Wacom digitizer and antix boot – [solved]

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Wacom digitizer and antix boot – [solved]

This topic contains 54 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by stevesr0 Dec 3-4:34 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    caprea
    caprea

antiX16 has an old version of xserver-xorg-core, should be (2:1.16.4-1+deb8u2) from jessie
    This version does not cause the bootdelay, hierax_ca mentioned this already on the mx-thread.
    Ah, I misheard you.
    Maybe better you could try to deinstall xserver-xorg-input-wacom on antix17 and see what happens.
    You can reinstall it afterwards again.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by caprea.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by caprea.
    stevesr0

Hi caprea,

Thanks for reading and responding.

I am running the patched version from Stevo and with the 4.9.104 kernel, my boot time is not terrible (50-70 seconds). I don’t think the xserver-xorg-input-wacom is a great contributor to the residual difference between 16.1 and 17.1.

Sixteen point one starts xorg entries (Xorg.log file) at about 13 seconds and takes another five seconds to get to the window manager. Seventeen point one takes 35 seconds to get to xorg entries and then has two ten second delays associated with managing the monitor and EDID entries. Those together add about 42 seconds to the boot time I think. Without those, the boot time for 17.1 should be very close to the boot time for 16.1.

I am starting to compare the dmesg files for 16.1 and 17.1. I will post about that in the other thread (“long boot time” in this subforum), if I find anything that is worthwhile.

stevesr0

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Bug fix (ie the wacom delay) debs of xserver-xorg now in antiX/stretch repo.
    Please see if it reduces the delay.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

stevesr0

anticapitalista,

I was/am running the bug fix from Stevo.

After posting this comment a few minutes ago, I searched for kms_helper errors CRTC and found a post that suggested editing a line in /etc/default/grub. When I did that, the time-t jwm went down (with the 16.13 kernel) from 185 seconds to 33 seconds. So I think that was the major problem. I will also check the boot time with the 4.9.109 kernel.

So I think that was another part of the problem, independent of the wacom bug.

Here is the edit:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash video=SVIDEO-1:d”

(Also posted on the long video boot thread in this subforum.)

I would mark both of these solved (not sure how to do that when the opening post doesn’t have an “edit” option for me.)

Thanks.

stevesr0

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

This bug fix does not upgrade xserver-xorg to the testing version, so is a better option (if it works).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

stevesr0

I looked just now and there are two versions of xserver-xorg-core, a deb9u2 and a nosystemd1.
    They are 2:1.19.2-1.0nosystemd2 and 2:1.19.2-1+deb9u2. Neither one mentions that it is a patched version, nor the date when it was uploaded.

Is one of these the patched version you uploaded? If so, let me know and I will test and report back. (Otherwise, I assume there has been some delay in the appearance of the package.)

stevesr0

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

2:1.19.2-1.0nosystemd2 versions

The changelog does mention that it is patched.

stevesr0

Ah, the changelog…

I tried it with a liveUSB running 17.1 and it worked as well as the backported patched version, reducing the boot time to about a minute.

So that should work.

(BTW, I am not clear why this seems to be an issue ONLY for machines with Wacom digitzers.)

Thanks for the patch.

stevesr0

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

The fix also works for a Thinkpad x200 Tablet (x200t) (in addition to x60t and x61t).

AntiX 17.x:
    - (32-bit): IBM Thinkpad 600X (2000), IBM NetVista X41 (2002), IBM Thinkpad A31p (2003);
    - (64-bit): Lenovo Thinkpads x61s (2008), x200 (2009), x301 (2009).

stevesr0

Update.

The newest version “5” that is patched for both the wacom boot delay AND the xserver security bug works fine on my Lenovo Thinkpad (Yoga 11.6 e).

I will add this on the other thread about a Thinkpad and the wacom bug.

stevesr0

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.