Web Browsers

Forum Forums General Software Web Browsers

This topic contains 97 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by noClue Mar 14-1:57 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    koolstofje
    koolstofje

I use version 0.9.1 from github https://github.com/uzbl/uzbl/releases/tag/v0.9.1

..with https://www.uzbl.org/wiki/scripts and http://dquinton.github.io/debian-install/tutorial/10-uzbl.html it’s easy to put scrips on the right place.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by koolstofje.
    Forum Admin
    SamK

I use version 0.9.1 from github https://github.com/uzbl/uzbl/releases/tag/v0.9.1
    Thanks for that confirmation.

The links you gave are good sources of information yet they may not be simple enough for the target group I mentioned i.e. novice unsophisticated user who has minimal technical knowledge.

In asking whether you might participate in a how to, the idea was to assist others obtain a similar web browsing experience that you now enjoy. Because you have worked things out for yourself the way to do things now seem obvious and straightforward to you. Of course, as with many things in life, everything is easier once you know how.

To someone in the target group, it might be far from clear how to start, even with the links you have helpfully provided. For example will they know how to download something from github? When they get it will they know how to obtain a working app from it? These are just two generic problems someone might face.

Too often we assume things to be common knowledge, forgetting we also had to learn them. An example is compiling any app (not referring here to Uzbl alone). To expect a non technical user to learn the terminology, the methodology, the packages required to compile, how to troubleshoot the often received error messages, simply to try an app is a hugely daunting task. It also gives out the impression that the distro is aimed at highly competent people only, which is not an aim of antiX.

The idea of the how to was to ease the journey of users by passing on the often hard won knowledge of those who have already trodden the path. By simplifying that process at the outset, hopefully will lead to greater confidence in those that follow the path when it comes to their turn to help others.

koolstofje
    koolstofje

I’m working on a complete uzbl to use post, with most scripts
    I’ll put it later this weekend in antix software…

masinick
    masinick

I’m working on a complete uzbl to use post.
    I’ll put it later this weekend in antix software…

Looking forward to it, thanks!

Brian Masinick

skidoo

@skidoo, I noticed in the firefox-esr (and (firefox), that the image of the menus you used to help me was not showing up in either. Chrome did the trick but I’m not real excited about it. Looked for image settings and such but saw nothing askew. Any ideas?

Lately, after reading that imgur is messing with hotlinked images… I’ve been using the “vgy.me” image hosting site for uploaded images.
    I don’t know how long they’ve been around, whether their server is in Fiji or in Ukraine or ???, or whether their server is prone to timeouts.

Several days later (now), do you still find the same result? If no, let’s chalk it up to sun spots, eh.
    If yes, does Chrome perform DNS caching?
    Firefox does (unless you choose to disable, via about:config) and, if vgy.me is round-robin switching servers often (and not declaring short TTL) maybe firefox requests are occasionally missing the mark? I’m wondering if this is indeed the case, b/c I too have periodically encountered “broken” vgy.me inline images (which displayed perfectly fine in firefox during prior sessions).

BobC

I had to give up on Epiphany. I would click a tab that had already previously been loaded and 30 seconds later, it still was still blank.

I’m now trying uzbl but need to find a good way to get youtube videos to play on it, since I watch them pretty often. I’m going to try other configs to see if I can get it functional.

skidoo

trying uzbl but need to find a good way to get youtube videos to play on it

1) ytvp and fuzzy dice and tap your heels 3 times…

2) uzbl youtube-dl integration

koolstofje
    koolstofje

Thanks Skidoo ))

BobC

Installing gstreamer fixed youtube video playing with uzbl, per koolstofje instructions

apt install gstreamer1.0*

sleekmason
    sleekmason

In Chrome, typing:
    chrome://net-internals/#dns
    gives an array of options to change. Chrome keeps dns entries for about 24 hours, and auto flushes the cache on any changes to the hosts file.
    As for Firefox, I don’t know why there would be any difference. I’m actually good with chrome after fixing the flickering address bar. Opens fast and loads everything well on my Dell 1737 Studio with two G’s ram.
    Online there are a bunch of questions for the same but nothing illuminating. I’m guessing the host site as well as WordPress and such came up fine. You would think in this day and age this type of issue would never come up anymore.

BobC

Well, the conclusion of my testing is that Palemoon is the winner in the memory usage column. It used 302 mb for 4 tabs and ran fine. The 2nd place browser was Qupzilla at 326 mb, followed by uzbl and Firefox. Slimjet was not able to play a video and used 472 mb, anyway. Epiphany didn’t make it to the memory test due to performance problems, with tabs taking 30 seconds or more to display.

4 tabs tested were

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1
    https://www.uzbl.org/

UZBL browser, UZBL scripts, UZBL complete

All browsers had the same 4 tabs and were brought up one at a time.

Forum Admin
    SamK

Off Topic

@ BobC
    Just a hint in case it helps. antiX-17 ships with a terminal multiplexer installed. It’s called tmux. You might want to give it a try.

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

So weird. My conclusion is almost the opposite, Slimjet being the least demanding and my usual web browser. I suppose it highly depends on hardware and OS conf.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by cyrilus31.
    BobC

Off Topic

@ BobC
    Just a hint in case it helps. antiX-17 ships with a terminal multiplexer installed. It’s called tmux. You might want to give it a try.

I do remember things called terminal multiplexors, but those were devices with a bunch of serial ports that the terminals plugged into, connected to very oddball business systems.

Thanks, I’ll have to look at it…

Forum Admin
    SamK

Off Topic

I do remember things called terminal multiplexors…

The reason I mentioned tmux was because of the link to the video in your earlier post shows an app named screen. Both screen and tmux are terminal multiplexers. antiX ships with the modern tmux.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.