What do I do when antiX comes out with Bullseye version?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions What do I do when antiX comes out with Bullseye version?

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 22-11:27 pm by BobC.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    r_chase

I guess a better way to ask this is “what do I do when antiX comes out with an upgrade made with Debian Bullseye?”
    I would guess nothing for now, but I am pretty eager for it.

christophe
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

You can reinstall antiX with the new verison. Normally, the home partition can be “re-used” (kept; not reformatted), if you have a seaparate one.
    Or you can keep using antiX 19. Support normally continues for as long as Debian support does, so a couple more years, anyway.

When antiX 19 was released, anticapitalista posted an upgrade path for antiX 17.4.1 to 19.0 in a thread. It was posted as experimental, but I read good things about it.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/upgrading-antix-17-to-antix-19/

You could adapt it to the current situation, or keep an eye to see if someone has anything further to say about it.

But like you said, we have to wait for now…

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

r_chase
    Helpful
    Up

Yeah, I guess I’ll wait a bit.

I did forget to mention that I use the SysVinit edition of antiX 19.4. I bet SysVinit will eventually be replaced by runit, but I’m not sure.

Anyway, I want to say to the developers that they do great work. My ThinkPad has been running better than it has before. Thanks again in advance.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Sysvinit will still be the “preferred” init system. Runit is just a plus.
    When released, if not official, a non-official post with some long instructions should be available (I will write them myself if needed) to help upgrade from 19 to 21 for those who want it, so don’t worry about it.
    Also, the new installer seems to also have the option to preserve the home folder even if it doesn’t have its own separate partition for it, so a reinstall to a21 preserving home is also a possibility.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

r_chase
    Helpful
    Up

SysVinit will still be the preferred init system.

Thanks for letting me know.

Also, the new installer seems to also have the option to preserve the home folder even if it doesn’t have its own separate partition for it, so a reinstall to a21 preserving home is also a possibility.

That sounds awesome. Hopefully there’ll be a step-by-step guide on that too, right?

Thanks again though.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I switched a copy of my main system from sysvinit to runit while upgrading from 19 to 21, only needing to remove one package if I recall correctly. I haven’t switched my main system, yet. I copy it to a test system first and work with it there. I haven’t decided yet whitch version my main system should run.

If the method used is based on re-using the /home directory, keep in mind that likely the newest version of the same add on packages need to be installed.

I’m no expert on this, just experimenting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.