Web Browser and Update Menu don't work.

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Web Browser and Update Menu don't work.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by masinick Aug 11-12:32 pm.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

pianopraze

Installed AntiX.

Ran updates in LXTerminal (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade) rebooting in between until there were no more updates.

Web Browser and Update Menu don’t work.

Web Browser doesn’t open a browser window, it instantly says Mozilla Crash Reporter, with quit firefox and restart firefox being only options.

Update Menu does nothing when I click it. No windows open. Nothing.

I am a complete Linux noob. This is my third day. I have a very old Athelon 1.5 GB ram Geforce4 internal graphics system.

It is connecting to the internet as LXTerminal works, and Dillo works somewhat but looks very messed up. Never heard of that browser before, but it and LXTerminal prove I’m connecting to internet.

Help???

fatmac
    fatmac

With 1.5GB ram, you should be able to have Firefox working OK.
    LXTerminal is a program that runs on your computer, not the internet.
    Did you check your download? (Sounds like you may have got a bad download).
    Did it work running ‘live’ before installing it?

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Post in a terminal, inxi -r.
    Tell us which version of antiX you installed.

You may need to remove adobe-flash to stop the crashes or install palemoon nonsse2 version.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

pianopraze

I just saw the replies, I will test in the morning and reply, thank you 🙂

I ran it live to install antiX on the hard drive, but did not test the browser.

I thought the LXterminal was accessing the internet when I ran apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, those are just on my machine??? It looks like it is reaching out to external websites.

fatmac
    fatmac

Simple misunderstanding; the terminal issues commands via your computer to your router, which sends them out over the internet to the website hosting the distro files. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

pianopraze

fatmac: It does not work in the live version booting from CD. It insta crashes. I have no idea what “checking a download” is. I am total Linux noob. 3 days experience (4 but i didn’t do anything yesterday).

anticapitalista: inxi -r says a lot of things but none of them a version. I opened th sources.list.d and it says “Set as default for antiX-17”. I downloaded antiX 17 32 bit and burnt it to CD so that matches. I don’t see any exact version listed there though.

how do i remove adobe-flash? how do i install palemoon? hmm i typed sudo apt-get install palemoon and it seems to be installing. I am quickly learning to love the command sudo apt-get 🙂 Is downloading the non ss2 version a different command? I click palemoon and it doesn’t open, not even to give an error or crash message like firefox.

I apt-get Chromium and it says “The hardware on this system lacks support for the ss2 instruction set. The upstream chromium project no longer supports this configuration.”

So my machines too old to access the internet via a browser??? Any work arounds? If I’m understanding what I’m reading ss2 is something that is missing from my old Athlon processor so some apps won’t work because it doesn’t have ss2?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by pianopraze. Reason: typo

pianopraze

Ok, so I found Palemoon-nonsse2 in the Synaptic Package Manager and installed in (deinstalling regular Palemoon).

It started up! YAY! I bookmarked the welcome to Palemoon page, then clicked on the second tab that Palemoon opened automatically… CRASH!!!!

Reboot reboot safemode reset reboot etc etc… nothing. Always Crashing.

So, Macpup wouldn’t install or boot live. Puppy booted live but wouldn’t install. Bohdi would install but web browsers wouldn’t work and screen was flickering. AntiX would install and Screen only rarely flickered. I got Dillo to work but it is so non functional i can’t really use it for browsing.

Think it’s time to give up on this hardware. XP ran fine on it. I have some old motherboards laying around, I’ll see if I can’t frankenstein a system amongst all of them that would have a newer processor with ss2.

More than a little frustrated. Want to love linux as I hate Windows 10 which is basically spyware and Apple (love mac os) is getting stupid again taking all the ports, DVD etc out of their hardware. They go through these phases – they did it before with the clamshell macs and I went to windows for a few years – hope they will get over it and go back to making good hardware again. Not holding breath. That’s why i’m trying to learn linux.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

apt-get install palemoon-nonsse2

will install nonsse2 version.

apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin

will remove flash

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

pianopraze

WoW!

Uninstalled flash and palemoon works!

Firefox is working too… huh.

pianopraze

So I am typing from Firefox in AntiX here on the forum for the first time!

Sadly screen is glitching all over the place now. If i Scroll up or down screen is completely unreadable with constant glitches. I tried the “Install NVIDIA drivers that is built in but it says my system needs the legacy drivers and they are not supported.”

Update menu spikes the disk usage but nothing launches. But I can launch Synaptic package manager… soo???? Do I need that?

So Progress!!! But still not there yet. I’m so excited I can now browse the web.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

palemoon might work better.

Can you post the output in lxterminal of inxi -Fxz

I’ve got to go, but someone else might be around to help.

masinick
    masinick

Do the “display” issues – jiggle, distortion, whatever occurs, take place only in a Web browser?

What about a terminal, file manager, video player?

Do any of them display “clearly” without jitter, unwanted movement, etc?

Brian Masinick

pianopraze

Anytime you move anything on the screen it gets bad lines across screen.

It is because it’s old geforce 2 built in video card and the drivers don’t support it in antix.

On other linux distro (I think it was Bodhi) I was able to install the legacy geforce driver and it fixed it. But it limited the size of the screen to 640×480.

I gave up on that computer and have moved on to a slightly newer Windows 7 Dell computer.

masinick
    masinick

I figured the issues were hardware related. Glad you now have another hardware alternative.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.