want to switch to Testing repo so I can use Kodi 19, always getting this error

Forum Forums General Software want to switch to Testing repo so I can use Kodi 19, always getting this error

• This topic has 18 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Apr 17-1:53 am by seaken64.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/initscripts_2.96-6_all.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/etc/rc.local', which is also in package fbsplash-antix 0.3.1

What I’m doing:
    I disable (#) all the normal repos, and enable all the testing repos.

sudo apt-get update
    Then I do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade however I have also tried sudo apt-get upgrade and the same problem occurs.

If I do sudo apt-get remove fbsplash-antix before doing the upgrade, then everything works, however I am not able to reinstall this fbsplash-antix and I get a completely different login screen.

Google hasn’t been much help as only 1 person had this issue, however they were able to reinstall the package.

Thanks 🙂

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by yotoprules.

???
    sudo apt-mark hold initscripts
    then retry the dist-upgrade

FWIW, using the Bullseye -based antiX21alpha release, kodi v19 is immediately installable.

capreacaprea

I don’t think you want to do a Dist-Upgrade just to install Kodi 19. You can stay at antix-19.3 and simply enable the Testing repos and then run “update” routine. The install Kodi 19 and then go back and disable the Testing repos and run “update” routine again.

Unless you really do want to be on the testing/Sid repos. But it is not necessary just to use Kodi 19. Of course now that you’ve run Dist-Upgrade with Sid enabled you may not be able to go back.

seaken64

I’m not sure what “Sid” is, all I want is Kodi 19, the version from flatpak doesn’t work (tried on multiple systems, even on ubuntu based distros, you get a black screen than instantly closes)
    There is also an unofficial debian repository that gives the latest version of kodi, however that version is also broken. It opens, however I am unable to install any addons, installing a python 3 based addon complains about python 2 dependency error… doesn’t happen in the official kodi release.

I don’t think you want to do a Dist-Upgrade just to install Kodi 19. You can stay at antix-19.3 and simply enable the Testing repos and then run “update” routine. The install Kodi 19 and then go back and disable the Testing repos and run “update” routine again.

Unless you really do want to be on the testing/Sid repos. But it is not necessary just to use Kodi 19. Of course now that you’ve run Dist-Upgrade with Sid enabled you may not be able to go back.

seaken64

I thought about doing that however after changing back to the normal repos, when I run an upgrade again wouldn’t it downgrade back to 17.6?

Not sure what Sid is but I can just reinstall the OS, I don’t use any Linux as my daily driver, I’m a little rusty with it.

???
    sudo apt-mark hold initscripts
    then retry the dist-upgrade

FWIW, using the Bullseye -based antiX21alpha release, kodi v19 is immediately installable.

I might give this a shot, I’m just using the stable AntiX 19.3. But really I don’t want an alpha OS.

You could also try this
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/error-while-dist-upgrading-antix-sid-2/#post-29701

I’ll try this as well.

Thanks guys

capreacaprea

Seaken64, have you tried this suggestion before ?

Mixing the repos is actually never a good hint.But here it’s dangerous as fire.
    Kodi depends on kodi-bin which in turn depends on …., but check it out for yourself:
    https://packages.debian.org/en/bullseye/kodi-bin

All these dependencies would then have to come from testing and then drag new dependencies themselves.

Yes, I’ve done this a few times. Admittedly not with the current Kodi 19. But I have done it with Kodi 18 and other software. I suppose it could go wrong. But I don’t know that Kodi 19 requires anything that can’t be managed in Buster.

I will try it out and report back. But the general idea is that you can enable a repo temporarily and then disable it after the package is installed.

I do appreciate your point, that dependencies could lead to trouble. But lets find out.

In the meantime, for the OP, why Kodi 19? I have had bad results so far with Kodi 19 (on Windows) as many of the add-on are not yet developed for Python 3. But that may not be an issue for you. If you’re using it mostly as a media center for your existing library it should be fine.

seaken64

OK, none of the 3 solutions worked…

I didn’t even bother with the solution of temporarily going to testing for the reasons caprea stated.

Holding the package appeared to have worked, until you reboot and you get the same effect as removing it, the login screen is completely changed and no longer happens automatically (as I set an automatic login while installing AntiX)

And running the dpkg overwrite command comes back with this error:

dpkg -i -force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/initscripts_2.96-6_all.deb
    dpkg: error: conflicting actions -f (--field) and -i (--install)

Unsure what to try next. Like I said all I need is Kodi 19 but if it’s necessary to go onto the testing repos in order to get a working copy then I’ll need to figure out how to correctly switch from the stable version to a testing version (I think)

The login screen problem isn’t a massive deal however I would like it solved if possible.

Yes, I’ve done this a few times. Admittedly not with the current Kodi 19. But I have done it with Kodi 18 and other software. I suppose it could go wrong. But I don’t know that Kodi 19 requires anything that can’t be managed in Buster.

I will try it out and report back. But the general idea is that you can enable a repo temporarily and then disable it after the package is installed.

I do appreciate your point, that dependencies could lead to trouble. But lets find out.

In the meantime, for the OP, why Kodi 19? I have had bad results so far with Kodi 19 (on Windows) as many of the add-on are not yet developed for Python 3. But that may not be an issue for you. If you’re using it mostly as a media center for your existing library it should be fine.

seaken64

A few reasons:
    The addons I use no longer support python 2 (jellyfin and jellycon) so in order to use newer versions of the addons I need Kodi 19.

Also 17.6 is kind of old now, there could be security flaws or other problems, I just want the latest version, I’ve tested it and I’ve had no problems with Kodi 19 for what I use it for. Also older addons will eventually migrate, anything that doesn’t is basically considered a dead project I guess.

Sid is the testing/unstable version of Debian. I have done what you are attempting as have others here. It was not straight forward and takes some patience. I started with Buster (Stable) and changed to Sid (Testing) by running the apt dist upgrade routines several times, along with autoremove and then restarting the dist-upgrade routine until it finally got done. I now have a working Sid/Testing antiX-19 setup. And that does offer Kodi-19.

As caprea points out it may be best to go ahead and get that done since it may be better than playing with fire. What you might try is to start off with the Sid repos to begin with when you first install antiX. I think there are Sid isos ready for download.

Yes, here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/antiX-19/sid/

Here is the announcement for sid version:
    https://antixlinux.com/antix-19-1-based-on-debian-sid-available/

ignore that. Stay with Testing – not Sid.

seaken64

P.S. I was not exactly correct about Sid being the Testing. it is actually the “unstable”, which is more of a cutting edge testing repo. There are others here who are better versed in the exact terminology.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by seaken64.
    capreacaprea

Please try
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/initscripts_2.96-6_all.deb

one stroke was missing

Edit: You didn’t tell until now why it’s not possible to reinstall fbsplash-antix, what’s the error-message ?
    Edit2: All the sid-downloads are core or net installs.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by caprea.

Okay, I apologize. I incorrectly assigned the term “Sid” to the testing repos. That is not correct. Sid is the next level of testing and is “unstable”. The testing repos are not quite as cutting edge as the Sid repos but are more “rolling” than the Stable repos.

Nevertheless, I have successfully used the testing repos to install some programs that are not available in the current Stable repo. This can be tricky, and can lead to problems, so don’t do it if you need something stable. But if all you are going for is Kodi-19 you may want to try this.

I just did this in a virtual machine. I have also done this with Kodi-18 when we were on Stretch. Here’s what I did:

Start with an updated/upgraded antiX-19.3 (Buster/Stable)

Open the Control Centre and select “Edit Config Files” from the System tab. Edit the file named debian.list and remove the hash (#) from in front of the Debian Testing section that starts with “deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing” and then Save the open file. (Note: you will reverse this action after Kodi-19 is installed)

Open a terminal and type:
    sudo apt update

After it is finished updating it will tell you there are packages to upgrade. DO NOT UPGRADE any packages.

To confirm that the candidate for installing Kodi is version 19 type:
    sudo apt policy kodi

You should see 19.1 at the top. 17.6 might also be on the list but 19 should be the candidate for installation.

To install kodi type:
    sudo apt install kodi kodi-bin kodi-data kodi-repository

You will see a LOT of information come on screen. If you are not sure you want to do this install yet just type “N” and it will abort. If you decide to go for it type “Y” and Kodi will be installed.

After Kodi is installed you will be back at the command prompt in the terminal. Before you go any further you should turn OFF the testing repository. Go back to the same debian.list file and put the hash (#) back in front of the Debian Testing line you previously removed it from. Then save the file again. Now go back to the terminal and type:

sudo apt update

If you had already done your upgrades prior to installing Kodi-19 you should get a message that says everything is up to date and there are no upgrades. If you did not run upgrades prior you may get a message that there are packages to upgrade. You can skip that for now.

To start Kodi type:
    kodi

That’s it.

Bear in mind that this installs Kodi-19 but that doesn’t mean it will work okay on your machine. Also, this is Debian’s version of Kodi and the Kodi forum does not like to help with the Debian version.

I can only speak for myself and I have done this type of thing a few times. But it is NOT recommended by the antiX devs and if you decide to try this you can’t expect too much assistance since it’s not really supported. This type of thing is more supported in MX. If your machine can run MX you might be better off trying that distro.

Good luck,
    seaken64

@yotoprules,

If you decide to switch to the testing repos you can get some tips from this thread. Xecure gives a good review of the steps to go from Buster/Stable to Testing.

Future antiX

Future antiX

@seaken64

I tried that, however the upgrade kills my network connection until I reboot. I then get the incorrect login screen, however my network connection is working again, but I cannot reinstall the desktop session.

Reinstallation of desktop-session-antix is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

But I have verified the internet connection is working, not sure why it cannot be downloaded.

not sure why it cannot be downloaded.

Probably because you threw away (outcommented) the “regular” antixlinux repository line in sources.d/antix.list and are attempting to use an antix suite labeled “testing” and are presuming that suite contains “nextgen versions of evvythang”, ala debian \\\testing\\\ (hint: it does not; its content is very sparsely populated)

takeaway:
    jojo wants a pony
    and jojo wants a pony NOW
    and jojo will not accept an ‘alpha’ pony

ok bye
    Have fun mashing keys an ‘sperimenting !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.