.1 with 17.1, the earlier version seems to lack wacom_drv.so (in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/.

Anybody know how to add the module to the 16.1 usb, to see if it blows the boot time up from 24 seconds to the time for booting 17.1 (5 minutes) and to remove the module from version 17.1? That would really tie the slow boot on this computer to the wacom modules.

On the same computer, my wheezy (hd) install has the same wacom files as 17.1, but boots in less than a minute.

I will try just renaming the wacom file in the /usr directory, save it via persistence and reboot the liveusb.

UPDATE: Turned out that my USB has a root persistence file, which doesn’t seem to save the changes I am trying to keep. I obviously don’t understand these persistence mechanisms, yet.

I made the changes as demo. I suppose with a root persistence file, only changes made as “root” are saved (uh-duh??). Didn’t think of that while I had that liveUSB booted and running. I will try again maybe tomorrow.

stevesr0

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by stevesr0.
    caprea
    caprea

Today I found again the topic on mx-forum to whom your problem reminded me.
    Sadly no confirmed solution.
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=43631&hilit=boot+delay

You could look if xserver-xorg-input-wacom is not installed on antix-16, but is on antix-17 ?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by caprea.
    caprea
    caprea

Look

https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/333/
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=867813
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=863532

In case this concerns your problem, it seems you have two choices, wait until xserver-xorg is updated in stable (maybe deinstalling xserver-xorg-input-wacom )
    or set your antix-installation to testing ,hopefully xserver-xorg-core (2:1.19.6-1) solves it.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by caprea.

stevesr0

@ caprea,

I think (hope) you have nailed it. Thank you, thank you…

In retrospect, I goofed by not searching for bugs. LAL (live and learn)

As I don’t tend to use the digitizer, I will try to rename the one file “blamed” or (if necessary) uninstalling the xorg-server program the reports implicate. Others have done that with maintenance of nontablet function.

At the very least if that succeeds in reducing the boot time to close to that of 16.1, then it will end my search for a solution.

I will mark that solved after I get a chance to test this.

Note, that my previous tries to make a change that would last through a reboot failed. I think the problem was that I only had a root persistence file, not a home persistence file. However, I renamed a file previously AS ROOT and that didn’t persist through the next boot, so I would appreciate instructions on how to do this CORRECTLY!! (HELP appreciated here, if anyone reads this.)

stevesr0.

caprea
    caprea

It’s hard to tell where the problem with the persistence lies, without knowing what you already tried.
    If you created the usb-stick with the live-usb-maker gui from antix and did NOT choose the dd option it should be good and writable.

My best experience until now was with the F5 option in boot menu.
    Maybe choose persist_all.
    You will get asked how much space you want to offer for home and root.
    Also you will get asked if the changes will be kept automatically or not. I prefer semi-automatic because then you will be asked by every shutdown, if the changes from the current live-session should be saved.
    Remember that the modifications you make to the system all in all must not exceed the available ram.( there’s a good explanation on the antix-faq about this under persistence….Root persistence)

How did you create the root-persistence ?
    How much ram is on your system ?

Normally its no problem to set up the persistence, but I can vaguely remember that I had once a problem to do this from the settings in control-centre..
    So try the F5 key on the boot-screen.

Still hoping this is the right way. If ” xserver-xorg-input-wacom ” is not installed on antix-16 I would simply deinstall it with synaptic.

stevesr0

I blush to say that I created the liveUSBs with a windows program (Rufus). I think I got in the habit of using it, because at some point I had issues using a linux program, but I don’t remember.

As for persistence, I used the contol centre, following (I thought) dolphin_oracle’s video. I am going to revisit the video and see if that makes clear what my failure to achieve persistence is due to.

On the older machine with the problem, there is now 4 gig of ram.

Parenthetically, a quick look at the newer machine’s Xorg.log file doesn’t show any wacom modules being loaded with 17.1. So, that is consistent with the delay being due to the launch of the wacom modules due to the xorg-server bug.

stevesr0

caprea
    caprea

OK., I found some old live-cds of antix16 and mx-16 and indeed xserver-xorg-input-wacom is not installed.So it’s pretty certain that the wacom driver together with the xserver-xorg from stable is causing the boot-delay on antix17.

As for the RUFUS programme, I just don’t know if it’s capable of making an usb-stick with persistence.It’s quite possible it can’t.
    Hopefully someone else knows and will contribute here.

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

Here’s a Fix that worked for me on my Thinkpad x61 Tablet from the MX Forum:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=45522

AntiX-17.1 (32-bit) / (64-bit):
    - Core - Toshiba Tecra 780cdm (1998), IBM Thinkpad 600X (1999);
    - Base - IBM Thinkpad A31p (2002), T43p (2005);
    - Full - Lenovo Thinkpad T60p (2006) / x301 (2009), T500 CoreBoot (2009).

caprea
    caprea

Fine it worked for you on mx17 with the backported xserver-xorg-core (2:1.19.6-1).

So we know now for sure the xserver-xorg-core from stable is actually the problem.

Of course on antiX the backported version from stevo wants to put in libsystemd.

736b69646f6f

rufus? It cannot setup antiX persistence in advance. It just creates a fat32 bootable pendrive. During the liveboot session, use the antiX persistence setup.

Same as with other tools, the “dd mode” option in rufus will generate bootable media that behaves live a CD (read-only) so don’t choose “dd mode” if you intend to use liveboot persistence

caprea
    caprea

Stevesr0, it looks like you made a good catch to bring up this bug again and a backported xserver-xorg-core from testing solves the problem with the bootdelay of laptops with a wacom-digitizer.
    After Hierax_ca’s request Stevo was so kind to build a backported nosystemd-version for antiX.
    Give it a try and give feedback.
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=451653#p451653

stevesr0

Hi caprea,

Well, I went over to the MXLinux forum and got the instructions for downloading Stevo’s fix.

After replacing the original xorg-core with the newer version he provided, my time went down to 93 seconds, which is probably almost reasonable, considering I am booting a liveUSB through a USB 2 connection. (OTOH, version 16.1 boots thru the same connection in 24 seconds, so maybe there are other issues that can be addressed to speed things up.)

Hopefully, this will be a faster boot after I install to HD (regular or frugal, TBD).

Thanks again (and also to Hierax_ca) for leading me to the right place.

stevesr0

stevesr0

Hi all,

The boot time with a “full” install to my hard drive is not faster than from the liveUSB.

I will try to disabling the recognition of the wacom digitizer and stylus on 17.1 and see if it reduces the boot time to that with 16.1.

stevesr0

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.

stevesr0

UPDATE:

I enabled (some) Wacom functionality on 16.1 and it did NOT increase the boot time. So, I think the remaining difference in boot time between 16.1 and 17.1 is due to other issues.

I will post anything I find related to my prolonged boot time in the other thread.

stevesr0

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.