What controls tlp on antiX-23-runit?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions What controls tlp on antiX-23-runit?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Apr 16-2:19 pm by anti-apXos.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    anti-apXos

To help optimize battery efficiency and power states, antiX comes pre-installed with tlp, which is cool, but actually I don’t use it on my laptop. Nevertheless, I still ocassionally see brief blips of tlp activity in my process list even though I have TLP_ENABLE=0 set in /etc/tlp.conf. I’m not sure, but I think this mostly happens sometimes when I’m charging directly from solar and the current is uneven, so I guess something must be detecting power state changes and repeatedly triggering the check to see if tlp is enabled.

My question is what actually controls tlp actvity on antiX? Something has to check the /etc/tlp.conf file to see if tlp is enabled, right? On systemd-based distros, it’s a systemd service apparently, but I don’t see any services related to tlp in either the runit managed service directory or the sysvinit directories on my system.

Is it provided by a kernel module? I don’t see anything in lsmod output that looks promising other than “battery,” but I already tried removing that module and it’s responsible for creating the /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 interface. There’s a lot of modules on the list, though, and I don’t understand many of them.

I also thought maybe it was udev, which would make sense, but I don’t see any rules related to it in /etc/udev/rules.d

What’s the deal here? How can tlp work without something telling it to work? I’d rather not uninstall it since it’s useful for comparison and I also sometimes use the tlp-stats command.

abc-nix

Check /lib/udev
        grep -r tlp /lib/udev/*

Based on the manual, systemd, udevd and network-manager are the main daemons that start tlp

anti-apXos

Yeah, there it is. I didn’t even know there was (tons) more rules in /lib. I haven’t had a lot of experience with udev and always before it was the directory in /etc.

Apparently, a symlink in /etc/udev/rules.d that points to /dev/null and has the same name as a rule file in /lib/udev/rules.d will disable all the rules in that file, so that’s what I did. Hopefully I’ll remember this if I ever want to start using tlp regularly again…

Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.