What are you “here” with today?

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX What are you “here” with today?

• This topic has 2,931 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated Feb 28-8:41 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,932 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I’m here with antiX 21 runit on an old, but capable HP 5000 series desktop, specifically the model s5747c.

I “think”, but I am not 100% positive, that this particular model and series was “inherited” from the old Compaq 5000 desktop series that was inherited from the assets that Hewlett Packard acquired from the [Tandem, Compaq, Digital Equipment Corporation] acquisitions. It’s a solid desktop and you can see that one of the modules in it came from a 2010 board, so my guess is that this machine was manufactured in late 2010-2011. It runs quite well with antiX 21 runit “Base”.

inxi -Fxz
      System:
        Kernel: 5.11.0-21.2-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 
        Desktop: IceWM 2.9.7 
        Distro: antiX-21-runit_x64-base Grup Yorum 30 October 2021 
        base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
      Machine:
        Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: s5747c v: N/A 
        serial: <filter> 
        Mobo: PEGATRON model: 2A6C v: 5.00 serial: <filter> 
        BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.01 date: 09/29/2010 
      CPU:
        Info: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon II X2 255 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K10 
        rev: 3 cache: L2: 2 MiB 
        flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 12456 
        Speed: 3100 MHz min/max: 800/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3100 2: 3100 
      Graphics:
        Device-1: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
        driver: N/A bus-ID: 00:0d.0 
        Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: nouveau,vesa 
        unloaded: fbdev,modesetting resolution: 1024x768 
        OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1 128 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.5 
        direct render: Yes 
      Audio:
        Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
        driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:05.0 
        Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.11.0-21.2-liquorix-amd64 running: yes 
      Network:
        Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
        type: network bridge driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: e480 
        bus-ID: 00:07.0 
        IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
        Device-2: Ralink RT2790 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe vendor: Lite-On 
        driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 
        IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
      Drives:
        Local Storage: total: 698.64 GiB used: 11.1 GiB (1.6%) 
        ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3750528AS size: 698.64 GiB 
      Partition:
        ID-1: / size: 681.18 GiB used: 11.1 GiB (1.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
      Swap:
        ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 5.5 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) 
        dev: /dev/sda2 
      Sensors:
        System Temperatures: cpu: 25.5 C mobo: N/A 
        Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
      Info:
        Processes: 138 Uptime: 3m Memory: 3.6 GiB used: 434.7 MiB (11.8%) 
        Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 1253 Shell: Bash 
        v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.06 

--
      Brian Masinick

christophe

Mine’s a Dell latitude E6400 – Core2Duo. From 2007 — That’s 15 years old!

I run antiX from a little Sandisk Cruzer Fit. One of those tiny onces that are hard to grab hold of & easy to lose – I chose it because it wouldn’t be sticking out the side of the laptop much.

I bought this laptop on ebay for something like $40.00. No hdd/ssd. But I don’t need one with antiX. antiX’s live system runs great on it (as always)!

Live-usb; only home persistence (remastering after any upgrades or new software additions).

My current daily driver. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

blur13

Sandisk Cruzer Fit, I think I got one of those. Doesnt it become burning hot with use?

I’m on a custom built desktop rig from 2010. It was top of the line back then. Nothing much to brag about now 🙂

Quad Core Intel Core i7 860, 8 GB ram. GeForce GTX 260.

Brian Masinick

@christophe: I had TWO laptops that were ~2007 models, a Gateway 2000 17″ PA6A – more like a “portable computer” than a true laptop, and a Lenovo 3000 Y410; both were 32-bit models, so I got rid of them back around 2018 when I retired and moved from Michigan to South Carolina. Both were solid systems and always worked well, but there were not many systems I could use on them any more, so I went with the Dell Inspiron 5558 for several years as my daily driver. It originally had an 8 TB HDD and 8 GB of memory so it always had plenty of room, but the large, but relatively slow HDD was eventually the deciding point to do something with it.

A couple of years ago now I got an Acer Chromebook 715 and it was amazingly faster than the Dell Inspiron. Several months later I found a good deal on an Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-55 so I picked that up too. Both used SSD, in fact, I’m certain that the Aspire 5 has NVME SSD; capacity in sheer size is OK but speed is excellent.

Realizing this, I decided to get an SSD for the Dell Inspiron 5558. I did NOT get NVME technology; not being an expert on the exact specs and what was needed, I went conservative and just picked up a relatively inexpensive SSD with around 480 GB capacity for the Dell. It did wonders for the speed, so clearly I/O throughput was the primary limitation on that system, with plenty of memory, multiple processors and (now) somewhat aging CPU and cache technology, but still more than ample for most of my simple needs. It DID indeed do the trick. Now I have THREE systems that are reasonably responsive; the Acer Chromebook 715, the Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 and the Dell Inspiron 5558.

What’s pleasantly surprising is this more than decade old HP Desktop 5000 series, the Hewlett-Packard s5747c with CPU: Info: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon II X2.
            While I’m not sure just how many distributions would run REALLY well on this system, it’s absolutely PERFECT for antiX 21 “runit” Base. The BIOS is pretty slow getting to the boot loader, but once I start the boot loader and boot antiX 21 (and I’ve tried it with 4.4, 4.14, 4.19, 5.11, and now one of the latest Liquorix kernels), it runs GREAT with ANY of them.

Moreover, EVEN WITH a RAM eating browser running, most of the time I can be in the 700-800 MB memory usage rang, and I do have around 4 GB of memory available (Conky says 3.59 G usable RAM, 757 M currently used out of 3.59 G); not bad at all, with acceptable response and performance! Hurrah once again for antiX, which keeps these old relics working FABULOUSLY!

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I have a few other “throw away” systems, one an old HP laptop with a broken hinge between the display and the keyboard, but it still works, and an EXCELLENT IBM/Lenovo X201. I think it’s the Lenovo that loses network connectivity after a while, so something may be wrong there, or it may just be dusty and need a good, careful cleaning.

Anyway, it is THESE systems that are the featured ones for antiX because so few distributions work well on them.
              MX Linux, Debian, antiX, and usually EndeavourOS are the ones I can typically get to work on these pieces of hardware that some people send to the curb or the recycling center… I’ve found ways to use them, and I’ve also donated a few of these systems to places that can reuse them; that’s what I did with the old Gateway and Lenovo 32-bit models, only to find a few more OLD systems to put into effective use!

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

BTW, I was using Google Chrome Unstable on antiX 21 a few moments ago and it was working well, but I exited, and came back with the recently updated Palemoon 31.0.0 and it consumes MORE than 100 MB LESS resources than an equivalent workload with Chrome Unstable; mind you, Chrome was working fine, but for simple browsing like this forum, Palemoon does the job just as well and with significantly fewer resources. I’ll check regular Google Chrome and Firefox just for comparison, but I think the others consume 75-100 MB more memory for similar workloads.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Yup, Firefox 100 is using slightly more memory than Google Chrome was, currently 765 M / 3.59 G listed on Conky. I had Google Chrome Unstable taking up 757 M / 3.59 G, similar, but nominally less…
                  Palemoon is WAY more efficient, though it doesn’t contain EVERY feature the “big” browsers offer. 🙂

--
                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Stock Google Chrome comes in more efficiently than Firefox 100 without a doubt. Looks like Firefox consumes a larger amount of cache memory, presumably for faster site loads; it does seem to get in here quicker than either Palemoon or Google Chrome; otherwise, once here, all of them perform the same tasks and are relatively indistinguishable without doing a “deep dive” to see who they’re sending information to or what they are “saving”.

I’m not particularly concerned about those things; for those of you who are concerned, at least there are multiple alternatives to choose from, including Ungoogled Chromium.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Anyway, the experiments here with hardware that’s more than ten years old, running antiX, has been enjoyable.
                      Getting off this desktop now to explore one of my other old relics in the corner…

--
                      Brian Masinick

ModdIt

My board is Gigabyte model: B75M-D3H CPU I5 2500K 8GB Memory. GeForce GT 710 Graphics
                        one of the better Sound blaster Audigy cards and an SSD as boot device.

Board and CPU are if I remember correctly from end 2012.
                        Always fast enough for general use and will overclock, I usualy run it at nominal frequency.

Browser wise, Palemoon is unusable on quite a few sites, I mostly start either UngoogledChromium
                        or LibreWolf. Librewolf is slightly lighter and more sprightly than latest fox, expected as without
                        built in extras. i.e. ping extension, glean for Telemetry etc.

Yuzeff

Hello everyone!

I use Dell Vostro 1710 and have currently running: antiX-21 (rox-icewm), Firefox 99.0.1, Qmmp playing a radio stream, ROXTerm, couple of rox-filer windows, KeepassXC. Conky shows it is currently 765 MB (out of 3830 MB) of RAM used, 0 swap.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Yuzeff.

My Dell Vostro 1710: Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, Intel 965GM Integrated Graphics, 1440x900, antiX 22 full.

Brian Masinick

@yuzeff: It looks like your configuration may be somewhat more efficient than mine, given that you were running a similar overall configuration, but a few more small apps, yet with similar overall memory usage.

Anyway, nice stuff; glad yours is working well too!

I found out what was “acting up” on the Lenovo X201. It has a dock that provides additional ports, slots, and also a DVD player.
                            I think that due to this system’s age and also that it mostly sits in a corner near the floor, when the dock is added, it may impede the air flow, and given that it’s probably on the dusty side to begin with, it either overheats or otherwise loses network signal.

On a whim, I took off the dock, noticed I could still plug in both power and a USB mouse with the available ports. Yeah!
                            Everything works and the network stays up! I’ll probably use this system more often; it has an excellent keyboard with good feel, the unit is solid and well built.

I put EndeavourOS on it, but that’s NO PROBLEM! I can ALSO run antiX on it directly from USB any time I want! I’m pretty certain I have both antiX 19 and 21 on USB; I certainly can PUT it on one if not, but I’m almost positive I have multiple sticks with some version of our favorite distro! Here we go, checking this X201 out now that I’ve solved the unstable network issue on this unit!

--
                            Brian Masinick

Yuzeff

it has an excellent keyboard with good feel, the unit is solid and well built.

Isn’t that great?! Human genius built that!

My Dell Vostro 1710: Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, Intel 965GM Integrated Graphics, 1440x900, antiX 22 full.

Brian Masinick

@yuzeff: By any chance, could *you* be one of those “human genius” hardware experts who brought us such high quality technology?

We have much FASTER equipment today, but the desktops and laptops from the last two decades of the previous century were much more rugged and mechanically superior to the fast, but cheap plastic stuff we typically deal with on all but the very high end, expensive equipment.

The unit I’m using right now was previously owned by my younger, but much more affluent brother in law, who is an emergency room physician. He was going to get rid of three old computers that were apparently sitting in storage. When he moved a couple of years ago, he asked me if I could make use of any of them; I took all three off his hands and use them as experimental systems to get out distributions that work well with older hardware, like our “favorite”: antiX!

--
                                Brian Masinick

christophe

Sandisk Cruzer Fit, I think I got one of those. Doesnt it become burning hot with use?

I have felt it hot a time or two, but it’s small & out of the way. It seems to perform well…
                                  I like how it’s like I’m not running from USB, because, well, I don’t really see it.

You guys with 8GB RAM. Hmmm. I think I’d run with the “toram” boot code all the time if I had that. As it is, with 4, I’ve got more than I ever use.
                                  antiX is great!

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,932 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.