Web Browsers

Forum Forums General Software Web Browsers

• This topic has 111 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated Sep 18-8:56 am by rokytnji.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    masinickmasinick

Regarding browsers, their behavior and resources used, I have used most, but not 100% of the browsers mentioned.

All of them have behaved well on my Dell Inspiron 5558, a 64-bit laptop. My other two laptops are old 32-bit laptops that have performed flawlessly with most Linux distributions for the past decade, but now are only supported by distributions designed for older equipment (which antiX handles beautifully well). I have not used the old systems nearly as often recently because the newer hardware (which is also showing first signs of age) are not as responsive as they once were.

My guess is that the difference observations mentioned are more than likely the result of the broad range of equipment that is used across the community.

Brian Masinick

My web browser testing was just to try to get a few screens that any of the browsers should be able to handle, and simulate some of the tabs that are always open on my screen. “Your mileage may vary”, as they say, because you likely have different hardware and drivers, and sites you frequent, and I only tested on two of my machines, both 64 bit with nVidia graphics cards.

It isn’t unusual for me to have 50 to 100 browser tabs open at a time when I’m solving problems and writing code, because I just open another window and tabs to look into another problem, and code wise, on Linux, I don’t know what’s possible or difficult, or what options I have, what already exists, or what syntax will work or won’t. Hence my need to have an efficient browser that handles lots of tabs of various types, and bookmarks and history well, using a minimum amount of resources to do it, because although I do have a blazingly fast machine, I also support many friends/family with older machines of varying vintages and capabilities, and like to have standard tools on all. One of these days I may work on my Dillo based idea, where I would use a fully functional browser like Palemoon for the sites where I really need to, like my yahoo mail for example, and then have it default to opening all sites not specifically designated for the big browser in something like Dillo that needs very little in the way of resources to get the job done.

Off topic terminal usage:
    At the time I was just looking for a video to help me configure mrxvt-mini, and so that youtube video happened to be one of the tabs I used to test memory usage with. I expected a link to come up in my post, not the video. Mrxvt was a great find. Its super light, and pretty configurable, only lacking in UTF-8 support, whatever that is, and cant do the line draw characters for mc correctly without a LANG variable being set. Back in the old days I was working on oddball business system that were all command line or creating/running applications that ran on them, and the terminals were all there was to work with. Today, I use the terminal to run the non-gui apps in cases where the gui doesn’t really improve anything because they are super light and efficient to use compared to the monstrous gui programs, and many times I can just use a script to do whatever needs done rather than keying it. Anyway, mrxvt is great for running old style apps and running Midnight Commander and ncdu which are my crutches to avoid wasting my time navigating black screens, just like I loved Norton Commander back in the DOS days on PC’s.

PS: I watched that video, but am not allowed to edit that post, and I would hope a moderator could edit the post to put in some youtube video more appropriate, like one of Dolphin’s AntiX 17 tutorials in its place, so that people looking at it don’t get the impression that’s what AntiX 17 people use. I guess my mrxvt terminal linux tutorial search must have landed me on that one, because maybe there aren’t any mrxvt tutorials out there. Sorry for any confusion it might have caused…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by BobC.
    TonyVanDamTonyVanDam

As of May 2018, I’m currently using Brave, which most likely will be my new default browser. Its level of privacy, security, and uploading/downloading speed is far more superior than Chromium & Chrome. IMDHO, Brave is like a centrist compromise between Tor & Firefox

The fallout concerning Mozilla Foundation forcing all Linux-users to use pulseaudio or else had convince me to discontinue using Firefox AND Firefox-esr as my default browser. And beside, I always liked alsa better than pulseaudio any day of the week!

Palemoon is OK, but that browser doesn’t have enough good add-ons/extensions for privacy and security. And I think there are future plans for Basilisk to become the new Palemoon.

koolstofjekoolstofje

Brave is ok only the install is 400mb

Greyowl: Unfortunately, Brave is only available for linux 64 bit systems.(This original post BELONGS to, and should be attributed to Greyowl. I thought that I was quoting and replying, my sincere apology for accidentally altering your post!

Even on 64-bit systems, there are flags that have to be used — unless you use Brave in a sandbox environment.

Try it out. More than likely you will have to add the command flag –nosandbox ( or whatever the exact flag is… )

Once you do, it is a good browser for reducing “browser tracking”. ✔😎

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by masinick.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by masinick. Reason: greyowl

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

masinickmasinick

Unfortunately, Brave is only available for linux 64 bit systems.

Here is YOUR post!

Brian Masinick

masinickmasinick

I checked, just out of curiosity, to see if Brave is available om Chromebooks – so far it isn’t, but it IS available for 64-bit Linux, Windows and MacOS X.

Brian Masinick

TonyVanDamTonyVanDam

Brave is ok only the install is 400mb

Pick your poison:

Brave, that will take up the most room on your hard drive.
    OR
    Firefox, that will force you to install pulseaudio in order to get sound out of it.

And for the record, I did try apulse and it did not work for me at all. It’s pretty obvious that Mozilla wants to do the “their way or the highway” approach with Firefox’s configuration.

Brave is not available for 32-bit Linux.

Discussions and decisions regarding what software to provide as default and as optional in a distro must be common in both developer and user communities. Some people are more concerned with office applications, some not so. Some people are more concerned with multimedia applications, some not so. Some people are more concerned with programming applications, some not so. Etc., etc. However, I would bet that everyone is using a browser on a regular basis. Therefore, it follows, everyone has a vested interest in a distro’s choice of browser, default and optional. That’s why I find this discussion so interesting. That’s why I’ve been following it for a while.

I’ve already posted comments and provided limited browser “user data” in this thread. I must report that I also found myself motivated to try out some different browsers, including ones I’d never previously heard of. In the process I’ve gathered a little more “user data” and I’ve had a bit of fun.

Recently I started playing with Slimjet. The latest 32-bit version performs remarkably well on my old systems. The only plug-ins I installed are the default offering of Ad blocker and the addition of the Youtube downloader. Slimjet loads pages quickly, scrolls smoothly, and seems to have all the functionality of it’s parent Chromium browser. Yet Slimjet has a small footprint, uses little RAM, and is lighter on the CPU when compared to all the other 32-bit browsers I’ve tried, including my previous favorite, Pale Moon. I hope others here will give Slimjet a try on their 32-bit machines and post back to confirm or deny my impression of it.

Thanks to everyone for all the good information and opinions for me to digest. Thanks to the developers and keepers of antiX for a great distro.

Recently I started playing with Slimjet. The latest 32-bit version performs remarkably well on my old systems. The only plug-ins I installed are the default offering of Ad blocker and the addition of the Youtube downloader. Slimjet loads pages quickly, scrolls smoothly, and seems to have all the functionality of it’s parent Chromium browser. Yet Slimjet has a small footprint, uses little RAM, and is lighter on the CPU when compared to all the other 32-bit browsers I’ve tried, including my previous favorite, Pale Moon. I hope others here will give Slimjet a try on their 32-bit machines and post back to confirm or deny my impression of it.

Ditto about Slimjet. It updates often and easily. There only seems to be a glitch with playing video in sites like Facebook. I’ve used a fix (swapping out the libffmpeg.so file in the Slimjet directory) but this seems necessary on every update.

Ditto about Slimjet. It updates often and easily. There only seems to be a glitch with playing video in sites like Facebook. I’ve used a fix (swapping out the libffmpeg.so file in the Slimjet directory) but this seems necessary on every update.[/quote]

How do you go about “swapping out the libffmpeg.so file”?

How do you go about “swapping out the libffmpeg.so file”?

The Slimjet forum has various comments on getting video to work. Some have mentioned taking the libffmpeg.so from the Chrome directory (supposing you run Chrome), but the forum admin has also included a download link and I believe there is one in the FAQ. This version of libffmpeg.so replaces the one in /Opt/Slimjet. My Slimjet video was working fine through swapping the linked libffmpeg.so for the default one. But an update knocked out the video again. I had preserved the libffmpeg.so from the download link that had worked before. But the fix of swapping it into the directory of the update failed. So the Slimjet folks need to coordinate versions of libffmpeg.so with updated versions of Slimjet. At least, I think this is the issue. I’m hoping someone using Slimjet has a better handle on the problem than mine. I really do like the browser.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by malanrich.

Thanks for sharing this info on SlimJet’s video problem.
    I have been interested in trying SlimJet, but think I might wait until this problem is fixed.
    Is this video problem only with Facebook?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by greyowl.

masinickmasinick

I haven’t (at least to this point) experienced any issues with the Flashpeak Slimjet browser, but it’s quite possible that I haven’t encountered the video issue because I don’t view videos very often, and I might be using a different resource. In any case, my general experiences with Slimjet are quite positive.

I also use a lot of test Web browsers. Sometimes I use these instead of the default versions that come with various systems and I have plenty of disk space, not only for multiple browsers, but also for many distributions installed on the same hardware. I’ve been a frequent Nightly, Beta, and release test version user of Firefox for many years and I often do the same with Seamonkey as well. But I’ve been getting around with Brave, Chrome, Chromium, Pale Moon, Conqueror, Waterfox, Vivaldi, and probably a few others I’ve neglected to mention. Browsers and text editors are things within distributions I use and experiment with a lot. I’m not a master of many of the most recent video advancements, though I’ve started to use and investigate a few from time to time.

Brian Masinick

Thanks for sharing this info on SlimJet’s video problem.
    I have been interested in trying SlimJet, but think I might wait until this problem is fixed.
    Is this video problem only with Facebook?

I’ve been doing some general diagnostic surfing with Slimjet (I’m on it now). Surfing is smooth but video capability is spotty. Just as I think I’ve found a consistency (like not being able to play YouTube), one or two play fine. As with Facebook, Yahoo’s videos are pretty consistent in not playing. Videos posted on a Google site seem to work fine. I tried removing bunsen-pepperflash and installing adobe-flashplugin but without any change in Slimjet performance that I could see. I’m not a big video watcher, so I don’t know any of the gritty details of troubleshooting video problems.

It would be helpful if any Slimjet users here could post experiences with video. I’m running Slimjet 18.0.4.0 32-bit.

[Edit]

Success! I’ve discovered the fix! For some reason my version of Slimjet and the version of libffmpeg.so in my /opt/Slimjet directory got out of sync. I dunno how, but they did. Here is the fix:

1. Go here for libffmpeg.so: https://www.slimjet.com/en/libffmpeg.php

Note that the version of libffmpeg.so is for the latest Slimjet (18.0.5.0).

2. Follow the Linux link to download libffmpeg.so from github. Choose the right 32-bit or 64-bit version. Download the zip file, extract libffmpeg.so and drop it into /opt/Slimjet. On the properties tab, make sure Owner:Group is set to root:root.

3. Important: If you update Slimjet, make sure your browser version and libffmpeg.so version stay in sync. The link to the libffmpeg.so page above indicates what version of Slimjet it is for. If it’s a mismatch, you won’t get video.

I’m now getting all video without a hitch. I don’t see why this doesn’t make Slimjet a contender for default browser.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.