Web Browsers

Forum Forums General Software Web Browsers

This topic contains 111 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by rokytnji Sep 18-8:56 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    masinick
    masinick

quite a field of alternatives to choose from, eh

four by nine

That’s a GREAT list of alternative Web browsers. I like what we’ve made available by default, but users looking for “something else” should NOT be dismayed because there are a tremendous list of alternative browsers available.

For those who really do not have much memory available there are alternatives, but as we know, each “choice” comes at some “cost”:

Either we get “The latest” capabilities (and read this to mean that they consume a GREAT deal of system resources, starting with as much memory as they can “grab”), or we can still get a few reasonably light Web browsers, but they lack many of the features that people tend to seek.

At the end of the day, we’ve made a few “reasonable” choices for the defaults, catering to a compromise between “newness”, functionality, support, sustainability, features, and performance. We also have some “light” alternatives available, which provide fast, simple access, but tend to be limited to only slightly more than viewing simple text pages and very modest page markup; as soon as the features creep in, these options have to give way to using the more feature rich alternatives.

At least we provide access to both extremes and choose defaults that balance each of these factors; I applaud the choices that have been made.

Brian Masinick

skidoo

I grabbed that image from a earlier slideshow presentation & didn’t pay attention to how outdated it is when I posted it here.

cyrilus31:
    “Midori seems to be dead. Epiphany is now Gnome Web.”

“qupZilla has been rebranded (is now “falkon” and will be a KDE project)”

Also, a notable new entrant: the chrome-derived “iridium” browser

greyowl

Is iridium available for antiX 32 bit systems?

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

skidoo

websearch “iridium browser”
    ^—v
    download page sez: 64bit only

noordinaryspider

I’m new, so sticking to the Firefox ESR and Dillo in the reps on my antiX machines for now. I will eventually be installing Icecat, which I have some experience with, and perhaps experimenting with Waterfox as well. I’ve used Palemoon and like it, so it is also an option for my lower resource machines.

I understand that there are security issues with W3M so I try not to overuse it but I can access so much more of the modern web than I can with the classic text browsers like lynx and links. Sometimes I just don’t WANT to look at a bunch of graphics.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a particularly sophisticated understanding of the bigger problems with Mozilla at the present time. It may come down to deciding who to trust. I hope not, but all of us have limited time and limited resources.

Gnu/Linux user #387554 (since 2005-4-17) with old thinkpads and a strong preference for free-as-in-freedom over proprietary software.

Having loved and dabbled in antiX for a long time, I find that I still have so very much to learn and that learning is so very enjoyable.

Anonymous

Yep I stick with a sure thing and use the default Firefox ESR that comes with Antix 17 it works for me.

I do download mp3 files so I install Netsurf for that and it works well.

I don’t have any complaits with Firefox 57 or Chromium on other Linux Distros I use.

masinick
    masinick

Me? I don’t always stick with the “tried and true”.

It all depends on the amount of time I have to experiment.

From past work in both application development and system development, plus systems administration and test administration, I have experience in most of the software development lifecycle at one point or another. I’ve built software from checking out code, making a change, checking in then running a build, compiling from scratch.

Many of the skills are dated but the methodology is there. That’s why fooling around with the code, browser, installation, etc. is not a big deal, but I understand what it takes to get to that point very well.

Brian Masinick

joe04

I’m a Pale Moon aficionado. Classic Mozilla addons have been a vital part of my web experience for over a decade, and Pale Moon preserves that rich heritage of extended functionality.

I recently made 3 small extensions:
    https://github.com/joey04/Pale-Moon-extensions/wiki

skidoo

https://github.com/joey04/Pale-Moon-extensions/wiki
    One particular annoyance fixed by blink-blank extension is going to your blank homepage with the alt+home hotkey. The address bar now has focus.

very cool. Thanks for that!

Anonymous

I installed pale and have to say it seems to work well as I haven’t used it since my days of using Puppy Linux.

skidoo
    cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

Thanks for the news skidoo. Well I will try palemoon

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Ist. I find it humorous in todays world that Mr. Robot is a point of reference for techy stuff.

2nd. I guess my country boy brain is a little more on the ball than Mr. Robot Techs.

[/url]

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo

toward clarification, some points:

we, as users of firefox-esr (as shipped in antiX) are unaffected by this

users of (the few, if any still standing) distros which actually curate and compile firefox (vs rebundling mozilla-issued binaries) are unaffecdted

screenshot in roky’s post, above, is orthogonal to this latest fiasco.
    One would need to be aware of the everchanging (across incremental releases) about:config preferences (prefkeys)…
    …and would need to disable (cough… opt-out) “Shield Studies”

this Mr.Robot thing (injected via mozilla auto-update, as a “system addon”) is just the latest manifestation of Mozilla’s repeated pursuit of dubious “partnerships” (e.g. ghostery-}cliqz , and pocket)

copypasted from elsewhere:

People aren’t upset over nothing, they are upset because Mozilla has betrayed their trust (again).

Mozilla states “Firefox is privacy-oriented”, and yet manages to ship it’s browser with bloat- and spyware out-of-the-box:
    Telemetry
    Shield Studies
    Pocket
    Flyweb
    Screenshots
    Google Analytics on about:addons
    Google Safebrowsing with site visits reported to Google

Why are these things being forced on me?
    Yes, I can disable it in about:config, but do I really want to go out of my way to tighten up a supposedly privacy-oriented browser?

Then, their actions:
    Cliqz scandal.
    Telling users to switch back to Google default search engine.
    Turning AMO into malware heaven by not requiring reviews.
    And now, this Looking Glass scandal.

Add to that the fact that all privacy-related settings are opt-in.
    You have to disable history, have to wrestle with cookies… wrestle to disable WebRTC (can’t fully disable, since back around ff v45) which is enabled by default and leaks your IP if you use VPN or proxy… disable phoning to Mozilla and Google. There are also super cookies (Dom storage) being enabled by default… referer header being sent to sites… speech recognition (yeah, why am I forced to have THAT in my browser?!?)… “camera stuff”, “screen sharing”, web telephony and who knows what else which is enabled by default in Firefox. It is actually pretty terrifying reading all that. Further details about these anti-features are explained in this AirVPN blog article

skidoo

This extension may be useful (eager to hear feedback)
    It forces use of h.264 instead of VP8/9 on YouTube: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/

Try h264ify if YouTube videos stutter, take up too much CPU, eat battery life, or make your laptop hot.

By default, YouTube streams VP8/VP9 encoded video. However, this can cause problems with less powerful machines because VP8/VP9 is not typically hardware accelerated.

In contrast, H.264 is commonly hardware accelerated by GPUs, which usually means smoother video playback and reduced CPU usage. h264ify makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.